Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

June 2019 Recruiting Thread

675 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

Top 5 pick lol.. I’m really high on this kid. 6’2 205 with 4.3 speed and can cover is near unheard of

DB is one of the areas where I've been waiting for us to get truly elite in

At first I just wanted solid depth across the board, since at least some areas *cough* OL *cough* WR *cough* didn't even have that, but now I'm looking for 1st round picks. I want 1st round picks at every position lol.

QB check

WR hopefully Pickens

TE maybe after 2020 if we get our guys

RB yep

OL All hail Pittman

DL we'll see what Walker and maybe Carter can do

Pass rusher hoping Nolan and Johnson can do it, plus Cox, and Anderson lotta great options here

LB hoping Tindall can do it, and Dean lookin like it, plus Sherman next year, and maybe more

DB Campbell has needed time same for Lecounte, Ringo definitely looks ready to start year one though

Wardog357 and Bdawg58 like this

OU word on Raym was he was expected to announce today or tomorrow, but that changed and now think he'll pick by end of week, and announce early next week

OU insiders genuinely have no idea, which is a big change for the "all OU" of a week ago

g-dawg, Wardog357 and RandomFan like this

Taking with a heaping shovel of salt but...

From OU member.

Jon12 5640 
4 hours ago 
I talked to one of his teammates at the lake this last weekend (friends with his dad). They don't think Raym ends up at OU. Of course it's just an opinion, but they are very close to him.

RandomFan, Wardog357 and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Dang.  What are the odds.

yeah that's been a common issue.. lol  one is from georgia and the other is from north carolina i believe. 

29 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m hearing Oklahoma will be good to us, very good

trent put in his forecast..  :) 

21 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Would you take Javian Hester if it meant losing Justin Robinson?

No?

The staff is very high on Robinson, for a reason. No matter what the rankings say about him. 

Wardog357 and g-dawg like this

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

No?

The staff is very high on Robinson, for a reason. No matter what the rankings say about him. 

I've heard the same before. I've just learned to never assume anything no matter how many reports say "the staff is very high on him"

It feels like every year now we hear that exact thing on multiple players who ended up getting upgraded.

FWIW, I'm not saying he will be replaced, not at all actually. The only reason that I asked was because that post said Oklahoma was going to be good to us, and I went and checked who else was a recruit we were in it for in Oklahoma, and was reminded that the Oklahoma insider put in their CB back at the beginning of the month for UGA

I do like Hester's highlights better if I'm being honest, but obviously there's more to it than that. 

I just saw the CB and wanted to get other people's opinions

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Sam Pittman is so good that it frightens me.  I keep thinking another SEC school is gonna offer him $3mm/yr.

Can't see a scenario where another school is willing to pay a *pure* OL coach 3M/year without also paying their OC 3M+, which likely means paying your HC another 4-6M in short order... That's getting pretty pricey for 3 coaches before you have a DC or the rest of your staff. I could see someone offering just shy of 2M at most, with a director of recruiting/associate head coach title or something... but I think we'd find a way to match or get close enough to keep him. Keep in mind he's already the highest paid OL coach at 900k/year and has the associate head coach title, which is only 50k/year less than James Coley at OC.

Georgia was only the third program to have their total Assistant coaches salary pool exceed 6M in the last year or so IIRC. To get Sam Pittman at 2-3M, you're nearly topping that number with OC and OL coach alone... With ticket revenues on the decline, I think we might actually see salary compression on teams that aren't constantly in the hunt?

...and Pittman has said before he doesn't have any desire to be an OC if I recall correctly. I think we'll do whatever it takes within reason to keep him but I also don't think he's purely driven by money... and he has said before that he'd like to make Athens his last coaching stop for whatever that's worth. I think his wife, Jamie, also really likes it in Athens.

Yo_Lover likes this

12 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

I've heard the same before. I've just learned to never assume anything no matter how many reports say "the staff is very high on him"

It feels like every year now we hear that exact thing on multiple players who ended up getting upgraded.

FWIW, I'm not saying he will be replaced, not at all actually. The only reason that I asked was because that post said Oklahoma was going to be good to us, and I went and checked who else was a recruit we were in it for in Oklahoma, and was reminded that the Oklahoma insider put in their CB back at the beginning of the month for UGA

I do like Hester's highlights better if I'm being honest, but obviously there's more to it than that. 

I just saw the CB and wanted to get other people's opinions

yeah that CB was interesting.. i was a bit surprised, but a few guys who talked about aki not being in the class also said justin robinson would not be in the class either.  i am not saying that is the case at all since I really do like justin robinson and it sounds like our stuff does as well.. he is very underrated.. his rating doesn't not equal what you see on the field. 

35 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yeah that CB was interesting.. i was a bit surprised, but a few guys who talked about aki not being in the class also said justin robinson would not be in the class either.  i am not saying that is the case at all since I really do like justin robinson and it sounds like our stuff does as well.. he is very underrated.. his rating doesn't not equal what you see on the field. 

What came to mind to me was how Stackhouse was taking all these visits and was supposedly clearly now on the out in this class.

So why does this not apply to Robinson who has continually said he is taking all his visits?

Also, could he be possibly taking these visits because we aren't recruiting as hard as we could and he's keeping his options open?

I don't know but I can speculate at least

Paul Johnson used to take alot of criticism for retracting offers for kids who wanted to take visits elsewhere. Richt never did that.

23 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Sam Pittman is so good that it frightens me.  I keep thinking another SEC school is gonna offer him $3mm/yr.

They should pay him more than the HC just to lure him away.  

8 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Imagine Ringo & Stephenson on the outside.  Those are two big corners with elite, NFL skill sets.  Ringo could finish as top prospect this cycle

I don't see how Stephenson doesn't grow into a safety.

48 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I don't see how Stephenson doesn't grow into a safety.

Ringo will be just as big, just an inch taller.  Look at Stephenson’s hips and ball recognition.  I’d keep him at corner

6 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Ringo will be just as big, just an inch taller.  Look at Stephenson’s hips and ball recognition.  I’d keep him at corner

Good problems to have.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

41 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

I’d like to think Campbell turns into the elite player he should as well, was just a true frosh last year 

Yeah it seems like a lot of UGA fans have lowered expectations on him.   Most corners don’t even start their Freshman years.

Yo_Lover and Wardog357 like this

40 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah it seems like a lot of UGA fans have lowered expectations on him.   Most corners don’t even start their Freshman years.

Almost all of us are guilty of a little instant gratification syndrome xD

I'm very thankful in any case that we have Stokes to lighten the expectations on Campbell. Hopefully they can grow into an elite corner tandem.

g-dawg, Bdawg58 and Turkeydawg like this

6 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He needs to be a safety. I personally told him that last year. But he wants to be a corner. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this