Unknøwn

Trade Rumors

1,341 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Not a long track record, but he's been really good for going on three years now. Something seemed to click for him at the tail end of 2016 and since then he's been one of the 25 best SPs in the majors. Would loved to have signed him to a 1-2 year deal this past offseason.

I'm surprised they didn't go after him in the offseason but guessing the age and short term success is what caused them to look elsewhere.

I felt like this staff needed a guy like him or Keuchel to help the youngsters.

Posted (edited)

Alex Wood's been very good for his career since leaving the Braves...

Just hasn't had the health. Only made 10 starts in 2016 and hasn't pitched yet this year. But his ERA from 2016 on might surprise...3.29 ERA. He's legitimately a #2 type (not a #1 type since he has had health issues, and yes you can be a #1 without being an ace, that's your Hudson types when Hudson has been at his best).

I suppose him being trade bait was correct, but him being trade bait for Olivera was not correct. That trade was astoundingly bad.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

43 minutes ago, Malachore said:

He's also like 36 years old.

I can't think of him being good except for this year and last.

He is older now but he would still help us tremendously right now.

I would rather not promote Duvall. He is super trade bait right now. Keep him as that. 

Posted (edited)

I wouldnt mind trading for Charlie Morton if possible. He may not have many years left, but he would definetly be a big help for the rest of this season and possibly next season.

Edited by LouDog

1 hour ago, LouDog said:

I wouldnt mind trading for Alex Wood if possible. He may not have many years left, but he would definetly be a big help for the rest of this season and possibly next season.

Alex Wood has not pitched this season. Hes on the IL with a bad back.

11 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Whats crazy to me is we could have legit had a pitching staff right now of  Mike Soroka, Mike Minor, Charlie Morton, Alex Wood, and Max Fried    That is a very good pitching group that would have been grown from the ground up in our system and probably one of the best in the league 1 to 5.  We churn out top tier quality pitchers like no ones business i just hope we can end up holding on to them more often than letting them go more often than not.

I don't think Charlie Morton would have turned into the great pitcher he is today had we kept him. The Pirates and Astros deserve so much credit for the pitcher he turned into. The Pirates completely reworked his delivery. They had him do what the Blue Jays did to Roy Halladay. It's why Morton's delivery looks so much like Halladay's. Then when he got to the Astros he figured out that whole pitch spin thing and well, here he is. All-Star pitcher Charlie Morton.

The Alex Wood one was the one that I'll never figure out!!

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

He's also like 36 years old.

I can't think of him being good except for this year and last.

3 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Not a long track record, but he's been really good for going on three years now. Something seemed to click for him at the tail end of 2016 and since then he's been one of the 25 best SPs in the majors. Would loved to have signed him to a 1-2 year deal this past offseason.

Actually, he's got a long track record of being good, it's just since he got to Houston he upped his game to a new level. But check out what he's done since the start of the 2011 season with the Pirates.

• 183 GS, 1055 1/3 IP, 982 H, 483 R, 427 ER, 79 HR, 378 BB, 945 SO, 3.64 ERA, 3.65 FIP, 1.289 WHIP
Malachore likes this

59 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Alex Wood has not pitched this season. Hes on the IL with a bad back.

Yeah i meant Charlie Morton but for some reason typed Alex Wood lol

Just now, LouDog said:

Yeah i meant Charlie Morton but for some reason typed Alex Wood lol

The Rays ain't trading Charlie Morton. Not when they're a playoff team.

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Rays ain't trading Charlie Morton. Not when they're a playoff team.

Yeah i know they wont. He is just one of the arms that use to be a brave that i wouldnt mind having back.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Actually, he's got a long track record of being good, it's just since he got to Houston he upped his game to a new level. But check out what he's done since the start of the 2011 season with the Pirates.

• 183 GS, 1055 1/3 IP, 982 H, 483 R, 427 ER, 79 HR, 378 BB, 945 SO, 3.64 ERA, 3.65 FIP, 1.289 WHIP

I knew he and Jeff Locke had an All Star season with Pittsburgh but that's some pretty surprising stats to be honest.

Good looks.

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't think Charlie Morton would have turned into the great pitcher he is today had we kept him. The Pirates and Astros deserve so much credit for the pitcher he turned into. The Pirates completely reworked his delivery. They had him do what the Blue Jays did to Roy Halladay. It's why Morton's delivery looks so much like Halladay's. Then when he got to the Astros he figured out that whole pitch spin thing and well, here he is. All-Star pitcher Charlie Morton.

The Alex Wood one was the one that I'll never figure out!!

Thats fair reasoning and one i i can't deny or complain about on Morton.    We also agree on the Wood one because he was already looking really good for us and was a #1 or 2 for us at the time throwing a 3.13 and 2.78 ERA  what more did they want from him he was killing it and shouldn't have been a throw in piece for fricken Hector Olivera who hadn't shown or proven anything at the major league level yet.   A #1 or #2 proven pitcher to me is worth more than some random prospect with upside that hasn't show anything much at all yet.

18 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Those numbers are heavily buoyed by his last three seasons. Guy was a run-of-the-mill 4/5th starter during his tenure in Pittsburgh. 

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to NY media the Braves are one of the teams interested in Zack Wheeler.

I can only imagine how much they would make us give up for him

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I can only imagine how much they would make us give up for him

It would be interesting. We have an experienced GM that's pulled off a ton of deals. The Mets have an agent that's only been in the role for a few months. I'd like to see if Anthopolous could pull a fast one.

youngbloodz likes this

22 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

It would be interesting. We have an experienced GM that's pulled off a ton of deals. The Mets have an agent that's only been in the role for a few months. I'd like to see if Anthopolous could pull a fast one.

That would be awesome if he could 

52 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I feel like it would be the opposite.

The guy would be so afraid that AA was doing just that and basically make it un-negotiable.

Passprotection likes this

7 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I feel like it would be the opposite.

The guy would be so afraid that AA was doing just that and basically make it un-negotiable.

Could happen that way too. Hes obviously afraid to fire Mickey Callaway despite everyone knowing hes a lame duck and the dumpster fire that is their clubhouse.

Would Wheeler be that much of an upgrade? His numbers dont look that great but i honestly havent watched him this season. How has he looked?

57 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Would Wheeler be that much of an upgrade? His numbers dont look that great but i honestly havent watched him this season. How has he looked?

Hes not an ace by any means but hes a good fit to slide behind Soroka, Fried, Keuchel and Julio. Wheeler throws upper 90s, racks up a lot of K's and his groundball rate is nearly 50%. Hes on pace for over 200 innings as well. With the Braves defense he would benefit from all those grounders. He is a rental and would cost less because of it. Hes also a Georgia native so if he performs well here you could probably get a discount for him to stay. He has been pitching pretty well of late too.

oztin and Falconsfan567 like this

6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Hes not an ace by any means but hes a good fit to slide behind Soroka, Fried, Keuchel and Julio. Wheeler throws upper 90s, racks up a lot of K's and his groundball rate is nearly 50%. Hes on pace for over 200 innings as well. With the Braves defense he would benefit from all those grounders. He is a rental and would cost less because of it. Hes also a Georgia native so if he performs well here you could probably get a discount for him to stay. He has been pitching pretty well of late too.

Good info. And maybe having BMac catching for him could help a little more with his pitching. A good catcher can make an average pitcher look good and a good pitcher look great.

19 minutes ago, jidady said:

Wheeler is their Folty. We want no part of him.

Ehhh, I don’t know. His advanced numbers tell a much different story than what’s on the surface. Even despite the uptick in HR/9 and HR/FB from last year, he’s still showing up strong in FIP and xFIP. That and he’s posting a career high in both BB/9 and SO/9.