Monoxide

Can we re-sign Austin Hooper?

Do we lock up Hooper?   75 members have voted

1. 1. Do we lock up Hooper?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

96 posts in this topic

I’ve said since last year that there isn’t a Falcon who is more underrated. An above average blocker according to PFF, a solid athlete, and his hands were shockingly consistent last year (caught 81% of what was thrown to him which led the league).

Grady and Julio will probably get paid this offseason. Deion and De’Vondre are free agents next year along with Hooper. Keanu will be a FA in 2020. Matt Ryan is making 30,000,000 a year (which he deserves every penny by the way).

These are obviously good problems to have, but should I hold off on a Hooper jersey just yet, or do you think he’s a priority for the front office? I know Matt Ryan is hoping for the latter. 

Posted (edited)

Hope so, but out of the 3 Debo is probably going to be the priority and Campbell does good work for us. Can't keep everybody unfortunately.

Though they might let Saubert and whoever the other TE is go, before they just let Hoop walk.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite
PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, KCFalcon22 said:

I don’t think we keep Campbell, I think we find his replacement.  I would love to keep Hooper bc I think our offense could be the same as when we had Roddy, Julio, and Tony aka Julio, Calvin, Hooper.  Thoughts???  

Thats my thinking too....I think we keep Hoop and let Campbell walk

Good TEs are hard to find.

Hooper isn't great but he is good and has proven to be reliable.

He shouldn't break the bank but I wouldn't expect a long term contract either.

37 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Can't keep everyone.

With that being said, tight ends typically aren’t on the expensive side.

1 minute ago, quotemokc said:

Good TEs are hard to find.

Hooper isn't great but he is good and has proven to be reliable.

He shouldn't break the bank but I wouldn't expect a long term contract either.

I agree with most of this. However, your 4th point contradicts everything the way I’m reading it.

1: Good tight ends are hard to find

2: Hooper is a good tight end

3: He shouldn’t break the bank

4: Therefore, a long term contract isn’t to be expected 

3 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

I agree with most of this. However, your 4th point contradicts everything the way I’m reading it.

I don't expect a long term contract because unless he balls out this year, he will probably bank on himself getting an even better 3rd contract.

15 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

Since Hooper isn’t putting up lofty receiving stats TE, I don’t anticipate him gett8ng the same kind of money some of the TEs catching 1200 yards and 10 TDs will get.

I do believe he’s a player we have to resign though.

4 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

I don't expect a long term contract because unless he balls out this year, he will probably bank on himself getting an even better 3rd contract.

I see! Gotcha

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Since Hooper isn’t a loft receiving stats TE, I don’t anticipate him gett8ng the same kind of money some of the TEs catching 1200 yards and 10 TDs will get.

I do believe he’s me we have to resign though.

While he certainly won’t put up Kelce numbers, I think 75/750/7 isn’t out of the equation with Koetter and Mularkey coming in. Even still, Zach Ertz is a top 5 tight end easily and signed a 5 year/42.5 million dollar deal. So even if we signed Hooper to 5 years/35 million, that’s certainly not breaking the bank.

That pro bowl nod (even as an alternate) is going to make it hard. I don't really have a grasp on the tightend market but if he makes another one, I could see him requiring double digits. I could be wrong, like I said, I don't know what the market is currently. 

PokerSteve likes this

8 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

I see! Gotcha

While he certainly won’t put up Kelce numbers, I think 75/750/7 isn’t out of the equation with Koetter and Mularkey coming in. Even still, Zach Ertz is a top 5 tight end easily and signed a 5 year/42.5 million dollar deal. So even if we signed Hooper to 5 years/35 million, that’s certainly not breaking the bank.

Yep, that’s where I see him. So where around 750 yards and 6 TDs this year.  I thought he would turn into more of a TD machine than he has, but I wonder if the issues we’ve had on OL have forced him to block a little more than usual.

egoprime II and PokerSteve like this

46 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

What? That’s exactly what he said only without the stupid breakdown. 

As Matt enters his twilight years I very seriously doubt we let many offensive weapons go. Especially a tight end which are ridiculously slow to develop in the NFL.

With tight ends being relatively cheap and taking years to develop......Hooper is gonna be here. No other plan makes sense really 

Falcons Fan MVP and NeonDeion like this

1 hour ago, Monoxide said:

I suspect 8-10 mill avg is what he gets with another PB.  Cameron Brate got 6 years and 42 mill.  Austin should  get 5 years 45-50 mill.  

I’d sure love to keep him.  All the work he & Ryan put in together during offseason isn’t easily replaced

1 hour ago, Monoxide said:

It’s getting him signed with all these other contracts.  Dimitroff will earn his keep the next 12 months.

Falcons cap situation has some real challenges ahead

The team is about to find out that you can’t keep everybody.

Outside factors

In the NFL, you’re only the highest-paid player for so long. Agents piggy back off previous deals to get their guys the biggest compensation package they can. For Grady Jarrett, his agent is likely looking to beat the Fletcher Cox deal of last year (six years, $102.6 million) and maybe even approach Aaron Donald numbers.

For Deion Jones, his agent will undoubtedly look at the recent C.J. Mosley deal as the starting point for negotiations (five years, $85 million with $51 million guaranteed). Keanu Neal is likely going to want the Landon Collins contract (six years, $84 million with $44.5 million guaranteed). The numbers for tight ends also appear to be escalating, which will only drive the price tag for Austin Hooper up. On top of all that, both Hooperand Jones are playing in the last year of their rookie deals. The Falcons probably don’t want to go into the 2020 offseason having to negotiate with two players at once. I’d expect Deion to get a contract sometime during the 2019 season.

Options in 2020 and beyond

Right now, the Falcons have about $13 million in cap space (come June 1) and will need about $8 million to sign their draft class. Getting Grady signed to a long-term deal could free up some space this year, but the reality is 2020 is going to be challenging.

Using Overthecap.com, the projected salary cap in 2020 will be $200 million. Right now, the Falcons only have 33 players under contract. To get to the 53, that means getting 20 more guys signed.

As it stands today, they will have just under $42 million for 2020. Assuming an average of just $1 million per player, that wipes out $20 million from the 2020 cap, and that’s without Grady JarrettDeion Jones and Austin Hooper on the list. If the Jarrett deal is anything like the Fletcher Cox deal, his 2020 cap hit could be $20 million by itself.

That said, there are some options - but they’re painful ones. Guys like Alex Mack ($8 million cap savings), Mohamed Sanu ($6.5 million cap savings) and Desmond Trufant ($4.95 million cap savings) are all very possible options to be cut to make room for the forthcoming big contracts. The team could also look to convert Matt Ryan’s salary to a bonus again to free up space ( up to $15 million in 2020) and could do the same with Jake Matthews (up to $7 million in 2020). However, those conversions also push significantly higher cap hits into 2021 and beyond and could just be delaying some painful decisions.

Reality

It’s not all doom and gloom. The team has a lot of options they can pursue to keep some of their star players here for years to come. Yet, with new mega-deals being announced almost daily, the team may be forced into watching some of their homegrown talent walk out the door.

The situation isn’t dire, but it is definitely challenging. The success of recent draft classes has put the team in a position where keeping everyone just isn’t possible. The decision now, then, is who to keep.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

12 minutes ago, tonatl07 said:

What? That’s exactly what he said only without the stupid breakdown. 

It’s a non-sequitur. The first 3 points are all arguments for a long term deal, but the 4th point strays away from that premise. No need to escalate it.

Posted (edited)

Campbell, Vic, Mack, Free, Sanu, Tru, Schaub gone within 1-3 years, probably some of the pricy OL too 

should be re-signed/extended: Julio, Grady, Debo, Neal, Hooper 

We are so stacked this year though it’s time to win a title. Don’t think the roster will get better than this 

Edited by NeonDeion
JeffAtl and egoprime II like this

we can if he isn't looking for top money. maybe long term 5yr 30 mil/ish with some incentives that puts him in the neighborhood of top 10 money. if he is looking for solid top ten money then probably have to pass.

27 minutes ago, birdz4i said:

we can if he isn't looking for top money. maybe long term 5yr 30 mil/ish with some incentives that puts him in the neighborhood of top 10 money. if he is looking for solid top ten money then probably have to pass.

No way he signs for 6 mill avg.  the reality of the situation is he will have another very good season and warrant top 5 at his position money.  5 years, 45-50 mill is the expectation IMO