Qualities Of A Great Center

Question for the board cause I honestly don’t know:

Center is, in my opinion, the most valuable piece along the offensive line.  It’s also a perplexing one to scout.   Few pure centers like Bradbury or Mack come around in the draft.  Usually they are converted guards it seems.

So my question is this: what attributes make for an elite Center?  And why isn’t there more of a premium on the position?

Honestly, above all else centers need to be smart and must be able to lead other men.  They are the ones making the pre snap reads, diagnosing what the defense is doing, adjusting accordingly.  It's critical and why some just can't hack it.  I don't think centers need to be physically dominating in either aspect of the blocking game, just a jack of all trades master of none, extremely smart, extremely savvy, captain of a guy who is willing to step up and be the leader of the line.  Of course agility helps to come out of the snap into position, strength to get a push while coming out of the snap position, etc. but seems, at least to me, above all else they need to be smart and a leader.

As for why there isn't more of a premium, I have no clue, because we have seen first hand what Alex Mack has done for our line.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Honestly, above all else centers need to be smart and must be able to lead other men.  They are the ones making the pre snap reads, diagnosing what the defense is doing, adjusting accordingly.  It's critical and why some just can't hack it.  I don't think centers need to be physically dominating in either aspect of the blocking game, just a jack of all trades master of none, extremely smart, extremely savvy, captain of a guy who is willing to step up and be the leader of the line.  Of course agility helps to come out of the snap into position, strength to get a push while coming out of the snap position, etc. but seems, at least to me, above all else they need to be smart and a leader.

As for why there isn't more of a premium, I have no clue, because we have seen first hand what Alex Mack has done for our line.

Good info.  Thanks, brother.

So it sounds like they need to have at least 90% of the following:

- 90% of a Tackles agility

-  90% of a Guards strength

-  90% of a QB’s mind (maybe 100% here)

No wonder they are tough to find.

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good info.  Thanks, brother.

So it sounds like they need to have at least 90% of the following:

- 90% of a Tackles agility

-  90% of a Guards strength

-  90% of a QB’s mind (maybe 100% here)

No wonder they are tough to find.

Honestly, I would say you find a guard (agility, quickness, doesn't have to throw up 40 reps on the bench), a technician, mix in the brain of a franchise qb, a true franchise qb not like freaking Marcus Mariota, and you have an outstanding center.  He will know where to be, and how to line up the guys next to him to be in the position for optimal effect.  The lines will move in harmony.  The offense goes.

As you mentioned, centers are hugely important and critical.  I have been thinking and I still can't come up with a good reason there isn't more of a premium on them or they get the huge contracts that tackles get.

Athell is.100% right. I would only add that physically the should have a better anchor than tge average OG. My coach used to say you have to sit in the bucket, which was his way of saying get lower. I tried moving from LT to center after ours got hurt, but I.was.just too tall to anchor low enough.

As a side not Harlow was drafted because he had a crazy high wonderlic, despite his lack of strength to play center. 

All of the above is true.

From seeing people play guard and center, the physical side of it is very similar.

It is the mental side of it that makes a big difference.

Just to add - snapping the ball is a big deal. You have to do it perfectly and consistently. You have to do it while not focusing on it - you need to have your eyes forward and you need to get your hands straight back up. Some people just can't do it. Guards can afford to have their focus 100% on what is in front of them and bring their hands up more easily.

Edited by AustFalcon

Intelligence, awareness, leadership are all intangible qualities the best centers have. Then you have the physical, got to have good leg drive, be quick off the ball, quick enough to scoop a gap defender in pass protection, pick any defender blitzing or stunting, mobile to get to second level on LBs and other defenders.

5 hours ago, athell said:

Honestly, I would say you find a guard (agility, quickness, doesn't have to throw up 40 reps on the bench), a technician, mix in the brain of a franchise qb, a true franchise qb not like freaking Marcus Mariota, and you have an outstanding center.  He will know where to be, and how to line up the guys next to him to be in the position for optimal effect.  The lines will move in harmony.  The offense goes.

As you mentioned, centers are hugely important and critical.  I have been thinking and I still can't come up with a good reason there isn't more of a premium on them or they get the huge contracts that tackles get.

Another question: just how important is it that the cente & qb basically share a brain?  Is it akin to pitcher/catcher relationship?

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

No, it’s worse.  He asked how things were at Pelican Landing Resort which is literally a mile away.  

Spooks everywhere

My joke has run its course...its been a fun 2 days...

You asked me to send you a plate...I asked you were you still at Pelican Bay. 

Thats a prison....I didn't know what you were talking about..lol....I just ran with it .

:lol::lol:

Malchore laid down the joke about the cookies to keep you going...

That was good...searching for my next mark. .lol

21 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Thats a prison....I didn't know what you were talking about..lol....I just ran with it .

ROH, Are you saying 2012 is too easy a mark and you need something a little more challenging?

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

This is literally a mile away.  You scared me with your powers...

325ku0.jpg