Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

June 2019 Recruiting Thread

675 posts in this topic

I'm greedy though. I still wish we could flip Jarrett, though I guess processing is still very possible at this stage for a LA kid

Wardog357 likes this

yep.. henning was not coming to UGA..  it was really 1a or 1b for the slot wr and wren is a perfect fit.. 

12 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I'm greedy though. I still wish we could flip Jarrett, though I guess processing is still very possible at this stage for a LA kid

Given that we probably won't need an immediate contributor at slot WR (either Kearis Jackson or Dom Blaylock likely own that spot in 2020), I almost prefer Wren I think... Take a high 4*/5* kid and ask them to sit for too long and they become transfer portal fodder. Wren on the other hand makes me think of an Eric Stokes on the opposite side of the field... redshirt year 1 unless he's just commanding a special teams slot, and then find a way to utilize him.

the goal for our staff has been the same from the very beginning.. two boundary guys and a slot wr.  we will be done with our wr recruiting tomorrow night.  so hankton can focus on 2021 and help in other areas. 

13 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

the goal for our staff has been the same from the very beginning.. two boundary guys and a slot wr.  we will be done with our wr recruiting tomorrow night.  so hankton can focus on 2021 and help in other areas

I've been impressed with Hank so far... Love to see him helping out at TE and QB recruiting for sure.

LawDawg and Wardog357 like this

21 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

I've been impressed with Hank so far... Love to see him helping out at TE and QB recruiting for sure.

yep.. hankton is a great recruiter and has been a big help in texas and louisiana. 

Posted this over on the rant, but felt it was worth sharing here as well:

In reading through a thread over at DN, I was prompted to take a look at Kendall Milton's footage again. I'm pretty sure I'd only ever watched his JR footage as I typically don't get started looking at recruits until they are in the current cycle unless they're either in GA or a neighboring state and getting some buzz. According to a poster there, they were told that the OL for his school REALLY struggled in 2018 compared to 2017 and that taking a look at his Soph footage was worthwhile... Given that I've been somewhat "down" on KM, I decided to go ahead and do so... 

They're not wrong. 

Here's JR footage: LINK 

Here's Soph footage: LINK 

I see a completely different back when given time and a push from his OL. In his JR year, it looks like his OL just gets almost zero push, often times ending up going backwards from the second the ball is snapped. They end up having to try and manufacture yardage by getting him the ball in space, but it seems clear that the D is keying on him as well. He still fights to get tough yardage, but the space just isn't there to do a lot of damage. 

Counter to that, in his Soph season, you can see the OL creating running lanes, much better blocking, and of course, he becomes much more of a homerun threat... 

I'm not sure that I'm ready to stack him up even with Evans, but I do think I may need to retract my previous statement of him not really standing out to me either. 

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I lol'd at this one...

How many more scholarships do Georgia, Clemson and Alabama have to offer? It’d be nice to know when they’ll be full so we can start working to sign the scraps they didn’t want.

4 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

I lol'd at this one...

Yeah there are some gems in there.

JeffSentell Posts: 3,404 admin

Was making a few calls. Part of the grind each and every day. Swapping messages.

The subject of George Pickens came up. With a coach at easily one of the top programs in the Southeast. They knew a little bit about GP and wanted to know how things were going with him.

They were hoping he made it in to UGA. Which he has. They also shared this unprompted evaluation.

CYJGZ11ZMRZ1.jpg

"He's the best I've ever seen."

Looks like that No. 1 jersey is still going to be making a lot of touchdowns in Athenstown.

Wardog357, 95Dawg, g-dawg and 6 others like this

Regarding the likely upcoming commitment of Wren: 

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
5:37PM edited 5:38PM
Good points made on both sides.  I know at end of the day we’ll all be cheering for him.  Staff shot their shots guys. We didn’t land who we wanted first on the list, but when the fallback guy runs a 4.3 40, 10.4 100, you’re recruiting at another level.

Staff hit a primary target 2x with WRs.  Robinson was #1.  Fleming/Rosemy we’re on same level and Rosemy “ didn’t really like our offense and we still pulled him”.  Missed on 5* speed WR, then lands a 4.3 40 guy.

Now questions are warranted but as you think on this further, here are a few names staff told no:  Jermaine Burton, Rico Powers, Leonard Manual.  Gotta be in a good place with the roster to pass on these guys. 
SoFL_Dawg Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
Whew...June has been good so far, but just heard it’s not over yet.

1 hour ago, LawDawg said:

We told Burton No?

Saw someone say on another board that we had attitude concerns with him; were worried he would end up transferring if we signed him

fibonaccisquared likes this

7 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Regarding the likely upcoming commitment of Wren: 

Who is the guy that runs a 4.3 he is talking about?

3 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Who is the guy that runs a 4.3 he is talking about?

Wren.  Said he ran a 4.31 at Mississippi State camp.

Wardog357 likes this

11 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

Saw someone say on another board that we had attitude concerns with him; were worried he would end up transferring if we signed him

yeah we passed on burton pretty early..  i was surprised, but it had to be something like that..