BlazerSlayer

Takk playing some LB

105 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

He’s never shown to be a cute coach. I never saw it in Seattle and I haven’t seen it whenever he took over the defense. I think he’s doing all the things he used to do in Seattle now that he’s the DC. He can focus on the details and have them do what HE wants the way he wants it done. He’s a no non sense coach. Not a cute guy. You can’t be fast and physical getting cute cause you’re giving them too much to think about. 

What your saying aligns with the goal of the 4-3 under.  Single gap responsibility, less thinking, more reacting

3 hours ago, red falcon said:

I just think if we could generate some pass rush people would look at the team differently. 

That super bowl appearance they looked amazing, they just got tired..... running the ball would have saved them.

Believe it or not, the 4-3 under is a defense predicated on stopping the run first and foremost.  That’s the #1 objective.  It uses an eight-man box to stop the run (one safety positioned close to the line of scrimmage) and a single-high safety who can get sideline to sideline in cover 3. 

The scheme must have sound corner play but they don’t produce huge sack numbers (Jaguars 2 years ago were the exception).  They just dont

3 hours ago, athell said:

That is my light at the end of the tunnel, my one hope.  They looked better the back half of 2016 and into the playoffs.  Praying he can fix this defense again.

They were running man during that period of time.  Much less Cover 3 once Tru went down.  I hope we see far more Cover 1 and pattern match Cover 3 this year

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

So far our defense under 4 years of Quinn has not been any better than it was under smith’s 1st 4 seasons  (2008-11).....more talent, but less results.

a lot riding on Quinn changing that this upcoming season. 

I would disagree a bit here.  In 2013 & 2014 we were giving up 27 ppg.  27th in the NFL both years.  

Quinn came in and brought it down to 21 ppg (13th I believe).  2016 we let 3 rookies take their lumps and teams were trying to play catch up.  2017 we were top 8.  Last year was derailed by week 3.

I still have a lot of confidence in Quinn as a top-3 defensive coordinator.  We will know more in 6 months

9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I would disagree a bit here.  In 2013 & 2014 we were giving up 27 ppg.  27th in the NFL both years.  

Quinn came in and brought it down to 21 ppg (13th I believe).  2016 we let 3 rookies take their lumps and teams were trying to play catch up.  2017 we were top 8.  Last year was derailed by week 3.

I still have a lot of confidence in Quinn as a top-3 defensive coordinator.  We will know more in 6 months

Vandy said Quinn's first 4 and Smith's first 4 years.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Vandy said Quinn's first 4 and Smith's first 4 years.

Good point.  

Im just saying let’s give Quinn a chance.  There is a reason to think he can get us a top 10-12 defense.  

Smith’s 2010 & 2012 defenses were top 5 in the NFL.  Much more veteran and talented personnel than our 2015/2016 units

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Good point.  

Im just saying let’s give Quinn a chance.  There is a reason to think he can get us a top 10-12 defense.  

Smith’s 2010 & 2012 defenses were top 5 in the NFL.  Much more veteran and talented personnel than our 2015/2016 units

I don't trust his dumb*** won't get us to be a good defense then hand the keys to someone else again just for them to **** it up.

**** Quinn.

@Flying Falcon

Where the pic at?

2 hours ago, No.11 said:

That's why he's taken over playcalling duties. As the saying goes, "if you want something done right do it yourself." He felt that the defense hasn't performed to what its capable of, and so after two trial runs of DCs he's decided to take matters into his own hands. So now 2019 will be the true test of whether he is a guru or not, because provided that most everyone stays healthy, it should at least be top 10 going by the standard set in 2017.

Still missing our Poe.  His value was huge for us next to Grady.  And please don’t say Davidson/Hageman 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

He does have to bring it. 

My belief is he never was hands-off the defense last year with Manuel. Why would he do that, defense is his forte’ and it struggled all year long? I guarantee you they spent hours and hours together on it every week  watching film, discussing scheme adjustments, etc....The two of them just didn’t have the personnel to turn it around. 

I completely agree.  His hands were all over that defense.  It’s why our defense will resemble 2017 if healthy.  It will make you go 13 plays and hope you make a mistake.  It’s classic Seattle Cover 3 with a 4-3 under.

It will stop the run, though

5 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I completely agree.  His hands were all over that defense.  It’s why our defense will resemble 2017 if healthy.  It will make you go 13 plays and hope you make a mistake.  It’s classic Seattle Cover 3 with a 4-3 under.

It ain’t that easy. As a HC you can’t be in one side of the ball like that. That’s why it’s imperative to have an OC that you can fully trust to run the offense or vice versa. Rex Ryan used to talk about how he’d miss offensive series because he was the DC. Quinn has been a full time HC meaning he isn’t as hands on as you and @Vandy might think. With sark he couldn’t leave the offense alone with him so that’s not gonna give him flexibility to be all defense. There was a whole round table Quinn’s rookie year with Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis, Bruce arians and a couple other guys. They all talked about being a specialty coach and how difficult it is to manage the team while wanting to give extra attention to your side of the ball. They all said they struggled with the decision to just manage the team or DC/OC because there’s no way you can coordinate and and oversee everything. I’m sure Quinn went over things with Manuel but with the team in disarray he couldn’t just focus on defense. The offense was hurting too. With the coaches he has on offense he can focus all in hands on time to the defense. He was able to do that in 2016 second half of the year because Kyle is a helluva OC. The offense was in good hands. Not so much with Sark. That’s like you running your own law firm but you only focus on criminal cases but your copyright lawyers are getting their @sses kicked. You don’t want half your firm looking good but the other side not. You have to oversee the entire thing. You gotta know what’s going on with all cases. 

kiwifalcon and No.11 like this

11 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

We don’t have any square peg round holes. It’s literally a scheme specific defense. Just like Seattle’s was. And it ain’t the glory days thing. Seattle is just a blue print. Just like **** lebeau. He’s gonna run his 3-4 defense no matter where he goes. And he’s gonna get the same type of players to make it run. ANY good coach will do that. Any good coach also knows last season was last season. You deal with each new season accordingly. Nobody changes what they’re used to doing for a career. You may tweak it but you don’t completely change. Belichik has never completely changed to something he’s never done. Why would Quinn be any different? You’re signing your own death certificate when you do that. 

All we need is a PMF tuition and school will be done for the week.

Thanks Bro.

15 hours ago, athell said:

My main concern is Quinn getting too handsy and too cute with this defense, overthinking it, and outkicking his coverage.  I guess if he does, it will be the last time he does for the Atlanta Falcons, but ugh man I just want a great defense.

I was just about to post something similar well said. 

athell likes this

11 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I completely agree.  His hands were all over the defense. It’s why our defense will resemble 2017 if healthy.  It will make you go 13 plays and hope you make a mistake.  It’s classic Seattle Cover 3 with a 4-3 under.

Of course they were. Yet we still finished 28th in league in total defense.

Beasley + Takk have got to show up and play up to their potential, putting enough pressure on QBs so they make those mistakes you speak of. 

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Of course they were. We finished 28th in league in total defense.

Beasley + Takk have got to show up and play up to their potential, putting enough pressure on QBs so they make those mistakes you speak of. 

Beasley + Takk wow does that have mediocre written all over it

athell likes this

15 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good point.  

No my man, Smith’s defenses were not more talented personnel-wise,  fact is both coaches took over terrible defenses. TD/Smith went more of a hybrid vet/draft approach on defense, while TD/DQ went primarily draft. But it’s a TAFT myth Smith didn’t play rookies, he used a mixture. 

When smith took over falcons, they had finished 29th in total defense (yards allowed) in the year before he was hired, 22nd the year before that. They steadily improved to 24/21/16/12th his 1st 4 seasons as head coach. All with-in an organization that was built with an offense-1st mentality. 

When Quinn took over falcons in 2015, the defense had finished 32nd in 2014, 27th in 2013. They went 16/25/9/28 during his 1st 4 seasons. Under TD/Quinn, there was a greater emphasis of building the defense through the draft in his 1st 4 drafts than it was under TD/Smith’s 1st 4 years. 

FalconsIn2012 and athell like this

Some posters are acting like Quinn is Mike Nolan about to pull out his "Drop the DT into a deep zone" plays. Quinn has never been like that. 

3 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Some posters are acting like Quinn is Mike Nolan about to pull out his "Drop the DT into a deep zone" plays. Quinn has never been like that. 

Quinn does drop DT's into coverage tho.  He's done it w/ Grady.  He did it in Seattle.

Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

4 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

He's done it. Dont act like he hasnt.

4 minutes ago, athell said:

Quinn does drop DT's into coverage tho.  He's done it w/ Grady.  He did it in Seattle.

Once in a blue moon, and not turn your hips and run backwards kind of coverages. My point is Nolan got cute all the time: it was his calling card actually. Quinn switches it up sometimes because you have to or else your defense gets predictable. He isn't over here about to make Takk a cover LB'er full time or even 5% of the time.  

5 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

He's done it. Dont act like he hasnt.

Find me a decent DC that has never dropped a DLineman into coverage. There isn't one. Doing it a handful of times a season isn't getting gimmicky. 

Think about it this way: Sanu gets to the throw the ball a few times a season, but we aren't a gimmicky offense. Tebow's offenses were gimmicky because the weird run-pass trickery was a backbone of the offensive gameplan, not just an occasional thing. 

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Once in a blue moon, and not turn your hips and run backwards kind of coverages. My point is Nolan got cute all the time: it was his calling card actually. Quinn switches it up sometimes because you have to or else your defense gets predictable. He isn't over here about to make Takk a cover LB'er full time or even 5% of the time.  

Those Nolan amoeba defenses were random and fun tho lol

But yeah, I understand your point.  My personal thing, which I acknowledge is my personal thing, is it seems DQ understands this year, this defense, is all on him and he may need to pull out all the stops...perhaps even in desperation...to save his job.  The whole "throw **** against the wall and see what sticks" approach.

Vandy likes this