Jump to content

Tigers @ Braves


Recommended Posts

Alright... we are going up against one of the worst teams in baseball. Time to get a sweep!!

Friday, May 31st @ 7:20 PM
Turnbull (2-4) vs. Folty (1-3)

Saturday, June 1 @ 4:10 PM
Norris (2-3) vs. Soroka (5-1)

Sunday, June 2 @ 1:20 PM
Boyd (5-4) vs. Teheran (3-4)

Detroit is well... horrible offensively. 29th in runs scored and 28th in batting average across the majors. So please don't have a last night's performance happen at all this series lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm still trying to comprehend Austin Riley being tied for 4th in HR's and only having played 14 games...

Somebody is just going to have to be the bigger man and just not respond to the other.  Don't care which one but jeez guys, let it go. Now to a ballgame that is actually worth watching.  "Taking

Keuchel and Kimbrel lose the draft pick stigma at 12:01 AM on Monday. Both are expected to sign quickly. Braves reportedly in on both.

Posted Images

Excerpt from a recent Athletic article that ranks the best pitch framers in baseball:

 

1. Tyler Flowers, Braves

Many catchers are better defensively than Tyler Flowers. But Flowers’ pitch-framing success more than makes up for his defensive deficiencies. Over the past three seasons, Flowers leads the majors in Strike Zone Runs Saved and is far better than anyone else when that is prorated per 1,000 innings.

Most Strike Zone Runs saved per 1,000 innings (2017–2019)

Player No.
Tyler Flowers 21
Max Stassi 17
Austin Hedges 15
Austin Barnes 14

“His pitch framing is out of this world,” Braves starter Mike Foltynewicz told The Athletic’s Dave O’Brien a year ago. “When he gets behind that dish, you know he’s getting three, four, five, six, seven calls for you a game. It really just changes the game. You can be that much more confident knowing you throw this pitch and he’s either going to block it or get a nice frame for you.”

Flowers sometimes uses a stance in which he has one knee on the ground so that he can get as low as possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

I’m starting to cringe anytime I see the word sweep before the series begins.. 

Bruh you are our board optimist!!! You are the one I expect to see telling everyone to chill out because we are about to go on a long win streak!

We just couldn't go 162-0. We will have to settle for 136-26 I guess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

Excerpt from a recent Athletic article that ranks the best pitch framers in baseball:

 

1. Tyler Flowers, Braves

Many catchers are better defensively than Tyler Flowers. But Flowers’ pitch-framing success more than makes up for his defensive deficiencies. Over the past three seasons, Flowers leads the majors in Strike Zone Runs Saved and is far better than anyone else when that is prorated per 1,000 innings.

Most Strike Zone Runs saved per 1,000 innings (2017–2019)

Player No.
Tyler Flowers 21
Max Stassi 17
Austin Hedges 15
Austin Barnes 14

“His pitch framing is out of this world,” Braves starter Mike Foltynewicz told The Athletic’s Dave O’Brien a year ago. “When he gets behind that dish, you know he’s getting three, four, five, six, seven calls for you a game. It really just changes the game. You can be that much more confident knowing you throw this pitch and he’s either going to block it or get a nice frame for you.”

Flowers sometimes uses a stance in which he has one knee on the ground so that he can get as low as possible. 

I didn't know that about Flowers overall leading the league, but I did notice that he was great at framing a pitch.

On a much lower level, my daughter is on a A level travel softball team, 18U team, and a catcher. She is not as big and strong as other catchers, but can frame and block better than most. That is why she is on an A level team because of framing a pitch. Framing is a true catcher skill and often times over looked by people who aren't famillar with the position. It's all about the angle of the catchers glove when they catch the ball on a low,inside or outside pitch to get a strike called on a pitch that easily could be called a ball. There are many other things good framers do, but glove placement is the most important.

Believe me I sat in catching lessons for 10 years learning all about the little things good framers do for their pitchers!

Anyone can catch a strike and get a strike called, it is the great catchers that can catch a borderline pitch and get a strike called.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Bruh you are our board optimist!!! You are the one I expect to see telling everyone to chill out because we are about to go on a long win streak!

We just couldn't go 162-0. We will have to settle for 136-26 I guess. 

I’m on board with that.. just not so far as pronouncing wins before they happen.. I’m definitely an optimist.. but also extremely superstitious 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect opportunity to get back on track. The Tigers are the worst offense in the AL and only better than Miami. They've hit 5 more HRs and scored 16 more runs than the fighting Jeters otherwise they'd be dead last in both those stats. They are also are near the bottom of the AL in defense. They've committed 34 errors this year. Their pitching staff has a 4.76 ERA and teams are hitting .259 against them with 82 HRs. The Braves have a chance to make some noise if they dont turn the Tigers into the Lions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Come on, let me think I’m more important than I am.

But yeah, that was brutal.  Just my opinion, but the Braves WS window doesn’t realistically open for another 2-3 years once our young arms make the jump up from AA and AAA

It’s hard to say but when it opens it will be open for about 10 years in my estimation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Something to do with how many pitches that are balls that catchers turn into strikes and vise versa and how that translates into runs gained or allowed.


You know what scares me about this bro.  The fact that we have the best catcher in baseball at helping you get extra strikes to save the pitchers butts and yet we still lead the mlb this year 2nd worst last year and 5th worth the year before in most walks by pitchers.   How bad would it be if Flowers wasn't our catcher and we had a avg or worse guy at framing.  We already avg almost 600 walks a year since 1017 with flowers.  Would we reach 700 a year without him and we all know thats where our team struggles the most and it's bites us in the *** is when we start giving out those free bases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, K26dp said:

Flowers is so good with the framing, but his pitch sequencing seems to get worse each year. I thought hanging out with McCann may help that, but not so far.

This is an understatement. 

I believe there was a sequence in Soroka's last start where he missed 3 times to the outside and instead of coming in again he sat up outside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, K26dp said:

Flowers is so good with the framing, but his pitch sequencing seems to get worse each year. I thought hanging out with McCann may help that, but not so far.

That is what pisses me off with Flowers. I'll never forgive him for throwing 8 straight fastballs to Manny Machado when Manny had proven that he couldn't lay off the slider low and away. How anyone with an ounce of common sense does that I'll never understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...