I need my Atlanta friends help

Tandy

11 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Tandy,

i don’t know you personally but I feel your concern and I admire your dedication to your husband. My wife was in Emory for over a month with cancer stem cell replacement treatment. Emory is top notch. They are really good. May I give you a few suggestions that helped us?

Tell everyone you know about your husband’s health situation. Ask for prayers and to be put on prayer lists at churches or within individual prayer groups. The more the better  

Get some rest and take care of yourself. You have to be at your best to help him. 

Stay positive and focus on positive things. Surround yourself with positive people. 

I don’t know of any places to get food for him but I live fairly close to Emory and I have some time available...could I bring you some of my wife’s chicken pot pie and some banana pudding?  I am totally serious. I could get it there Monday and would be happy to do it. Also, what’s your husband’s name so I can get him in our prayer list tomorrow?

First, thank you so much for making me cry!   It would be amazing  if you brought him either.   He loves both!

His name is Mariano Garay, but he goes by Nito

He is at Emory University Midtown at Peachtree St NE and Linden Ave NE.  If you park on the Linden St side and go in the main doors there he is on the 1st floor in Room 1107

I really appreciate this more yhan uou could know

As for me, I’m hanging in there.   We’ve been battling this for over a year.  I am his primary caregiver, work a full tome job, stay with him the entire time he is in any hospital, have been to every doctor appointment and procedure and treatments and am taking care of our home, bills, appointments and everything else.   The ironic part is that I’ve put on 50 pounds from the stress while he’s lost over 50 pounds from the chemo and surgeries.  This is his 4th time in this hospital including 2 surgeries to remove parts of his lung and the cancer, plus he was transferred here this time from Tift Regional in Tifton where we spent a week after 2 days out of a week stay at Shand’s

Despite this, I’ve never once even thought of giving up and will help him fight this thing until we win.  We appreciate and definitely welcome all of the positive thoughts and prayers.  

I hope your wife is doing well.  i will keep her in my thoughts and prayers!   Bless you both so much!

As for us, we won’t quit and we will beat this thing!

22 hours ago, Tandy said:

This is not about the Falcons so if it has to be moved, I understand, but I am in need if some food advice for my husband who is back at Emory and very ill

He has been in the hospital for thr past month with respiratory failure, septic pneumonia and trapped lung syndrome, and needs a procedure to free the lung

However he is down to 99 pounds and very weak.   We are trying to strengthen him up.  He’s too weak to have a peg tube placed to help with the weight either

We are trying to find good places to get some softer foods to fatten him up.   I know Mary Mac’s but I am looking for some other places like good Mexican food, soul food with good southern cooking or great stews

Hospital foods suck and he’s stuck here so I want to help by feeding him great food that will put some meat on his bones

Thanks for any help you can offer

Couple things to keep in mind:  massive weight loss means the body is losing muscle volume, so you want to make sure your husband is getting protein and iron.   Multivitamins helps, someone mentioned protein shakes which is good.

21 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Couple things to keep in mind:  massive weight loss means the body is losing muscle volume, so you want to make sure your husband is getting protein and iron.   Multivitamins helps, someone mentioned protein shakes which is good.

Yep, I give him multi-vitamins plus extra potassium and magnesium, which are usually low in his bloodwork.  

I try to give him 4 Ensure Enlives a day when I can get him to drink them and I make him smoothies with those shakes plus some protein powder and fruit and kale.    I sprinkle protein powder on his food and mix it in his soups too

He just wont take enough down to count all the time.    They have him on a calorie count here now to see if a tube down the nose will be needed

13 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Couple things to keep in mind:  massive weight loss means the body is losing muscle volume,

Oh yeah and on this - they just did a swallow study and his muscles are so weak in his esophagus and vocal chords that the food is not getting pushed down all the way and his voice has become low and raspy and hard to understand sometimes, especially when he’s tired, so now he has to sit at a full 90 degree angle and sip behind each bite of food and can only eat softer foods that are easier to get down giving us new challenges with feeding him

Talk about the body being your own worst enemy sometimes!

On a brighter note, they put him on Remeron which is making him hungry again.  

48 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Going to try this today if I can find one I can get delivered!.  He loves banana!

if you need it I can swing by and bring you a Smoothie King Banana Boat when I leave my meeting today. I'm gonna inbox you my number and just let me know if you still want it, I'll be there. we get out around 3 so it would be sometime after that

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

Oh yeah and on this - they just did a swallow study and his muscles are so weak in his esophagus and vocal chords that the food is not getting pushed down all the way and his voice has become low and raspy and hard to understand sometimes, especially when he’s tired, so now he has to sit at a full 90 degree angle and sip behind each bite of food and can only eat softer foods that are easier to get down giving us new challenges with feeding him

Are they not considering a feeding tube to ensure his weight and nutrition remain properly maintained?

And Stormy & I would love to follow up on the generosity of Marvin and his wife.  We live in Florida so can’t prepare meals, but if you tell us the restaurant & orders, we’d cover the costs for you.

On 01/06/2019 at 8:27 AM, Tandy said:

This is not about the Falcons so if it has to be moved, I understand, but I am in need if some food advice for my husband who is back at Emory and very ill

He has been in the hospital for thr past month with respiratory failure, septic pneumonia and trapped lung syndrome, and needs a procedure to free the lung

However he is down to 99 pounds and very weak.   We are trying to strengthen him up.  He’s too weak to have a peg tube placed to help with the weight either

We are trying to find good places to get some softer foods to fatten him up.   I know Mary Mac’s but I am looking for some other places like good Mexican food, soul food with good southern cooking or great stews

Hospital foods suck and he’s stuck here so I want to help by feeding him great food that will put some meat on his bones

Thanks for any help you can offer

I workout daily and use gainers when it is tine to bulk . Make him a shake with clean gainer . 500+ calories and easy to get in you as it's a drink . And has a lot of nutrition..

Edit:

The product I use is Rivalus Clean Gainer.

Has quinoa oats blueberries with a lot more stuff in it + 30 grams of protein . Don't reccomend  drinking it 3 meals a day but if hes having trouble eating . It would be a good supplement  . 

38 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Are they not considering a feeding tube to ensure his weight and nutrition remain properly maintained?

And Stormy & I would love to follow up on the generosity of Marvin and his wife.  We live in Florida so can’t prepare meals, but if you tell us the restaurant & orders, we’d cover the costs for you.

You are so sweet!   They have him on a calorie count now to determine if he needs a feeding tube down the nose but he’s not strong enough for a peg feeding tube because it requires surgery.   

2 hours ago, Tandy said:

Yeah, when your body isn't getting enough protein the body starts to 'cannibalize' the muscles, which is one huge reason for the weight loss. 

One good thing is to make a spaghetti heavy with ground beef in the sauce, with the meat sauce being thick with just some noodles in it.   Hospital spaghetti is just....ick.

Good luck to you folks, ok.

Tandy,

So sorry to hear this. Nito is such a cool guy and wow, he really has lost a ton of weight.

How much longer wi he be at Emory Hospital? Do you have a mini fridge? Maybe I’ll make him some good organic non inflammatory soup. I could make him some homemade bone broth which is rich in vital nutrients and bring it by this week. Let me know

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Tandy,

So sorry to hear this. Nito is such a cool guy and wow, he really has lost a ton of weight.

How much longer wi he be at Emory Hospital? Do you have a mini fridge? Maybe I’ll make him some good organic non inflammatory soup. I could make him some homemade bone broth which is rich in vital nutrients and bring it by this week. Let me know

Dont hAve a mini fridge but there is a small fridge at the nurses station where they keep his shakes.   

I am not sure how much longer he will be here, you know they dont tell you that but pretty sure at least another week.   A lot depends on getting the pressure relieved from his lungs and his getting his infections gone and how they can further relieve the lungs

Either way, he’d enjoy a visit!