Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fuego

Every NFL Team's Smartest Move of the 2019 Offseason

Atlanta Falcons: Fired Steve Sarkisian

The cap-strapped Atlanta Falcons smartly bolstered the offensive line in free agency and the draft, but the team's decision to move on from offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian after two poor seasons on the job is likely to make the biggest positive difference in Atlanta. 

Personnel-wise, not much changed offensively for the Falcons between 2016, 2017 and 2018. And yet after leading the NFL in scoring in that Super Bowl season under Kyle Shanahan, the Sarkisian-led Atlanta offense barely ranked in the top 10 with a 23.9 points-per-game average in 2017 and 2018. 

The talented Falcons famously struggled to finish drives in the red zone the last couple seasons, and their inconsistent results from week to week were remarkable. They were the only team in the NFL to score 30-plus points and 20 or fewer points on more than 10 occasions each over that two-year stretch, signaling that a change was necessary. 

There's no telling what new OC Dirk Koetter will do with an offense he helped mold earlier this decade, but the key is that the Falcons didn't let the Sarkisian era linger.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2838320-every-nfl-teams-smartest-move-of-the-2019-offseason?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl#slide3

9 minutes ago, Jesus said:

To be fair his red zone % went from 50% in 2017 to 64% in 2018 which is the best number of any of the offenses Matt ran. The 74% red zone defense on the other hand was the worst of the Matt Ryan era.

I think Sark showed great improvement in 2018. His offenses just had a few bad performances that people remembered. But overall we did well, especially considering the O-Line injuries, having rookies at WR and RB, missing you starting RB and having literally zero defense.

15 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Inconsistent much?

“They were the only team in the NFL to score 30-plus points and 20 or fewer points on more than 10 occasions each over that two-year stretch, signaling that a change was necessary.”

The Sark hiring was an epic FAIL and Quinn doubled-down on the stupidity by keeping him an extra year. One of the bigger mistakes he's made since he's been HC.

Just now, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I think Sark showed great improvement in 2018. His offenses just had a few bad performances that people remembered. But overall we did well, especially considering the O-Line injuries, having rookies at WR and RB, missing you starting RB and having literally zero defense.

The Ravens game really sticks in my craw. He had a good game plan to start, moving the ball with dink and dunk, but then after that kept trying to throw the ball deep against the best deep passing defense in the league. The browns game was another one where he couldn't adjust to what they were giving them. Both these games came after his masterpiece in DC when they manhandled the Redskins defense. I was sure they were turning a corner and making a run.

10 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

He failed against play off teams and good defenses. I don’t think he wasn’t terrible nor particularly bad but he wasn’t gonna make this offense to potential against good teams.

12 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

A-FREAKING-MEN

Sark scored all his points against bad teams. No shot in the playoffs. None 

To be fair to Sark, the only playoffs he was involved in, Matt Ryan was spending all his time at the hospital with his wife and twins,  Ryan was going through game plans sitting up at night in a hospital room with his wife, who was in danger of losing the twins. Ryan was seriously distracted-it was his worst playoff run in years. 

An OC is only as good as the line protecting the qb...and that failed us last year....and to a degree on 2017.

Sark had his faults....like every OC does but the injuries on the Oline as well as RS just completely fall off of a cliff did more to damage the Falcons than anything Sark did.

Just now, falconidae said:

To be fair to Sark, the only playoffs he was involved in, Matt Ryan was spending all his time at the hospital with his wife and twins,  Ryan was going through game plans sitting up at night in a hospital room with his wife, who was in danger of losing the twins. Ryan was seriously distracted-it was his worst playoff run in years. 

And we had a chance to win vs Philly....Julio could not come up with a catch that would have won the game.

Also in 2017 the falcons lead the league in dropped passes......there is not a single solitary thing that am OC can do when he calls a play.. The line protects...the QB makes a good throw....and then the wr drops it.

In short the premise of this is f****** stupid.

But it is the bleacher report....and it is often f****** stupid

9 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Also in 2017 the falcons lead the league in dropped passes......there is not a single solitary thing that am OC can do when he calls a play.. The line protects...the QB makes a good throw....and then the wr drops it.

In short the premise of this is f****** stupid.

But it is the bleacher report....and it is often f****** stupid

7th in dropped passes in 2017, 16th in 2018. From what I've seen.

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

7th in dropped passes in 2017, 16th in 2018. From what I've seen.

I have seen where we were tied for leage lead in 17.

Either way there was a marketable difference in execution ...the argument against Sark has always been lazy

I made a post when they let him go.. That it was the best move they have made in at least 10 years.. He was our problem .. so so easy to see it. 

I want to end this post by saying,, If having such a terrible OC helped TD and Quinn to do what all we have done in this off season ??? Then I have to say , I';m glad it happened.. 

Because we have never had such a great off season as this one.. Period.!!  

We now have IMO the most talented team this franchise has ever had,, And also now we have what I believe will be the right OC and Head Coach to take us at least very deep in the playoffs.. I actually have a hard time thinking of us not making it to a SB this year.. with one big if as always.. If Ryan stays healthy and be the Iron man he has always been.. He's the key now.. He's driving this Train.

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

The Sark hiring was an epic FAIL and Quinn doubled-down on the stupidity by keeping him an extra year. One of the bigger mistakes he's made since he's been HC.

I can’t get on board with this. Last seasons offense was essentially the 2016 season with a worse o-line and no Freeman. Ryan played like an MVP. Sark was fine last season. 

52 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I can’t get on board with this. Last seasons offense was essentially the 2016 season with a worse o-line and no Freeman. Ryan played like an MVP. Sark was fine last season. 

Definitely respect your opinion, JD but I can't believe having Sark around last year instead of someone else with more NFL experience and an established track record of success was the right move.

The results of last season's offense were far more because of Matt and the other players than Sark doing anything above-average with his play-calling or game-planning.

Hard to give Sark any credit when you don't see any area of the offense where his being OC made a noticeable difference in critical situations. That may seem unfair or harsh, but that's my take on him.

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I made a post when they let him go.. That it was the best move they have made in at least 10 years.. He was our problem .. so so easy to see it. 

I want to end this post by saying,, If having such a terrible OC helped TD and Quinn to do what all we have done in this off season ??? Then I have to say , I';m glad it happened.. 

Because we have never had such a great off season as this one.. Period.!!  

We now have IMO the most talented team this franchise has ever had,, And also now we have what I believe will be the right OC and Head Coach to take us at least very deep in the playoffs.. I actually have a hard time thinking of us not making it to a SB this year.. with one big if as always.. If Ryan stays healthy and be the Iron man he has always been.. He's the key now.. He's driving this Train.

You say that every year though  . 

What ever blows your hair back...this is not the same team/personnel as last year nor did Sark (who I’m not a big fan of) have the same team as Shanny....injuries, different OL, Freeman missing and not healthy plus other variables including half the defense on IR. So yeah it’s obviously better now with the OL additions plus Ridley but who knows what Sark could’ve of done in the same situation...you don’t, I don’t and we never will. Just to top it off ...if and I know IF Shanny run the dem ball three straight times and kicks a 40 or less yds FG we have a Lombardi. Too many if aunts and uncles here.

But yeah I’ll take Dirk and Mularkey