I need my Atlanta friends help

Tandy

33 minutes ago, Tandy said:

You know we love you too!   Avocado is always a staple for him!

UPDATE:   So, a lot has happened in the past day.   First they weren't going to put the peg tube in because his white counts were still at 14k although trending down.   Then later, they came and said that Dr Pickens was going to attempt to do it in the evening since his oounts were down so much and trending down.    

However, we found out he is continually aspirating - and that's a risk with this surgery - and since he was down to 88 pounds - they couldn't put him to sleep because they might not be able to bring him out of it.

They did twilight him and the surgery was a success - and he now has a peg tube and can have nothing by mouth because of the aspiration.    He's on his first meal right now.

Now, he's still way to weak to have the lung surgery to release the trapped lung - and that's still very dangerous - but we have a way to get him strong enough to have the surgery needed and then get him back on the road to recovery.

We are on the right track.   It will still be a tough road - and we have to go home with a chest tube as well as  the peg tube, so I am getting lessons on how to care for him.    They wanted me to put him in a long term rehabilitation place until he is strong enough for the surgery - but I said no - he's coming home with me.    They will be sending in a medical person to our home and PT, ST and OT people.

So it's not missed here - the best part of this is that we found out what was happening.    Because of the weak muscles in his throat caused from the weight loss during and after his chemo, he's been aspirating for a while - and all the hospital stays for pneumonia over the past months - can now be stopped.

Not saying it's an easy road - but we can do it.    ****, I've been a Falcons fan for 50+ years - I can handle it!

You and your husband are powerful Tandy. I asked around, add raw beats and olive oil to his diet to strengthen his blood. Also honey on pumpernickel with organic peanut butter. This will increase his strength. 

I’m praying for you and will ask for more help in this. Just please stay as positive as I know you will. I’m sending good vibes your way. 

I love you and you know how to find me.

Clarence

57 minutes ago, Tandy said:

You know we love you too!   Avocado is always a staple for him!

UPDATE:   So, a lot has happened in the past day.   First they weren't going to put the peg tube in because his white counts were still at 14k although trending down.   Then later, they came and said that Dr Pickens was going to attempt to do it in the evening since his oounts were down so much and trending down.    

However, we found out he is continually aspirating - and that's a risk with this surgery - and since he was down to 88 pounds - they couldn't put him to sleep because they might not be able to bring him out of it.

They did twilight him and the surgery was a success - and he now has a peg tube and can have nothing by mouth because of the aspiration.    He's on his first meal right now.

Now, he's still way to weak to have the lung surgery to release the trapped lung - and that's still very dangerous - but we have a way to get him strong enough to have the surgery needed and then get him back on the road to recovery.

We are on the right track.   It will still be a tough road - and we have to go home with a chest tube as well as  the peg tube, so I am getting lessons on how to care for him.    They wanted me to put him in a long term rehabilitation place until he is strong enough for the surgery - but I said no - he's coming home with me.    They will be sending in a medical person to our home and PT, ST and OT people.

So it's not missed here - the best part of this is that we found out what was happening.    Because of the weak muscles in his throat caused from the weight loss during and after his chemo, he's been aspirating for a while - and all the hospital stays for pneumonia over the past months - can now be stopped.

Not saying it's an easy road - but we can do it.    ****, I've been a Falcons fan for 50+ years - I can handle it!

Tandy,

I am thrilled the peg was successfully placed.  Not sure if it was placed directly into the stomach through the abdomen  or just through the nasal passage...but in either situation,  this is great news for you both.  This should put him on the road to lung decortication.

So happy to hear this for you both.  Sending love and positive thought to the Tandy’s

21 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Tandy,

I am thrilled the peg was successfully placed.  Not sure if it was placed directly into the stomach through the abdomen  or just through the nasal passage...but in either situation,  this is great news for you both.  This should put him on the road to lung decortication.

So happy to hear this for you both.  Sending love and positive thought to the Tandy’s

When they weren't going to do it yesterday because of his white counts, they put one down his nose but it was never used because they decided to do the peg tube surgery anyway.    The new one comes right out of his belly - and they took the other one out.

The one in the nose can only stay in up to 18 days.  This one is permanent until it's removed.

I was so excited - I did a happy dance.

3 minutes ago, Tandy said:

When they weren't going to do it yesterday because of his white counts, they put one down his nose but it was never used because they decided to do the peg tube surgery anyway.    The new one comes right out of his belly - and they took the other one out.

The one in the nose can only stay in up to 18 days.  This one is permanent until it's removed.

Going through the abdomen is better for you guys.  It’s meant for long term but hopefully that won’t apply once the surgery is a go

9 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Did you do the Dirty Bird? I sure did when I heard he got the tube!  I was really worried after I left you and Nito Wednesday, it wasn’t looking real good, sounds like much good news since!

1 hour ago, marvinthemartian said:

Outstanding news Tandy!!!  What’s your schedule look like over the next weeks?  How much longer before they let you and Nito move back closer to home?

I am not sure about when but it is getting closer.   I just finished cleaning his chest tube and recording the amount by myself for the first time.  Hurray!   No muss, no fuss.   Even checked for air in the lungs.   

They haven’t begun the training for his feeding but explain everything they are doing.   They haven’t reached the goal rate for his food flow yet, will probably get there later today.   Then there is training for issuing  his medications through the peg since he is going home NPO.   

There is still a lot to set up at home before he can go there, like the medical staff visits.   

Doesn’t matter though because we are getting closer and he is getting nutrition and we have been given new Hope!

Tell your wife hello for us!

13 hours ago, papachaz said:

my problem, which is apparent here most of the times, 140 characters or less? are you kidding me???? I asked my pastor one sunday night if I could say a few words at the start of service, he said 'probably not, but try to keep it brief anyway' LOL

anyway, not trying to derail this one. Saying it again, much prayers Ms Tandy, and thanks for the update!

If you did take this thread off the rails, we would have to pull you to the side. ^_^

Things are going extremely well.   I am administering his message, flushing, monitoring, recording the progress  and caring for his chest tube and his peg tube now here in the hospital.   So far so good.   He's feeling a lot better, you can tell - he keeps asking for coffee.  While he can't have it - that's a good sign.   He can't have anything by mouth until we get him stronger and he goes through therapy to stop the aspiration.   

However, I asked the doctor if I could get him some hard candies that taste like coffee and he said yes as long as it's on a stick that I can control.    

Odd the things you don't think about.   Since he can have nothing by mouth, he's stopped salivating - and his mouth is extremely dry.    So I have to take a moistened sponge and work it around in his mouth often.

I'm thinking the hard candies will help with that too.    I'm looking them up online and there are some hard candies which are a replacement for coffee - just have to find some with a stick.

23 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Odd the things you don't think about.   Since he can have nothing by mouth, he's stopped salivating - and his mouth is extremely dry.    So I have to take a moistened sponge and work it around in his mouth often

Tandy, has the doctor offered to prescribe saliva spray?  It mimics natural saliva which will help with some of his dry mouth.

Well, we are home tonight!    They brought him in an ambulance - and there was a nurse waiting to help me set him up here.   I'm tired so I won't go into much more, but it's a huge victory.   He has a long way to go, but we are on the road to getting there.

Thank you to everyone who has been so amazing.    I'm about to drop so I'm going to bed - but I couldn't do so without sharing our wonderful news and thanking you guys for so much support and love!

These falcon fans really RISE UP!

23 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Well, we are home tonight!    They brought him in an ambulance - and there was a nurse waiting to help me set him up here.   I'm tired so I won't go into much more, but it's a huge victory.   He has a long way to go, but we are on the road to getting there.

Thank you to everyone who has been so amazing.    I'm about to drop so I'm going to bed - but I couldn't do so without sharing our wonderful news and thanking you guys for so much support and love!

Outstanding!  Falcons fans did Rise Up!  God is soooooo good!

10 hours ago, Tandy said:

This is really good to hear Tandy! I am sure you are exhausted and enjoying a good nights sleep in your own bed for first time in several weeks. That’s got to be a tremendous relief getting to go home with Nito!

• 2 weeks later...

Nito was doing better but suddenly got worse and is in the ICU at Tift Regional

We have called in all the family and I am taking him home with hospice care this morning

Thank you to everyone for your generosity, good thoughts and prayers.  They have meant so much to both of us

Please keep him in your prayers!