Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Champford

Hawks could be moving up to #3

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Travis' thoughts.....

For us, it’s cumulative, everything we’ve got going positive right now,” Schlenk said of his pitch to free agents. “I think in the city there is a buzz about the Hawks right now just by the way we ended (the season). Obviously, we have the beautiful new arena, beautiful new practice facility, obviously we know the G League team is coming to College Park. There is a buzz around the league about our young core. Once we show we are in contention, playoff contending, that’s when free agents are going to look at this group and say ‘I want to go there because we can take it to the next level.’”

Schlenk believes he can currently get a meeting with top-tier free agents for one important reason even with the Hawks coming off a 29-win season. Money.

“We are in position to have those meetings because we have the (salary) cap space,” Schlenk said. “We are one of the few teams who can walk into a room and say here is $40 million. That gets you in the door. Then you have to show them you have the future flexibility to go out there and get another player with them. You have the young players currently on your roster who project to be superstar players. We feel like we are in a good spot and the future lined up to stay in that spot.”

Schlenk said he will know more about the team’s direction in free agency after the NBA draft on June 20.

Hawks aren't even in playoff contention as yet, that's why top level FAs won't come, yet. 

The idea of tanking was so you csn rebuild thru the draft, remain financially flexible while doing so, so that when the draftees show they have something you attract FAs. Nothing worse than rushing a rebuild by overpaying mid level FAs too much money.

That sounds good,  the Braves general manager said basically the SAME thing about " shopping on any isle " only to shop in the  bargain bin.   I will not believe it unless it happens as far as the Hawks signing a big time free agent and thats even after they become a good team.   My thinking is its gonna be strictly thru the draft and maybe add a mid tier guy or two to that mix...

Edited by slickgadawg

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

The Hawks are not gonna pay a max deal to ANYONE.  It goes against why they tore the roster down in the first place...

They tore down the roster because they 2nd round peaked with older players.

g-dawg and No.11 like this

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

They tore down the roster because they 2nd round peaked with older players.

Travis wanted and now has payroll flexibility by getting rid of bad contracts.  Its true that the older players peaked AND had bad contracts, no issue there.  Where I disagree is the thinking that the Hawks will sign a max contract.  I will not believe that unless it happens...

Edited by slickgadawg

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Travis wanted and now has payroll flexibility by getting rid of bad contracts.  Its true that the older players peaked AND had bad contracts, no issue there.  Where I disagree is the thinking that the Hawks will sign a max contract.  I will not believe that unless it happens...

There is no guarantee that they will sign a FA max.

There are few players worthy of a max contract. If one of KD, Klay or Kawhi wanted/showed interest in the Hawks - I have no doubt that TS would sign them to a max deal.

As I've noted, guys like Khris Middleton, Tobias Harris , Vucevic etc., I wouldn't offer them the max.

If Collins and Trae continue their trajectory, they will be the ones signing max deals when they are eligible.

g-dawg likes this

50 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

There is no guarantee that they will sign a FA max.

There are few players worthy of a max contract. If one of KD, Klay or Kawhi wanted/showed interest in the Hawks - I have no doubt that TS would sign them to a max deal.

As I've noted, guys like Khris Middleton, Tobias Harris , Vucevic etc., I wouldn't offer them the max.

If Collins and Trae continue their trajectory, they will be the ones signing max deals when they are eligible.

I can't remember a free agent from ANOTHER TEAM signing a max contract with the Hawks the whole time they have been in Atlanta.  Have they even OFFERED one? :lol:

30 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I can't remember a free agent from ANOTHER TEAM signing a max contract with the Hawks the whole time they have been in Atlanta.  Have they even OFFERED one? :lol:

You say that as if you don't know the Spirit Group Ownership history.

Anyway Joe Johnson signed a 5yr/$70 million deal as a RFA in a SnT deal from Phoenix.  I don't know and I have no inclination to research wether that was a max deal or not since the whole 'max' contract was not a thing then as it was now, but it was considered a big contract.

g-dawg likes this

3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

You say that as if you don't know the Spirit Group Ownership history.

Anyway Joe Johnson signed a 5yr/$70 million deal as a RFA in a SnT deal from Phoenix.  I don't know and I have no inclination to research wether that was a max deal or not since the whole 'max' contract was not a thing then as it was now, but it was considered a big contract.

Isn't that the contract that had the Hawks ownership sueing each other? :lol:

7 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

I don’t think it was the contract that started the dispute. It was sending Phoenix two first round picks in that trade

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

No. As @cwell1 noted it wasn't the contract amount  that was in dispute.  It was the 2 1sts.

You asked if they've ever offered a max FA  - I provided you the answer.  You're on your own now. I've said all I say on this one.

Edited by jayu70

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

No. As @cwell1 noted it wasn't the contract amount  that was in dispute.  It was the 2 1sts.

You asked if they've ever offered a max FA  - I provided you the answer.  You're on your own now. I've said all I say on this one.

The point is the Hawks could not do it without THEMSELVES arguing about it.  Thats why Bud had to move on from Travis.  There was disagreement between the two.  The Hawks are doing things right under Travis.   

As far as offering a max deal or even a a big contract in general, I just don't see them doing that.  Heck, they could prove me wrong but you are not hearing the Hawks being connected to anyone.  In fact as Michael Cunningham pointed out in the AJC, Travis might trade BACK if anything.  Moving up for Culver will depend on lot of factors at the draft...

The Lakers are the new Atlanta Spirit...:lol: Thats who Travis needs to target and fleece...

Edited by slickgadawg

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

The point is the Hawks could not do it without THEMSELVES arguing about it.  Thats why Bud had to move on from Travis.  There was disagreement between the two.  The Hawks are doing things right under Travis.   

As far as offering a max deal or even a a big contract in general, I just don't see them doing that.  Heck, they could prove me wrong but you are not hearing the Hawks being connected to anyone.  In fact as Michael Cunningham pointed out in the AJC, Travis might trade BACK if anything.  Moving up for Culver will depend on lot of factors at the draft...

The Lakers are the new Atlanta Spirit...:lol: Thats who Travis needs to target and fleece...

You want rumors/speculation.....(this stuff is easy to find):

"The Atlanta Hawks are a young team with a lot to look forward to in the future. Trae Young has come around as of late, averaging 24 points, four rebounds and nine assists over his last 15 games, shooting 43 percent from deep. Kevin Huerter and John Collins have also been great for a Hawks team that is seemingly building something special.

Atlanta will have about $41 million in cap space this summer, and is expected to make a run at Durant, according to Sam Amick of The Athletic.

Yet for Atlanta’s purposes, Young’s progression has been positive enough to inspire a rethinking about this coming summer in which they’ll have approximately $41 million in salary cap space. According to a source with knowledge of their thinking, the Hawks are so bullish on the development of Young, fellow rookie Kevin Huerter and second-year big man John Collins that they want to explore even the biggest and boldest of offseason plans.

Translation: They’re planning to pursue meetings with the best-of-the-best in free agency when July 1 rolls around. It’s a half-court shot of sorts, to be sure, but they’d love nothing more than to fire that pitch to everyone from Kevin Durant on down."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/warriorswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/01/golden-state-warriors-rumors-atlanta-hawks-may-pursue-kevin-durant-in-free-agency/amp/

Edited by jayu70
Spts1 likes this

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

"The Atlanta Hawks are a young team with a lot to look forward to in the future. Trae Young has come around as of late, averaging 24 points, four rebounds and nine assists over his last 15 games, shooting 43 percent from deep. Kevin Huerter and John Collins have also been great for a Hawks team that is seemingly building something special.

Atlanta will have about $41 million in cap space this summer, and is expected to make a run at Durant, according to Sam Amick of The Athletic.

Yet for Atlanta’s purposes, Young’s progression has been positive enough to inspire a rethinking about this coming summer in which they’ll have approximately $41 million in salary cap space. According to a source with knowledge of their thinking, the Hawks are so bullish on the development of Young, fellow rookie Kevin Huerter and second-year big man John Collins that they want to explore even the biggest and boldest of offseason plans.

Translation: They’re planning to pursue meetings with the best-of-the-best in free agency when July 1 rolls around. It’s a half-court shot of sorts, to be sure, but they’d love nothing more than to fire that pitch to everyone from Kevin Durant on down."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/warriorswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/01/golden-state-warriors-rumors-atlanta-hawks-may-pursue-kevin-durant-in-free-agency/amp/

Good post !   They got the loot, will they offer it?  If KD OR Leonard were to sign with the Hawks, they immediately become the team to beat in the East....  The ONLY players on Toronto that I can say are clearly a upgrade than what the Hawks have are Leonard and Siakam.  A few of the rest are OK but nothing special.  If Leonard can take that bunch to the finals, imagine what he would do with a young Hawks core...

Edited by slickgadawg

On 6/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, slickgadawg said:

Dude it’s not even the same owner.

Instead of 20 owners who weren’t that rich and couldn’t agree,  we have ONE OWNER who is a billionaire and has a winner’s mindset.  He ain’t worried about max contracts - LOL :lol:

54 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Dude it’s not even the same owner.

Instead of 20 owners who weren’t that rich and couldn’t agree,  we have ONE OWNER who is a billionaire and has a winner’s mindset.  He ain’t worried about max contracts - LOL :lol:

The Hawks are going in the right direction, agreed, its just I have a difference of OPINION on whether the Hawks want to continue to build thru the draft vs signing big contract free agents.  Its good to hear Travis SAY he wants to get a big time free agent if the opportunity presents himself, but actually going out of his way to do it is another thing...

10 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

The Hawks are going in the right direction, agreed, its just I have a difference of OPINION on whether the Hawks want to continue to build thru the draft vs signing big contract free agents.  Its good to hear Travis SAY he wants to get a big time free agent if the opportunity presents himself, but actually going out of his way to do it is another thing...

It’s all a matter of timing and perception of the top free agents.  We aren’t there YET but probably will be next year.

Most of these top players opt out every other year anyway so if we miss out this year, there will be top targets again soon.

When you go after a top tier FA - it needs to be the RIGHT ONE.  

jayu70 likes this

9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

It’s all a matter of timing and perception of the top free agents.  We aren’t there YET but probably will be next year.

Most of these top players opt out every other year anyway so if we miss out this year, there will be top targets again soon.

When you go after a top tier FA - it needs to be the RIGHT ONE.  

I got two names for the 2020 free agent class,  Demar DeRozan and Montrezl Harrell.  DeRozan is starting to get up in basketball age but still has about 5 solid years in him. Signing him could allow them to move Huerter to the 3 and give them a bonafide playoff experienced veteran who can provide leadership. 

Montrezl Harrell is coming off his best season and will be a unrestricted free agent.  He would pair nicely upfront with Collins.  He is not the stand still and shoot center like Len and Dedmon.  He actually can bring the ball down the floor and has a nice inside game...

3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I got two names for the 2020 free agent class,  Demar DeRozan and Montrezl Harrell.  DeRozan is starting to get up in basketball age but still has about 5 solid years in him. Signing him could allow them to move Huerter to the 3 and give them a bonafide playoff experienced veteran who can provide leadership. 

Montrezl Harrell is coming off his best season and will be a unrestricted free agent.  He would pair nicely upfront with Collins.  He is not the stand still and shoot center like Len and Dedmon.  He actually can bring the ball down the floor and has a nice inside game...

Sure but either of those guys with our core gonna get us over the hump?  If not, why bother?

I don’t want a name just to have a name.  I don’t want 50 wins just to have 50 - been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Sure but either of those guys with our core gonna get us over the hump?  If not, why bother?

I don’t want a name just to have a name.  I don’t want 50 wins just to have 50 - been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

If KD,  Leonard or Davis don't walk thru that door, then this is the level of player the Hawks should pursue.  They are GREAT players.  Lebron James is gone.  If Atlanta can't walk down Milwaukee or Toronto with this years pick, the core they got and a nice free agent signing, then I don't know what else they can do...

38 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

If KD,  Leonard or Davis don't walk thru that door, then this is the level of player the Hawks should pursue.  They are GREAT players.  Lebron James is gone.  If Atlanta can't walk down Milwaukee or Toronto with this years pick, the core they got and a nice free agent signing, then I don't know what else they can do...

If you don’t have a Top 5 player, you won’t win an NBA Final.  I think the last time someone won it all without one was probably 15yrs ago with Detroit Pistons.

Spts1 likes this

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If you don’t have a Top 5 player, you won’t win an NBA Final.  I think the last time someone won it all without one was probably 15yrs ago with Detroit Pistons.

eeeh.   Thats historically been true, but if you look at the East, outside of Leonard, WHO is there?  Giannis got exposed in the playoffs, BIG TIME.  :lol:  I believe a solid TEAM can be the cream of that conference now.  We thought it was gonna be Boston but they have imploded.  Philly can't function with both Simmons and the other guy, so, its next team up...

Late edit.  THIS is why the Knicks rumor got started in the first place.  So they sign KD.  What do they have around him?

Edited by slickgadawg

9 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

eeeh.   Thats historically been true, but if you look at the East, outside of Leonard, WHO is there?  Giannis got exposed in the playoffs, BIG TIME.  :lol:  I believe a solid TEAM can be the cream of that conference now.  We thought it was gonna be Boston but they have imploded.  Philly can't function with both Simmons and the other guy, so, its next team up...

Late edit.  THIS is why the Knicks rumor got started in the first place.  So they sign KD.  What do they have around him?

Kawai is a Top 5 player.

This year the streak will go to 16.  You can take it to the bank.

NO Top 5 player  = NO Championship 

16 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Hopefully in a few years one of our current guys our 2019 draft picks is THE TOP 5 player, so adding guys like Montrezl Harrell would be ideal.:D

Spts1 likes this

5 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Shoot, if Durant leaves the Warriors, I can't think of many better places for him to than Atlanta. 

g-dawg likes this