Unknøwn

Trade Rumors

1,341 posts in this topic

If I go down with the ship, so be it, but there’s no way the Giants don’t sell off their top guys. That team is old (and not good) and the MIL rosters are barren. Beating up on the dregs of the National League does not change that. I’d have to question Farhan Zaidi’s ability as a ML GM if he tries to go for “one last run”. 

Malachore and tl;dr like this

50 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

If I go down with the ship, so be it, but there’s no way the Giants don’t sell off their top guys. That team is old (and not good) and the MIL rosters are barren. Beating up on the dregs of the National League does not change that. I’d have to question Farhan Zaidi’s ability as a ML GM if he tries to go for “one last run”. 

This is exactly how I feel too, I can see them keeping Bumgarner but those other arms got to go.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

This is exactly how I feel too, I can see them keeping Bumgarner but those other arms got to go.

Will Smith please... 

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

They definitely aren't winning with the way their roster is currently built. But I wouldn't be shocked to see them try to keep the gang together this year because it's the end of Bochy's tenure there. Go for the wild card spot and have him go out in that spot I guess.

Don't like it, but that wouldn't shock me

Falconsfan567 likes this

Here's my current list of teams that will be sellers

1 Blue Jays
2 Orioles
3 White Sox
4 Royals
5 Tigers
6 Rangers
7 Mariners
8 Mets
9 Marlins
10 Pirates
11 Reds
12 Rockies
13 Padres

These teams are clearly out to pasture, or at least they should be. All these teams are currently at least 5 games out of a playoff spot. The only team that was at least 5 games out of a playoff spot that I didn't include in this list is the Angels and the only reason I didn't list them was because they are 7-3 in their last 10 games. The Angels, Diamondbacks, and Giants should all be sellers but I don't think they will be. But if you were to add those 3 teams to the list that brings you to 16 teams, over half the league, and that should make trade deadline day entertaining.

Mark Bowman said he gets the feel the Braves are undecided about whether an impact SP or RP is their bigger need. Bowman also says the feeling around the league is the Giants have made Bumgarner unavailable. He mentioned the Archer type package the Jays want for Stroman. To give you an example Bowman said the Rays wanted Riley and Wright or Anderson for Archer last July. So if that's the guide the Jays could ask for Pache and Anderson in return for Stroman.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mark Bowman said he gets the feel the Braves are undecided about whether an impact SP or RP is their bigger need. Bowman also says the feeling around the league is the Giants have made Bumgarner unavailable. He mentioned the Archer type package the Jays want for Stroman. To give you an example Bowman said the Rays wanted Riley and Wright or Anderson for Archer last July. So if that's the guide the Jays could ask for Pache and Anderson in return for Stroman.

Yeaaaa..

NO!

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Easy. 

It's both.

29 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Easy. 

It's both.

But the nature of this market will make it impossible to acquire both without trading your entire system. You'll have to get a big arm in one spot and a dependable arm in the other.  So it's up to Anthopolous whether to spend big on a closer or starter.

Mets have decided to sell but wont do a total breakdown. They'll listen on Syndergaard but deal is said be highly unlikely. They're biggest chip will be Wheeler. His next start will be his showcase. They've also made Vargas available. 

42 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

But the nature of this market will make it impossible to acquire both without trading your entire system. You'll have to get a big arm in one spot and a dependable arm in the other.  So it's up to Anthopolous whether to spend big on a closer or starter.

I don't think you'd have to empty your entire system to get Greinke and Giles/Smith.

Or even Minor and a combo of the other 2 RPs.

Then again I'm more willing to give than most here. 

30 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I don't think you'd have to empty your entire system to get Greinke and Giles/Smith.

Or even Minor and a combo of the other 2 RPs.

Then again I'm more willing to give than most here. 

It's not about emptying the entire farm. It's about giving up your absolute best prospects, the ones that you expect to be your core stars moving forward. That's the issue here. I'm sure AA would gladly trade the B prospects in a heartbeat in the right deal, but the other team has to be willing to accept the B prospects.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mets have decided to sell but wont do a total breakdown. They'll listen on Syndergaard but deal is said be highly unlikely. They're biggest chip will be Wheeler. His next start will be his showcase. They've also made Vargas available. 

Oh gee golly... Jason Vargas... Hope he gets traded to the Gnats :P

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's not about emptying the entire farm. It's about giving up your absolute best prospects, the ones that you expect to be your core stars moving forward. That's the issue here. I'm sure AA would gladly trade the B prospects in a heartbeat in the right deal, but the other team has to be willing to accept the B prospects.

I still don't think it costs as much as some think to get Greinke if we are willing to eat most of the contract.

If we got someone like Greinke and Smith or Giles and Wilson/Wright are our biggest loses then  it's a no brainer to me.

maorifalcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I still don't think it costs as much as some think to get Greinke if we are willing to eat most of the contract.

If we got someone like Greinke and Smith or Giles and Wilson/Wright are our biggest loses then  it's a no brainer to me.

You're right about Greinke but the Braves aren't going to eat most of his contract. That's just not smart on their part.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You're right about Greinke but the Braves aren't going to eat most of his contract. That's just not smart on their part.

You don't think giving them either Wright or Wilson and maybe a B level prospect would be enough to get AZ to eat enough to make it worthwhile for the Braves?

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

You don't think giving them either Wright or Wilson and maybe a B level prospect would be enough to get AZ to eat enough to make it worthwhile for the Braves?

I honestly don't know. I would do that deal though.

19 minutes ago, Malachore said:

The problem is theres so much salary to eat. The reports yesterday were they'd knock it down to 2 years $50M for the right return. Anymore than that would require substantial prospects. Report indicated teams are unlikely to meet demands.

If you can sort out Greinke’s contract to where it’s like 2/60 for the Braves without deferrals (as that’s fair money given what Verlander is getting) and give up one of Wright/Wilson and a B level prospect, I’d do it but I’m not sure that Arizona will play our games. Apparently based off what I’ve read, we were in on him in the offseason but couldn’t settle on money and it’s being explored again.

Otherwise, outside of perhaps Giles plus a buy low like Givens, I’d get mentally prepared for the bullpen acquisitions to be more along Givens/Watson then like Smith/Giles. Maybe one, but not both.

17 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

They're 16-3 over the last 19 games and two games out of the Wild Card. Their fans would riot if they sold right now...and rightly so.

Falconsfan567 likes this

27 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The problem is theres so much salary to eat. The reports yesterday were they'd knock it down to 2 years $50M for the right return. Anymore than that would require substantial prospects. Report indicated teams are unlikely to meet demands.

Paying 50 mil for 2 season with Greinke is worth it IMO.

You are not going to find better but it might stop us from resigning DK. You think?

8 minutes ago, jidady said:

They're 16-3 over the last 19 games and two games out of the Wild Card. Their fans would riot if they sold right now...and rightly so.

Like I said, I don't care how well they've played over the last 19 games. A 19 game stretch should not cloud the focus of what is very much a long-term rebuild. Their most valuable assets are soon-to-be 30-year old SP an a handful of (mostly) cost-effective relievers that are either FA's at the end of this season or in 2020. In a market this scarce, they could set themselves up nicely for the future. Not to mention that, but if they wanted to buy, they'd have to essentially give up ML assets because the farm system is so barren (unless they are giving up Bart, which makes no sense whatsoever). They're essentially at a cross-roads here, with the opportunity to become the Braves or the 2012-2017 Phillies.

sdogg likes this

10 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Like I said, I don't care how well they've played over the last 19 games. A 19 game stretch should not cloud the focus of what is very much a long-term rebuild.

I think this is that philosophical issue from the Braves' tank job coming into play again. I just don't believe in throwing in the towel when nobody knows the future. SF could very well be in the midst of one of those "They've played .750 since July 1st" stories that we've seen carry teams into the playoffs. If they sold now, they'd be quitting with a potential winning hand. If they lose six games between now and the 31st, I may feel differently. Right now, they're playing better than anybody else in baseball. I could never sell in that situation.