Let's take a look at our DL, shall we?

We have Grady in a contractual year on a tag. We have a bunch of cast offs around him with a question mark in Senat. We have a "No Show" (literally) Vic Beasley with a huge question mark Takk as book ends. Then we have some rookies sprinkled in. This is what I see. What do you guys see?

Two guys on contract years with Takk looking to develop farther? Looks like a good mix to me.

Also you forgot very serviceable Clayborn, Jack Crawford, Michael Bennet, bargain bin/only upside Hageman.

It's a decent rotation of guys there. Losing Means stinks, but I think this crew will have a good season.

12 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t even want to start

Take a look at this piece:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/12/13/18129481/nfl-defensive-lines-ranked-rams-aaron-donald-ravens-saints

Need to pour resources into fixing this thing

Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals, Oakland Raiders, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers, New York Giants, New York Jets

There are plenty of teams that need put resources into their defensive line this offseason. The Atlanta Falcons (Grady Jarrett), San Francisco 49ers (DeForest Buckner), and Oakland Raiders (Maurice Hurst) all have young players budding into legitimate stars, but the rest of their defensive line is in poor shape.

The Falcons specifically have to be upset with their current defensive line situation. Vic Beasley registered 15.5 sacks in 2016, but he has just nine sacks in 27 games over the past two seasons. He’s gone from a player that could get sacks in bunches to someone who offers very little on a down to down basis. With a cap hit of $12.8 million in 2019, his time with the Falcons could be coming to an end anyway

15 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/12/13/18129481/nfl-defensive-lines-ranked-rams-aaron-donald-ravens-saints

Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals, Oakland Raiders, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers, New York Giants, New York Jets

There are plenty of teams that need put resources into their defensive line this offseason. The Atlanta Falcons (Grady Jarrett), San Francisco 49ers (DeForest Buckner), and Oakland Raiders (Maurice Hurst) all have young players budding into legitimate stars, but the rest of their defensive line is in poor shape.

The Falcons specifically have to be upset with their current defensive line situation. Vic Beasley registered 15.5 sacks in 2016, but he has just nine sacks in 27 games over the past two seasons. He’s gone from a player that could get sacks in bunches to someone who offers very little on a down to down basis. With a cap hit of $12.8 million in 2019, his time with the Falcons could be coming to an end anyway

The crazy thing is that he listed the 49ers, who picked a DL in the first round for 3 years straight I think. Two of them in the top 7. 

15 minutes ago, red falcon said:

I see a healthy defense.  Healthy secondary will help the defensive line and pass rush. Plus debo is back.

Dink and dunks killed us last year plus linebackers seemed as if they never played before or didnt pay attention during meetings.

Time will tell.

Dink and dunks are the weakness in this defense by default

I just have an issue with most of the D line on contract years. Like this next offseason will be telling. 

Beasley 

Grady

Davidson

Clayborn

Crawford

Hageman

Means

Bennett 

ARE ALL ON THEIR LAST YEAR OF CONTRACT. 

what exactly are we doing here? Not to mention we have to find some type of way to sign D.Jones and Neal. I know most likely Grady or Beasley if not both will be extended however at this time they are not and that’s all I can go on. 

Wouldn't shock me next year to see a same type of draft day move (two first rounders) for Defensive players next season. 

58 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

And it’s the 4th most expensive DL in football

29 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

I just have an issue with most of the D line on contract years. Like this next offseason will be telling. 

Beasley 

Grady

Davidson

Clayborn

Crawford

Hageman

Means

Bennett 

ARE ALL ON THEIR LAST YEAR OF CONTRACT. 

what exactly are we doing here? Not to mention we have to find some type of way to sign D.Jones and Neal. I know most likely Grady or Beasley if not both will be extended however at this time they are not and that’s all I can go on. 

Wouldn't shock me next year to see a same type of draft day move (two first rounders) for Defensive players next season. 

Most are on their only year of the contract 

51 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Dink and dunks are the weakness in this defense by default

I definitely agree. I just know with jones kneal and rico they will be covered better than last year. Cover 1 should be sprinkled in more as well. Last year i think Manuel cover 3 all day and lets hope for the best.

Edited by red falcon

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

We have Grady in a contractual year on a tag. We have a bunch of cast offs around him with a question mark in Senat. We have a "No Show" (literally) Vic Beasley with a huge question mark Takk as book ends. Then we have some rookies sprinkled in. This is what I see. What do you guys see?

agree folks so excited to get clayborn back what a joke, D-Line as a whole is a weakness

A top 5 DT in the league, 3 former 1st round picks at DE (all with at least moderate production in the last few years), one of the better rotational interior pass rushers in the league (Crawford), a pretty good run stopper (Davison) and some intriguing mid round developmental guys who could be anything (Senat, Hageman & Cominsky). 

I'd love another edge rusher (or 2) but there are plenty of worse lines in the league.

I've been talking about our D-Line for so long it's truly frustrating. 

We use our limited resources in FA on O-Line, which was a concern but not nearly as concerning as our bottom ranked D-Line that struggles vs the run and getting pressure on the QB. Our offense was top 10 already even with a patchwork O-Line. We have a top QB and receiving corp which masks the middle of the road O-Line. We didn't need to spend our very limited cash on O-Line help. 

That position is made exponentially more pertinent when you consider we were targeting O-Line in the draft. Would have made so much more sense to go after at least one of the many top D-Lineman in this unusually deep draft after investing in O-line in FA. But to spend all our premium resources on 1 position group that was not our biggest weakness is hard for me to understand. 

Again, I might be wrong, but I feel like we're going to regret passing on the opportunity to draft one of these top D-Lineman. Wilkins and Oliver were right there within reach via trade but we went with O-Line in the first. If that wasn't enough we traded our 2nd and 3rd for another O-Lineman. It just wasn't a good use of resources. 

Now the players we drafted might turn out to be very good, but the Offense will need the Defense to stop the opponents in order to get back on the field. The question is will we be able to do that enough? 

11 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

A top 5 DT in the league, 3 former 1st round picks at DE (all with at least moderate production in the last few years), one of the better rotational interior pass rushers in the league (Crawford), a pretty good run stopper (Davison) and some intriguing mid round developmental guys who could be anything (Senat, Hageman & Cominsky). 

I'd love another edge rusher (or 2) but there are plenty of worse lines in the league.

You're using theory. Based on metrics, there aren't many worse D-Lines in the league.

Adding Davison, a 30 year old Clayborn, a guy that hasn't played in 3 years in Hageman and Cominsky wont change that. 

I was hoping we would pick a real run stopper in the draft which we did not, but the real positive in all of this is Dan Quinn taking over as DC. What was missing last year even before the injuries was fire and urgency. Those things will return this year I believe. DQ is going to simplify things and we're going to see a unit firing off the ball and playing with attitude.