Falconsfan567

Nationals at Braves

273 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I still have never quite been sold on Johan Camargo as a long-term starter. Folks look and see what he's done in his 2 years in the majors but forget he was only a .278/.333/.372 (.705) hitter in the minors in over 2000 career PA. But he's been a .272/.333/.438 (.771) hitter in the majors. He had a grand total of 15 minor league homeruns. He's already hit 25 in the majors. Guys don't just get to the majors and all of a sudden start hitting for power that they never displayed in the minors. Baseball doesn't work like that.

Also, he's an extremely poor hitter left-handed and that was the case even last year which is why I wasn't totally against the Mike Moustakas rumors.

I'm pretty sure that actually happens a lot.

Drew4719 likes this

7 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

There are exceptions to every rule though. If baseball constantly worked like that than players that were dominant in the minors would never bust in the majors. All we can go on is what he has done in the majors. And he has proven over 2 years if he gets constant ABs he produces 

You're right. There are some exceptions. But I don't think Camargo has enough MLB experience yet to say that he is one of those exceptions. Also, as I pointed out, he's terrible against RHP and has been the entire time.

• vs. RHP - .259/.324/.394 (.717)
  • vs. LHP - .301/.353/.541 (.894)

That's another reason I'm not sold on him yet as an everyday player. There's far more RHP than their are LHP in baseball. I fear Ozzie is trending towards the same career path.

• vs. RHP - .240/.300/.408 (708)
  • vs. LHP - .339/.370/.549 (.919)

IMO you cannot be an everyday player if you can't hit both LHP and RHP. Johan Camargo at this point is a platoon player. Same with Ozzie. They should both give up left-handed for a while and see how it goes.

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You're right. There are some exceptions. But I don't think Camargo has enough MLB experience yet to say that he is one of those exceptions. Also, as I pointed out, he's terrible against RHP and has been the entire time.

• vs. RHP - .259/.324/.394 (.717)
  • vs. LHP - .301/.353/.541 (.894)

That's another reason I'm not sold on him yet as an everyday player. There's far more RHP than their are LHP in baseball. I fear Ozzie is trending towards the same career path.

• vs. RHP - .240/.300/.408 (708)
  • vs. LHP - .339/.370/.549 (.919)

IMO you cannot be an everyday player if you can't hit both LHP and RHP. Johan Camargo at this point is a platoon player. Same with Ozzie. They should both give up left-handed for a while and see how it goes.

I agree both should just try hitting right handed. Maybe both should try it in the Arizona Fall League and see how it goes. Dont know if the Braves feel the same way though 

21 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I totally agree with you. Some guys can come off the bench and hit really well, Charlie is a great example. Other guys need the day in and day out ABs.

It's neither a good or bad thing, it's just the way a guy plays. It is up to the coaches to play to the players strengths, if they continually put a player in a position where they he won't succeed, that is on the coaches, not the player.

I agree totally. Coaches have to put players in positions to succeed. I am really impressed with Charlie. He can not play for a week and come off the bench and just light it up

18 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Lol! Snit better not even consider ender over Camargo! That would be absolutely foolhardy!

Yep. Joyce would go down before Camargo. Riley ain't going nowhere.

It could also be that Camargo isn't adjusting to the league yet. He got by far the most ABs of his career last year and everyone has a lot of tape now. They may have a blueprint he hasn't figured out yet.

19 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

It could also be that Camargo isn't adjusting to the league yet. He got by far the most ABs of his career last year and everyone has a lot of tape now. They may have a blueprint he hasn't figured out yet.

I'd still have him as an option to trade to strengthen our pen...

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

It is nice debating on this situation rather than discussing why Emilio Bonifacio or Jose Costanza are on the roster. 

We can always talk about how I'm hoping Minter shaves his stupid beard and finds himself in Gwinnett...lol

36 minutes ago, capologist said:

We can always talk about how I'm hoping Minter shaves his stupid beard and finds himself in Gwinnett...lol

Still got the beard but Minter has 10 Ks in 5.1 scoreless innings at AAA. Hes only walked 2. Reports are that he finally found a better feel for his changeup.

oztin and youngbloodz like this

15 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Still got the beard but Minter has 10 Ks in 5.1 scoreless innings at AAA. Hes only walked 2. Reports are that he finally found a better feel for his changeup.

2 walks in 5 innings though, still not impressive there.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

It is nice debating on this situation rather than discussing why Emilio Bonifacio or Jose Costanza are on the roster. 

Lol. The Glory Days. 

20 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

MLB Network is talking about the Braves as the most impressive team in the NL right now. They said add Kimbrel and it's a World Series team. 

Yes add him and we possibly have something special for this season 

28 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Braves team ERA is down to 4.09, that's 12th best in baseball. The starters ERA is now 3.88, 10th best.

Braves bullpen ERA is 3rd best in the NL over the last 2 weeks.

Falconsfan567 likes this

58 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

MLB Network is talking about the Braves as the most impressive team in the NL right now. They said add Kimbrel and it's a World Series team. 

We all know it, let's see if our FO cares.

If the Nats continue to free fall they have to trade Rendon. They already tried that with Harper last year and ended up with 1 draft pick instead of a couple of prospects a lot closer to MLB.

Key to this game is make Strasburg work and let the heat wear him down. Get into the Nats pen and its game on.