Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Champford

Hawks could be moving up to #3

102 posts in this topic

Doubtful.

I've listened to several Schlenk interviews, plus several Steve Koonin interviews, and they repeat over and over how they want both top-10 selections.

I seriously doubt they went through all the crap they did to secure the Mavs pick in the Trae/Doncic chaos just so we could pick RJ Barrett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Beef said:

Doubtful.

I've listened to several Schlenk interviews, plus several Steve Koonin interviews, and they repeat over and over how they want both top-10 selections.

I seriously doubt they went through all the crap they did to secure the Mavs pick in the Trae/Doncic chaos just so we could pick RJ Barrett.

I had read somewhere else that if Hawks had #2 pick they would take Jarrett Culver over Ja Morant.

Why would you necessarily assume #3 would be for RJ?

Champford, Spts1 and FalconsIn2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i guess it all comes down to how special Schlenk thinks either BARRETT or CULVER is.   If he has a super strong feeling about either of those guys being special, then I would pull the string on a trade-up.   Otherwise, sit tight.

If we trade up, needs to be for someone who can be a 20pt type scorer in the NBA - not trading up for defensive specialist.

sdogg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say taking two is better than one.  I have also heard Hawks brass talking about having those two picks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I had read somewhere else that if Hawks had #2 pick they would take Jarrett Culver over Ja Morant.

Why would you necessarily assume #3 would be for RJ?

I mean I guess it could be Culver too since they're virtually the same player, but that almost makes it even worse.

We're giving up 2 top-10 picks for essentially RJ Barrett 2.0, but nearly 2 years older?

 

I know Steve Koonin isn't the GM, obviously, but he's done several stints with Dukes and Bell, and he basically admitted that they were dreaming of getting Zion on our team, but other than him, they were not overly enamored with anyone else, and they are VERY happy they have 2 top-10 picks.  Over and over, he repeated "We think we can get 2 quality guys who can contribute to this team with these 2 picks."

Koonin doesn't ever mince words, either.   The several ways he's discussed this with Dukes and Bell, he's pretty much confirmed we're picking 2 guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beef said:

Doubtful.

I've listened to several Schlenk interviews, plus several Steve Koonin interviews, and they repeat over and over how they want both top-10 selections.

I seriously doubt they went through all the crap they did to secure the Mavs pick in the Trae/Doncic chaos just so we could pick RJ Barrett.

 

Just now, blkbigdog35 said:

I say taking two is better than one.  I have also heard Hawks brass talking about having those two picks!

 

 

Yeah, but if they are really in love with someone like a Barrett or Culver then why not go after him if he is indeed your guy over just having 2 guys you are just "ok with"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

 

 

Yeah, but if they are really in love with someone like a Barrett or Culver then why not go after him if he is indeed your guy over just having 2 guys you are just "ok with"?

However though whose to say that the guys we get at 8 or 10 won’t be special players for us!  I believe in Schlenk and Co.  so I’m sure whatever they decide is going to be on point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beef said:

I mean I guess it could be Culver too since they're virtually the same player, but that almost makes it even worse.

We're giving up 2 top-10 picks for essentially RJ Barrett 2.0, but nearly 2 years older?

 

I know Steve Koonin isn't the GM, obviously, but he's done several stints with Dukes and Bell, and he basically admitted that they were dreaming of getting Zion on our team, but other than him, they were not overly enamored with anyone else, and they are VERY happy they have 2 top-10 picks.  Over and over, he repeated "We think we can get 2 quality guys who can contribute to this team with these 2 picks."

Koonin doesn't ever mince words, either.   The several ways he's discussed this with Dukes and Bell, he's pretty much confirmed we're picking 2 guys.

Koonin(CEO) is more the marketing guru - he probably wanted Zion more than Schlenk/Lloyd - his job is to sell tickets.

While I am sure Koonin knows a lot, he is not going to tip his hand past #1 overall.   I agree we probably stick at 8/10 but I wouldn't rule out anything right now and I doubt Schlenk has - at least not yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blkbigdog35 said:

However though whose to say that the guys we get at 8 or 10 won’t be special players for us!  I believe in Schlenk and Co.  so I’m sure whatever they decide is going to be on point!

 

Well, yeah

 

That is a great point. I'm currently at being cool with either route the Hawks choose to go.

Drew4719, g-dawg and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Koonin(CEO) is more the marketing guru - he probably wanted Zion more than Schlenk/Lloyd - his job is to sell tickets.

While I am sure Koonin knows a lot, he is not going to tip his hand past #1 overall.   I agree we probably stick at 8/10 but I wouldn't rule out anything right now and I doubt Schlenk has - at least not yet.

 

Yep, Zion would've been the marketing phenom they would've wanted.

 

Although, I think an RJ Barrett wouldn't be all that bad either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Yeah, but if they are really in love with someone like a Barrett or Culver then why not go after him if he is indeed your guy over just having 2 guys you are just "ok with"?

Because we have our superstars in Trae and John, and there is a very plausible chance Huerter develops into Clay Thompson Lite.

Hunter, Doumbouya, and even PJ Washington aren't THAT different from Barrett and Culver is another reason.  Only slightly lower ceiling with probably the same floor.

Len really surprised us, but he can still be upgraded.  And Dedmon is probably gone come FA.  Same with Carter.

And as much as our FO isn't saying it, we all know Prince is available with any trade package that might present itself.

We also don't really have a viable backup to Trae.

So depth at PG, SG, SF, and C is a definite need, PLUS a couple of those positions could use an upgrade.  I really don't want to fill depth with 3 second rounders only.  And Schlenk has already said we're not going to be active in FA until next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Well, yeah

 

That is a great point. I'm currently at being cool with either route the Hawks choose to go.

Yeah man it’s great to have a competent GM building our team where we can just sit back and know he’s going to bring in the right guys!

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd prefer to stay at #8 and #10. Not enamored with RJ enough to do the trade vs who we can get at 8/10.  If it was for Zion - it's a no brainier.

I saw these ideas floated

1.  trade up for #3, then trade back to #5 with Cavs and have them reduce to pick protection on the 2020 1st they owe us. (Just seems hard to pull off, eveything has to fall in place).

2.  Pick at #8, trade #10 in a move down with Boston and get #14 and #20 (for the record, trading with Ainge I'm always against).

blkbigdog35 and FalconsIn2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I had read somewhere else that if Hawks had #2 pick they would take Jarrett Culver over Ja Morant.

Why would you necessarily assume #3 would be for RJ?

I also heard that the only person over Culver was Zion on the Hawks wishlist.  They’d take him 2nd if that was their pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The knicks rumor verifies what i believe they are gonna do.  I thought they would move up to 4 or 5 but the Hawks ain't playing around.

PutMeInCoach likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

I'd prefer to stay at #8 and #10. Not enamored with RJ enough to do the trade vs who we can get at 8/10.  If it was for Zion - it's a no brainier.

I saw these ideas floated

1.  trade up for #3, then trade back to #5 with Cavs and have them reduce to pick protection on the 2020 1st they owe us. (Just seems hard to pull off, eveything has to fall in place).

2.  Pick at #8, trade #10 in a move down with Boston and get #14 and #20 (for the record, trading with Ainge I'm always against).

This one I’ve seen and like.  Could probably then package two 2nd round picks with 20 and get to 15.  Picks at 8, 14 & 15 and one 2nd round selection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

i guess it all comes down to how special Schlenk thinks either BARRETT or CULVER is.   If he has a super strong feeling about either of those guys being special, then I would pull the string on a trade-up.   Otherwise, sit tight.

If we trade up, needs to be for someone who can be a 20pt type scorer in the NBA - not trading up for defensive specialist.

They want Culver and I agree.  He has a smoothness to his game thst reminds me of Kawhi Leonard...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't move both first round picks for #3 in this draft. Maybe for a bonafide vet. Knicks have no vets I want. We need to be talking to them Pelicans about the #1 for the #8, #10, two seconds, Prince, Baze and Plumlee. Or some kind of Anthony Davis deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This deal is probably done, folks..Sorry for the 2-pick crowd

Maybe, The Hawks receive a Center back from The Knicks and their late 2nd rounder (or a future 1st rounder)

"Rumor-news" was blasted too much this week to not see truth in it..

Schlenk can find big men in the 2nd round.

No big free agent is coming.

I believe they build it through the draft, and pay from within like The Braves and Falcons now..

Barrett might sell some tickets, and he's a SF-wing.

It's already known that they want Huerter to be the SG. Culver would be redundant at the position, and drafting him would make The Hawks small defensively at SF..Pick #3 must start opening night.

The Hawks have good players with expiring deals to trade for a lower 1st round pick, or a defensive center.

I like a lot of the guys on the roster, but I doubt that The Hawks are giving-out any more long-term deals before a major free-agent signs, and/or John Collins' future deal first.

 

 

Edited by Rise
PutMeInCoach likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I wouldn't move both first round picks for #3 in this draft. Maybe for a bonafide vet. Knicks have no vets I want. We need to be talking to them Pelicans about the #1 for the #8, #10, two seconds, Prince, Baze and Plumlee. Or some kind of Anthony Davis deal.

 

Thats just it.  The Hawks are not gonna pay anyone any max contracts anytime soon.  They have Cleveland's first round pick next year, 11-30. So they can get a solid piece this season thru the draft and tweak it next season.  Thats how I believe they are looking at this.

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Thats just it.  The Hawks are not gonna pay anyone any max contracts anytime soon.  They have Cleveland's first round pick next year, 11-30. So they can get a solid piece this season thru the draft and tweak it next season.  Thats how I believe they are looking at this.

They should pay a max contract this year. Give me Vooch or an Anthony Davis deal. Five spot immediately fixed with one of them and Len. Then draft a wing and back up point guard. Do that and we're in the mix right away with our first and possibly CLE's still intact next year.

Spts1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They should pay a max contract this year. Give me Vooch or an Anthony Davis deal. Five spot immediately fixed with one of them and Len. Then draft a wing and back up point guard. Do that and we're in the mix right away with our first and possibly CLE's intact next year.

Vooch is the only true option at this point, and I wish people would stop the madness of this trade up Travis is 95% chance not going to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They should pay a max contract this year. Give me Vooch or an Anthony Davis deal. Five spot immediately fixed with one of them and Len. Then draft a wing and back up point guard. Do that and we're in the mix right away with our first and possibly CLE's intact next year.

You are correct.  Its just it looks like they are following the Golden State blueprint.  Build thru the draft, THEN, add a solid free agent later.  If they did what you said, they are contenders, but its the money. I don't think they wanna spend yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard sell for Knicks if they want two draft picks from Hawks for one

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check/hard-sell-for-knicks-they-want-two-draft-picks-from-hawks-for-one/35zYdJ0MxlsKUExev24mzI/

ESPN reported Friday that the Knicks are considering trading the No. 3 overall pick in the June 20 draft to the Hawks for picks Nos. 8 and 10. The Hawks are not considering that deal because, as I hear it, they hadn’t heard from the Knicks about a trade as of Friday afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0