Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

June 2019 Recruiting Thread

675 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I was wondering more based on the fact that we were recruiting, or at least staying in contact with and working out Whitehead.  Hopefully we can land 1 of Sewell, or Flowe.  If not, I sure would love to go hard after Simpson and then Tisdol.

Seems like we've almost shifted to Sewell or bust... I haven't heard much about Flowe in a long time from anyone with connection to UGA. Alabama still trying to target him, but seems like he's pretty heavy Clemson lean right now?

If we land Sewell, I won't regret that approach one bit. If we miss, I certainly hope we've been working stronger options than Whitehead in the background.

16 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Seems like we've almost shifted to Sewell or bust... I haven't heard much about Flowe in a long time from anyone with connection to UGA. Alabama still trying to target him, but seems like he's pretty heavy Clemson lean right now?

If we land Sewell, I won't regret that approach one bit. If we miss, I certainly hope we've been working stronger options than Whitehead in the background.

Agree 100%.

95Dawg likes this

I just worry about Sewell being to big to play ILB.   He’s already 270.  Is he going to be able to go sideline to sideline vs spread teams.

VA F.O. likes this

15 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

I just worry about Sewell being to big to play ILB.   He’s already 270.  Is he going to be able to go sideline to sideline vs spread teams.

I think I read where he would most likely drop a little weight and play in 250-255 range.  His football instincts trump any speed concerns.

4 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Did we not look at Steiner?  Seems like a Dean clone, based off size and athleticism. 

Just look at his build. Where would you play him?

Every possible choice has serious issues and better players available that those positions.

He just has an awkward build for a prospect. He's a man without a position, at least for us.

4 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Did we not look at Steiner?  Seems like a Dean clone, based off size and athleticism. 

Rusty said something about him being an amazing tester, but not popping on film and not being known for physicality. He said that Steiner reminds him of Adonis Thomas.

fibonaccisquared likes this

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I think I read where he would most likely drop a little weight and play in 250-255 range.  His football instincts trump any speed concerns.

Yep. A few different places have said that the coaches would want to see him playing under 260.

2 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

There isn't much to hear because we haven't had much contact. He isn't at the opening either. 

We'll know more when he visits again (I think in July)

fibonaccisquared likes this

2 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

There isn't much to hear because we haven't had much contact. He isn't at the opening either. 

We'll know more when he visits again (I think in July)

Of course right after I make that post I see this tweet update from this AM.... :lol: 

The Great American likes this

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I don't know about that.

His size definitely worries me. Right now, I could see him growing out of the position, but I'll leave that evaluation up to the staff.

This tweet ended up showing kind of awkward in my twitter feed as a close up of Washington's mid-section/crotch on the "auto zoom in" with larger pics on twitter... :lol: - oddly when you copy/paste the link in the forum here though, it correctly moves the picture up to his head.

2019-07-02-12-56-58.png

23 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I don't know about that.

His size definitely worries me. Right now, I could see him growing out of the position, but I'll leave that evaluation up to the staff.

He ran a 4.79 at 266 lbs.  That time will certainly improve if he drops some weight.  Nakobe Dean ran a 4.74 at 216 pounds.

But his strength isn't in straight line speed, even though its great for a man his size. What is impressive about him is his agility and explosion. The picture I posted last night of his results show he finished in the 99th percentile in the 3 cone drill. 

Make no mistake, Sewell is an athletic freak and if he plays around 250 will easily be under 4.7 and possibly even under 4.6 with some proper training. 

Just reading some reports from the opening this morning, there was considerable buzz from most in attendance about a guy his size being able to move the way he does.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

7 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I just have concerns about him being able to get under and stay at that weight

At this point, I would argue that Scott Sinclair and Co can walk on water when it comes to getting guys to good/healthy weights (see: Davis, Jordan; Kindley, Solomon; etc) ... I have very little concern that they could get Sewell playing at a healthy and productive weight in Athens. 250 might not be reasonable, but staying under 260 should be a pretty easy job.

Posted (edited)

JeffSentell Posts: 3,497 admin

Ah.... the popular topic on Tank Bigsby. I've been told by one source that he had a low time of 4.46 seconds at the combine testing.

I'd like to pair up a few more sources to get a good read on that one. That's a pretty big number for where he might stand with a lot of schools.

If that 4.46 is legit or even within a tenth of a second at 4.56.....welll.....

VMWJCW2YEPX3.png

Edited by RandomFan
95Dawg and Turkeydawg like this

4 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

I just have concerns about him being able to get under and stay at that weight

He is a freak at LB

if his weight goes up instead of down, he would be a freak DL - I will take either.

According to Evans instagram he has removed OSU and OU from his top 5 and replaced them with Texas and a&m

He visited both recently and reports were that his parents weren't very happy with his first top 5 and want him to at least consider in state schools til the end 

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

According to Evans instagram he has removed OSU and OU from his top 5 and replaced them with Texas and a&m

He visited both recently and reports were that his parents weren't very happy with his first top 5 and want him to at least consider in state schools til the end 

Shocker. Just like we all called from the beginning. 

30 minutes ago, Carter said:

:lol: Sorry man, I’m on it lol

btw just saw Spider-Man Far From Home.... so so so so sooo good

awesome!!  I want to see it bad!!!