caponine

Shooting In Virginia Beach

268 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

So, the police officer is a good guy with a gun and a law abiding ccw citizen is a good guy with a gun.  Whenever they confront the shooter, it ends the shooting.  We just need to cultivate more good guys with guns.

[Steps over the bodies of massacre victims]

The lesson here is that we need even more guns.

Ofelia likes this

5 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Clearly, the United States does not have enough armed police officers.

3 hours ago, Flip Flop said:

So, the police officer is a good guy with a gun and a law abiding ccw citizen is a good guy with a gun.  Whenever they confront the shooter, it ends the shooting.  We just need to cultivate more good guys with guns.

You're missing the point of the 'good guy with a gun' theory.  The NRA promotes propaganda like this to get people scared and to promote gun sells.  Police officers already have guns, so the message is not aimed at them.  The messaging is for non-law enforcement officials, people who don't necessarily have guns because of their job.  It is to get those 'good guys' out and into the gun stores to buy firearms.  The meaning of this statement isn't a real philosophy, rather a marketing ploy that the NRA promotes to sell more guns.

I've been saving up my free government money to have surgery to remove my lower left arm and have a shotgun installed.  I would have done it earlier but I can't decide if I want it to start above or below my elbow.  Also, they said I have to figure out some stuff when it comes to reloading, since I will only have my right hand.  I am leaning towards a design I made that will allow me to use my mouth and feet to reload.  It's pretty awesome.

Carter likes this

8 hours ago, Jpowers said:

Seriously imagine saying "I spared their lives but they were incapacitated" out loud. :lol:

What actually happened is that he pulled out a gun, shot himself in the foot, and the perps couldn’t get away before the cops came because they were laughing too hard.

He just remembers it a little differently.

20 hours ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

We have plenty of guns.  We need more good men.

JDaveG likes this

43 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

We have plenty of guns.  We need more good men.

The solution here is more good people.

The simple fact is in many cases the police officers are the after the fact guys and that can be for various reasons

you very well could be dead when the cops show up because of this fact.

Edited by Brehus
JDaveG and Gritzblitz 2.0 like this

I wrote a long thing on FB right after the Parkland shooting suggesting while I too was infuriated by the BSO's handling of the event, we ought not be too harsh on Deputy Peterson.  I made a lot of assumptions in that post, but I think they were warranted.

1) We don't know what level of training he had.

2) We don't know if he had ever been "pressure tested" with live fire training (simunitions).

3) It's easy to second-guess when you aren't there.

Having said all that, someone is criminally responsible for what happened there.  When another department has to show up and do your job for you while you and yours are hiding behind police cruisers, a ball was dropped that can never be picked up again.  I hate to see this happen to him, and he is in my prayers.  But I am glad to see some responsibility doled out, and the part about him directing other officers not to respond, really, undoes a lot of my assumptions.

mdrake34 and WhenFalconsWin like this

18 hours ago, Brehus said:

The simple fact is in many cases the police officers are the after the fact guys and that can be for various reasons

you very well could be dead when the cops show up because of this fact.

The police are under no legal obligation to protect your life. A great number of them are poorly trained physically, emotionally, and tactically. 

It's foolish to put your hopes in a cop saving you. 

JDaveG, Googlywoogly and Flip Flop like this

14 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

The police are under no legal obligation to protect your life. A great number of them are poorly trained physically, emotionally, and tactically. 

It's foolish to put your hopes in a cop saving you. 

Tiger claws, pack some heat, pepper spray, trust your own skills. One of my houses is 2o minutes at best from the police, you better know how to save yourself because the perps don't"t have to worry about politics arriving on time and they know it.

usatoday.com
No gun law would have prevented Virginia Beach tragedy
Alan Gottlieb

American gun control movement has become a gun prohibition crusade:

Once again, after a senseless act of violence, gun ownership opponents — including those in the news media — rush to penalize millions of lawful firearms owners for something they didn’t do.

The mayhem in Virginia Beach was the act of a man who legally purchased the two pistols recovered by authorities at the scene. He was an employee of the Public Utilities Department, and reportedly had a good work record.

Since this tragedy unfolded, anti-gun rights advocates have wondered why our nation can’t simply copy what the New Zealand government did following the tragedy at Christchurch. Our Constitution protects the individual right to keep and bear arms, while New Zealand arbitrarily banned a whole class of firearms without a public vote, much less public debate.

Raising this question, however, reveals what the firearms civil rights community has known for many years. The American gun control movement has become a gun prohibition crusade, and proponents are finally admitting it. They would delight in a government effort to confiscate lawfully owned firearms from U.S. citizens while trying to convince the public that this will provide a panacea to violent crime.

OUR VIEW: Virginia Beach hero yet another sacrificial American

No law on the books now, or that has been proposed, would have prevented the Virginia Beach tragedy. Reports say the killer had no criminal record other than traffic violations. He had a college degree and was a veteran of the Virginia National Guard. He passed multiple background checks.

But the predictable knee-jerk reflex of the gun prohibition crowd is to seek tighter restrictions on millions of people who harmed nobody, just to advance their agenda of public disarmament. That’s not justice, it’s social bigotry by people who would never tolerate a similar broad brush policy were it aimed at the rights of any other group.

What a pity the news media rarely cover incidents in which legally armed Americans save countless innocent lives rather than take lives.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/06/04/no-law-prevents-virginia-beach-tragedy-second-amendment-editorials-debates/1346757001/

JDaveG likes this

6 minutes ago, Brehus said:

usatoday.com
No gun law would have prevented Virginia Beach tragedy
Alan Gottlieb

American gun control movement has become a gun prohibition crusade:

Once again, after a senseless act of violence, gun ownership opponents — including those in the news media — rush to penalize millions of lawful firearms owners for something they didn’t do.

The mayhem in Virginia Beach was the act of a man who legally purchased the two pistols recovered by authorities at the scene. He was an employee of the Public Utilities Department, and reportedly had a good work record.

Since this tragedy unfolded, anti-gun rights advocates have wondered why our nation can’t simply copy what the New Zealand government did following the tragedy at Christchurch. Our Constitution protects the individual right to keep and bear arms, while New Zealand arbitrarily banned a whole class of firearms without a public vote, much less public debate.

Raising this question, however, reveals what the firearms civil rights community has known for many years. The American gun control movement has become a gun prohibition crusade, and proponents are finally admitting it. They would delight in a government effort to confiscate lawfully owned firearms from U.S. citizens while trying to convince the public that this will provide a panacea to violent crime.

OUR VIEW: Virginia Beach hero yet another sacrificial American

No law on the books now, or that has been proposed, would have prevented the Virginia Beach tragedy. Reports say the killer had no criminal record other than traffic violations. He had a college degree and was a veteran of the Virginia National Guard. He passed multiple background checks.

But the predictable knee-jerk reflex of the gun prohibition crowd is to seek tighter restrictions on millions of people who harmed nobody, just to advance their agenda of public disarmament. That’s not justice, it’s social bigotry by people who would never tolerate a similar broad brush policy were it aimed at the rights of any other group.

What a pity the news media rarely cover incidents in which legally armed Americans save countless innocent lives rather than take lives.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/06/04/no-law-prevents-virginia-beach-tragedy-second-amendment-editorials-debates/1346757001/

lol

Gottlieb