Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Champford

Hawks could be moving up to #3

102 posts in this topic

Don't want to quote the entire article but that's why I'm glad this is just a rumor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

You are correct.  Its just it looks like they are following the Golden State blueprint.  Build thru the draft, THEN, add a solid free agent later.  If they did what you said, they are contenders, but its the money. I don't think they wanna spend yet.

The problem with that is we're not guaranteed a solid free agent is available later. If you can get him this year get him. Trades are legal too. Look at what a Kawhi trade did for Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The problem with that is we're not guaranteed a solid free agent is available later. If you can get him this year get him. Trades are legal too. Look at what a Kawhi trade did for Toronto.

Its the money, not the player.  I don't think the Hawks care WHO is available, they don't wanna pay a max contract.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Its the money, not the player.  I don't think the Hawks care WHO is available, they don't wanna pay a max contract.

Then they could end up like the Braves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Then they could end up like the Braves.

They both are trying to build the same way. I initially didn't like it but the Hawks in particular look like they know what they are doing. 

Culver in my opinion can be a great player.  My thinking is the Hawks see it also.  R.J. Barrett is overrated.  Thats not who they are looking at. 

 

Edited by slickgadawg
g-dawg and jayu70 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

They both are trying to build the same way. I initially didn't like it but the Hawks in particular look like they know what they are doing. 

Culver in my opinion can be a great player.  My thinking is the Hawks see it also.  R.J. Barrett is overrated.  Thats not who they are looking at. 

 

I just think the two picks are more valuable than moving up for Barrett or Culver. Don't get me wrong I like both but I'd rather sit on the picks or move em for a top shelf vet. I'd seriously be talking to the Pelicans about Davis who wants to bail. There aint no way in hail you're gonna convince me that Barrett or Culver is better than Anthony Davis. Trust me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I just think the two picks are more valuable than moving up for Barrett or Culver. Don't get me wrong I like both but I'd rather sit on the picks or move em for a top shelf vet. I'd seriously be talking to the Pelicans about Davis who wants to bail. There aint no way in hail you're gonna convince me that Barrett or Culver is better than Anthony Davis. Trust me.

Its the money, lol.  How many times do I have to say that the Hawks could care less who is available.  If they wanted Davis, Leonard, etc. you would have been heard a rumor about them being open to signing a max contract.  Not gonna happen.  They are building thru the draft.  There is nothing that is gonna be available at 8 or 10 that the Hawks feel can get them into contender status, thus, they wanna move up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I just think the two picks are more valuable than moving up for Barrett or Culver. Don't get me wrong I like both but I'd rather sit on the picks or move em for a top shelf vet. I'd seriously be talking to the Pelicans about Davis who wants to bail. There aint no way in hail you're gonna convince me that Barrett or Culver is better than Anthony Davis. Trust me.


The biggest problem with you plan is who in their right mind actually thinks Anthony Davis would sign a new contract to stay here after this year.  We don't have any other big name free agents to keep him here already and a really young squad that isn't winning yet.  If Davis was on a guaranteed contract for a few years then i would for sure be talking to ppl trying to get him.  But as it sits i wouldn't touch a Davis trade with a 10 ft pole and lose our 2 young rookies at 8 and 10 for a 1 year rental on a season we aren't even ready to compete in yet.

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:


The biggest problem with you plan is who in their right mind actually thinks Anthony Davis would sign a new contract to stay here after this year.  We don't have any other big name free agents to keep him here already and a really young squad that isn't winning yet.  If Davis was on a guaranteed contract for a few years then i would for sure be talking to ppl trying to get him.  But as it sits i wouldn't touch a Davis trade with a 10 ft pole and lose our 2 young rookies at 8 and 10 for a 1 year rental on a season we aren't even ready to compete in yet.

This!

The cost to acquire Davis would be too high. They's probably ask for Collins, the picks this year and future picks. Without him signing an extention before a trade the risk is too high that he walks. Then we have given ways assets for nothing.

We'd have 1 year to convince AD that he can win here and as is we aren't constructed to do so. Yes we have capspace to sign FAs but no guarantee that they will. 

As good as AD is he hasn't attracted any FAs and he's been too injury prone to be reliable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Its the money, not the player.  I don't think the Hawks care WHO is available, they don't wanna pay a max contract.

The Hawks would pay a max deal to Kawhi, Kevin and Klay. We don't need Kemba and Kyrie since we have Trae.

Guys like Khris Middleton, Tobias Harris, Vucevic will be demanding max contracts and should not be paid like max players. They are the Joe Johnson type players.

Just because a player is eligible for a max doesn't mean he should get one. 

Otto Porter has a max deal, smh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The problem with that is we're not guaranteed a solid free agent is available later. If you can get him this year get him. Trades are legal too. Look at what a Kawhi trade did for Toronto.

 

9 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Its the money, not the player.  I don't think the Hawks care WHO is available, they don't wanna pay a max contract.

Travis' thoughts.....

For us, it’s cumulative, everything we’ve got going positive right now,” Schlenk said of his pitch to free agents. “I think in the city there is a buzz about the Hawks right now just by the way we ended (the season). Obviously, we have the beautiful new arena, beautiful new practice facility, obviously we know the G League team is coming to College Park. There is a buzz around the league about our young core. Once we show we are in contention, playoff contending, that’s when free agents are going to look at this group and say ‘I want to go there because we can take it to the next level.’”

Schlenk believes he can currently get a meeting with top-tier free agents for one important reason even with the Hawks coming off a 29-win season. Money.

“We are in position to have those meetings because we have the (salary) cap space,” Schlenk said. “We are one of the few teams who can walk into a room and say here is $40 million. That gets you in the door. Then you have to show them you have the future flexibility to go out there and get another player with them. You have the young players currently on your roster who project to be superstar players. We feel like we are in a good spot and the future lined up to stay in that spot.”

Schlenk said he will know more about the team’s direction in free agency after the NBA draft on June 20.

 

Hawks aren't even in playoff contention as yet, that's why top level FAs won't come, yet. 

The idea of tanking was so you csn rebuild thru the draft, remain financially flexible while doing so, so that when the draftees show they have something you attract FAs. Nothing worse than rushing a rebuild by overpaying mid level FAs too much money.

 

 

No.11, g-dawg, blkbigdog35 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schlenk has a great plan in the works!  People have to realize the Hawks are being very smart about this.  Just keep building through draft!  FAs will eventually come!!

jayu70 and g-dawg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

 

Travis' thoughts.....

For us, it’s cumulative, everything we’ve got going positive right now,” Schlenk said of his pitch to free agents. “I think in the city there is a buzz about the Hawks right now just by the way we ended (the season). Obviously, we have the beautiful new arena, beautiful new practice facility, obviously we know the G League team is coming to College Park. There is a buzz around the league about our young core. Once we show we are in contention, playoff contending, that’s when free agents are going to look at this group and say ‘I want to go there because we can take it to the next level.’”

Schlenk believes he can currently get a meeting with top-tier free agents for one important reason even with the Hawks coming off a 29-win season. Money.

“We are in position to have those meetings because we have the (salary) cap space,” Schlenk said. “We are one of the few teams who can walk into a room and say here is $40 million. That gets you in the door. Then you have to show them you have the future flexibility to go out there and get another player with them. You have the young players currently on your roster who project to be superstar players. We feel like we are in a good spot and the future lined up to stay in that spot.”

Schlenk said he will know more about the team’s direction in free agency after the NBA draft on June 20.

 

Hawks aren't even in playoff contention as yet, that's why top level FAs won't come, yet. 

The idea of tanking was so you csn rebuild thru the draft, remain financially flexible while doing so, so that when the draftees show they have something you attract FAs. Nothing worse than rushing a rebuild by overpaying mid level FAs too much money.

 

 

 

Yeah this is what @FalconFanSince1970 and others don’t understand about how to build an NBA franchise.

Schlenk could go out this offseason and bring in 2-3 non superstars and do enough to get Hawks to a winning season and back in the playoffs.

But this ain’t MLB or NFL where the goal is to get in the playoffs and then you “have a chance”.  Right now there is really only 3-4 teams each year with a REAL chance.

You don’t GO FOR IT until you are in position to do so.  Schlenk should continue building out the base of this team and won’t sign a bunch of mid tier guys in free agency that are cap eaters - hello Bazemore & Plumlee.

As to the Braves, WTF? Braves did the rebuild correctly as well.  They need a few relievers but are on cusp of being relevant for the next decade.

jayu70, wuskillzz and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jayu70 said:

 

Travis' thoughts.....

For us, it’s cumulative, everything we’ve got going positive right now,” Schlenk said of his pitch to free agents. “I think in the city there is a buzz about the Hawks right now just by the way we ended (the season). Obviously, we have the beautiful new arena, beautiful new practice facility, obviously we know the G League team is coming to College Park. There is a buzz around the league about our young core. Once we show we are in contention, playoff contending, that’s when free agents are going to look at this group and say ‘I want to go there because we can take it to the next level.’”

Schlenk believes he can currently get a meeting with top-tier free agents for one important reason even with the Hawks coming off a 29-win season. Money.

“We are in position to have those meetings because we have the (salary) cap space,” Schlenk said. “We are one of the few teams who can walk into a room and say here is $40 million. That gets you in the door. Then you have to show them you have the future flexibility to go out there and get another player with them. You have the young players currently on your roster who project to be superstar players. We feel like we are in a good spot and the future lined up to stay in that spot.”

Schlenk said he will know more about the team’s direction in free agency after the NBA draft on June 20.

 

Hawks aren't even in playoff contention as yet, that's why top level FAs won't come, yet. 

The idea of tanking was so you csn rebuild thru the draft, remain financially flexible while doing so, so that when the draftees show they have something you attract FAs. Nothing worse than rushing a rebuild by overpaying mid level FAs too much money.

 

 

 

We never tanked. Thank goodness. PHO, NY and CLE tanked and look at what they got. I'm glad we didn't tank. Fk a ping pong ball. And that article you posted says to me Schlenk hasn't ruled out signing a max player this year as TATH claims. There are plenty free agents out there that are better than Joe Johnson. Draft a wing and back up point guard, like Hunter and Garland, then sign Vooch and we're competing in 2019-2020. With two firsts and two seconds in next year's draft, if CLE's pick translates.

Macknsweetjones likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah this is what @FalconFanSince1970 and others don’t understand about how to build an NBA franchise.

Schlenk could go out this offseason and bring in 2-3 non superstars and do enough to get Hawks to a winning season and back in the playoffs.

But this ain’t MLB or NFL where the goal is to get in the playoffs and then you “have a chance”.  Right now there is really only 3-4 teams each year with a REAL chance.

You don’t GO FOR IT until you are in position to do so.  Schlenk should continue building out the base of this team and won’t sign a bunch of mid tier guys in free agency that are cap eaters - hello Bazemore & Plumlee.

As to the Braves, WTF? Braves did the rebuild correctly as well.  They need a few relievers but are on cusp of being relevant for the next decade.

Vooch aint no Kent Bazemore bro. We're talking about a 28 year old, 7'0" 260 pound center coming off a 20.8 PPG, 12.8 RPG, 3.8 APG, 51.8 FG%, 36.4 FG3%, 78.9 FT%, 1.1 BPG, 1.0 SPG season. There may only be two centers in the league better than him. Embiid and Towns. He's the best center in free agency or the next two drafts. Bazemore my as. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What year do yall TATHers think we should play our free agent card?

  • 2019 - Kawhi, Durant, Kyrie, Vooch, Klay, Kemba, Tobias
  • 2020 - Davis, DeRozan, Lowry, Hayward, Drummond, Ibaka, Draymond
  • 2021 - Giannis, LeBron, George, Beal, McCollum, Ayton, Griffin

This year looks about as good as any to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Vooch aint no Kent Bazemore bro. We're talking about a 28 year old, 7'0" 260 pound center coming off a 20.8 PPG, 12.8 RPG, 3.8 APG, 51.8 FG%, 36.4 FG3%, 78.9 FT%, 1.1 BPG, 1.0 SPG season. There may only be two centers in the league better than him. Embiid and Towns. He's the best center in free agency or the next two drafts. Bazemore my as. 

Thank God you don’t have GM power

jayu70 and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We never tanked. Thank goodness. PHO, NY and CLE tanked and look at what they got. I'm glad we didn't tank. Fk a ping pong ball. And that article you posted says to me Schlenk hasn't ruled out signing a max player this year as TATH claims. There are plenty free agents out there that are better than Joe Johnson. Draft a wing and back up point guard, like Hunter and Garland, then sign Vooch and we're competing in 2019-2020. With two firsts and two seconds in next year's draft, if CLE's pick translates.

You don't think we tanked to get the #3 pick which ended up being  Trae (one of our cornerstone pieces of the rebuild) and whoever we draft at #10 this year? 

You don't think we tanked games 'based on lineup manipulation' to stay below Dallas to end the season?

No, we didn't do a Philly style tank (gutting the entire roster for GLers)  but we did enough where we wanted to be in position to get a high a pick as possible.

 

Yes, Schlenk is not opposed to  'max' FA, it just needs to be the right one.

Agressive but Responsible:

http://amicohoops.net/hawks-plan-to-be-aggressive-but-responsible-in-offseason/

 

http://amicohoops.net/hawks-plan-to-be-aggressive-but-responsible-in-offseason/

 

“I think what’s really important is a lot of times mistakes are made when teams go, ‘We have this cap space, we need to use it,’” Schlenk said. “You can’t spend it on the wrong guy. Right? I say all the time, if you make a mistake in a draft, it doesn’t kill your franchise.

“Obviously, you don’t want to make mistakes, but you’re talking about a two-year guaranteed contract with a small dollar amount. You make mistakes and free agents, and now you’re talking, to today’s world, a four-year contract at $25 to 30 million. Those can be [killers].”

 

 

 

Edited by jayu70
g-dawg and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

You don't think we tanked to get the #3 pick which ended up being  Trae (one of our cornerstone pieces of the rebuild) and whoever we draft at #10 this year? 

You don't think we tanked games 'based on lineup manipulation' to stay below Dallas to end the season?

No, we didn't do a Philly style tank (gutting the entire roster for GLers)  but we did enough where we wanted to be in position to get a high a pick as possible.

Don’t get FFS1970 started.  His favorite discussion on earth is “tanking”.  He will talk about it ad nauseum and has made a posting career out of it re: Falcons.  He will ruin this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don’t get FFS1970 started.  His favorite discussion on earth is “tanking”.  He will talk about it ad nauseum and has made a posting career out of it re: Falcons.  He will ruin this thread.

Noted and thanks for the heads up :D.

Tank or no tank,  Here we are today - rebuilding this team through the draft.

g-dawg and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jayu70 said:

This!

The cost to acquire Davis would be too high. They's probably ask for Collins, the picks this year and future picks. Without him signing an extention before a trade the risk is too high that he walks. Then we have given ways assets for nothing.

We'd have 1 year to convince AD that he can win here and as is we aren't constructed to do so. Yes we have capspace to sign FAs but no guarantee that they will. 

As good as AD is he hasn't attracted any FAs and he's been too injury prone to be reliable.

 

Exactly my thoughts as well and Jayu i didn't know you was on the Falcons site as well bro :D  I talk with you all the time on realgm im Threezus over there.

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jayu70 said:

The Hawks would pay a max deal to Kawhi, Kevin and Klay. We don't need Kemba and Kyrie since we have Trae.

Guys like Khris Middleton, Tobias Harris, Vucevic will be demanding max contracts and should not be paid like max players. They are the Joe Johnson type players.

Just because a player is eligible for a max doesn't mean he should get one. 

Otto Porter has a max deal, smh. 

The Hawks are not gonna pay a max deal to ANYONE.  It goes against why they tore the roster down in the first place...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0