Jump to content

Let's take a look at our DL, shall we?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

1st line of defense. But, I took it that you already knew that. So, they missed time, so they was not injuried. Just hurt.

They missed time (multiple games between them) through injuries, that I'm sure hurt - particularly Shelby's season ending injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

Quiin's seahawks won a super bowl with a collection of undersized DLinemen. Looks like the same plan of attack this year. Looks like Senat, Hageman & Davidson on run downs, Grady, Clayborn & Crawford on passing downs.

Should be enough talent to rotate them so that the interior pass rushers are fresh for the 4th quarter. If they can get 7-8 sacks from Takk and Beasely, may work well enough to complement the offense. Got to have a killer year on offense.

Not sure why having players on one year contracts affects 2019.

Roll over cap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pessimism is gargantuan in here!!

Im personally pretty satisfied with what we have after the offseason. 

Clayborn and J. Crawford can both potentially be DEs in the base D. Both 280 lbs plus guys who are tough and physical but are adept at getting after the QB. 

Grady and T. Davidson are both stout inside. Not super big bodies but both super strong for their size. They will be effective at holding the POA. 

Vic and Takk are both very capable nickel DEs. I think they benefit from having Clayborn back. They get to stay fresh and be ready for pass rush situations. They are both easily 5-7 sack guys but we need them to be 8-10 sack guys routinely. 

The bench improved as well. Senat is in year 2. He flashed as a 1 tech last year. Expecting him to become heavier in rotation. Then obviously Crawford is the nickel rusher at DT. Im also excited about Hageman and Cominsky can bring in spurts. Neither will play a bunch but they get to be explosive in limited action which I think is best for both. 

Id love to add another capable DE to the roster....maybe thats a vet or maybe its one of our young guys. Minicamp and training camp will tell the story. Also June 1st cuts are around the corner. 

I think we have an above average group. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jesus said:

Why do so many people act like Crawford isn't on the team?

Crawford: 16 games 1 int 1 PD 6 sacks 35 tackles 7 TFL 9 QB hits
Jarrett: 14 games 6 sacks 52 tackles 8 TFL 16 QB hits

That's a pretty good interior line. One makes 15 million the other makes 2.5.

I've been saying it for a while but Jack Crawford is the most underrated guy on the dline and possibly the defense.  He was 2nd on the team in sacks last season and is consistently forgotten by this board.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Vandy said:

Quinn was our Head Coach last year, yes? 

So if he couldn’t breathe some “fire and urgency” into DL as the HC, Why do so many in here expect that to happen as the DC? 

More than anything, Defense needs to stay healthy. And Beasley and Takk need to figure out how to play up to their 1st round draft status.

The Head coach does not call the defensive plays ingame. Until this year. The second half of 2016 was the best defense we've played since DQ was hired and as we all know now it was because he took over playcalling. There was a demonstrably noted difference in how aggressively they played. This shouldn't be that hard to grasp..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

The Head coach does not call the defensive plays ingame. Until this year. The second half of 2016 was the best defense we've played since DQ was hired and as we all know now it was because he took over playcalling. There was a demonstrably noted difference in how aggressively they played. This shouldn't be that hard to grasp..

That's because there was no film on the way Quinn called plays. That's why it worked whe he took over in 2016.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, vafalconfan said:

The Head coach does not call the defensive plays ingame. Until this year. The second half of 2016 was the best defense we've played since DQ was hired and as we all know now it was because he took over playcalling. There was a demonstrably noted difference in how aggressively they played. This shouldn't be that hard to grasp..

Yet it apparently is hard to grasp for you. Again, “fire and urgency” is a very big part of a head coach’s job description.

Dan Quinn is a defensive-minded coach. If you know anything about football, then you would know he has had considerable input in how his defense has been run during his time as HC.

Now, Can he improve over what Manuel did as DC? One would hope so, but the defense’s biggest improvement will be (as I’ve stated several times in this thread) (1) the starters staying healthy and (2) Quinn getting Beasley and Takk to perform up to their abilities, which so far he and his coaching staff have not been able to get them to do on a consistent basis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, since68andcounting said:

 

CROSS HIM OFF, THEN!!!   LMFAO

 

- I dont know most of these guys , and the ones I do know are way past their prime 

        -  Most of these guys never had a prime

               -  This guy here is dead

                           -  Well cross him off then

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

We're gonna win a lot of games 37-34. Or lose them 37-34.

If that happens, won’t be anything radically different....pretty much been that way for last decade or so in Atlanta.

im hoping/thinking our defense might surprise folks with Quinn taking his foot off the brakes from this passive-**** we’ve been seeing the last two years... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They finally got Vic some help.. He'll shine this year... Just watch and see.... Look at our DL the last few years... and when Vic did well.. I mean how good is a Cake with no sugar in it ??  You have to have all the ingredeance to make a Cake.. So as to having a SB contender team in the NFL.   After what I will call the best Off season since I've been a fan ,, and that was in 1972.. So in the 47 years I've been a fan,, This Draft and FA pick ups would be #1 ... I kid thee not.  :munch:

Sure , if you were on here when we drafted JJ,, you all know I was his biggest fan and could not believe we got him.. But ,, I'm talking about a draft as a whole.. I think this one is as good as we have ever had.. But sure.. only time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2019 at 10:56 AM, Vandy said:

Yet it apparently is hard to grasp for you. Again, “fire and urgency” is a very big part of a head coach’s job description.

Dan Quinn is a defensive-minded coach. If you know anything about football, then you would know he has had considerable input in how his defense has been run during his time as HC.

Now, Can he improve over what Manuel did as DC? One would hope so, but the defense’s biggest improvement will be (as I’ve stated several times in this thread) (1) the starters staying healthy and (2) Quinn getting Beasley and Takk to perform up to their abilities, which so far he and his coaching staff have not been able to get them to do on a consistent basis.

Wow!.. well let's revisit this one the season starts..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2019 at 10:38 AM, Flying Falcon said:

That's because there was no film on the way Quinn called plays. That's why it worked whe he took over in 2016.

So...all that film from Seattle? Look it's not just the play calling, but how it's communicated. We'll find out in a few months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

They finally got Vic some help.. He'll shine this year... Just watch and see.... Look at our DL the last few years... and when Vic did well.. I mean how good is a Cake with no sugar in it ??  You have to have all the ingredeance to make a Cake.. So as to having a SB contender team in the NFL.   After what I will call the best Off season since I've been a fan ,, and that was in 1972.. So in the 47 years I've been a fan,, This Draft and FA pick ups would be #1 ... I kid thee not.  :munch:

Sure , if you were on here when we drafted JJ,, you all know I was his biggest fan and could not believe we got him.. But ,, I'm talking about a draft as a whole.. I think this one is as good as we have ever had.. But sure.. only time will tell.

What help did they get Vic he’s never had before? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

What help did they get Vic he’s never had before? 

    DE Cominsky ,  DE Larkin, DE Miles, And two great O# lineman ,,  yes,, the OL man will help keep the O# on the field longer and the D# off the field more.. That helps our DL more than anything else.. A great O# is your best D#,, A Quote I say all the time on these boards.. Can't stress it enough... Truth !  And I didn't even mention all the DBs that will also play a big part of our DL being better.. If the opposing QB can't get a WR open because of our shut down DBs.. Then the DEs have more time to get to the QB. Sacks man sacks..It's not just one player,, it's a team effort for all players,, Not just Vic. When you see him play a lot better this year with the talent added this off season ,, then you'll know what I'm talking about. 

  We were pitiful last year.. But I give that credit to us having totally the Wrong OC,, That busted our team from the get go... Even with all the great moves we've had this off season. If we had not changed and gotten the right OC,, We would still end up this year at the bottom of the division.. But , thank goodness Blank saw the problem and turned this thing around...  We are headed in the right direction.. I've never seen this team be like ,,, NO hope for next year to... like ... Playoff bound with the hammer down... !!  I feel really good about this team now that we have the right Coaches. Blank , TD,, Quinn are all tops... But your only as srong as your weakest link,, And that was our HC last year, But now we have that fixed also..  We Will Rock the league in 2019!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...