gazoo

My 2019 Breakout Defensive Player for Falcons- Foye Oluokun

118 posts in this topic

LB Foye Oluokun is going to prove to be an absolute steal for a 6th round pick in 2018. Coming out of Yale, this raw, inexperienced, but Uber athletic LB, appeared to be a project type player. Many here were complaining he was a wasted pick strictly for special Teams. He is going to be our starting weakside LB this year and after another training camp he may explode. He has the athleticism, measurables and skill set to be an elite LB. Moreover, no way he plays so well last year without high level intelligence and instincts. Foye’s great play toward end of season was a main reason our defense started bouncing back after all the injuries.

Look at his measurables:

HEIGHT: 6-foot-2 

WEIGHT: 230 pounds 

ARM LENGTH: 33-7/8 inches 

40-YARD DASH: 4.48 ( did any LB run faster at combine? This is WR speed)

BENCH PRESS: 18 (pro day) 

VERTICAL: 37 inches (pro day- would have been 6th at combine for LBs)

BROAD JUMP: 7 feet, 3 inches (pro day- would have been tied for 4th at combine)

20-YARD SHUTTLE: 4.12 seconds (showing his quickness and change of direction would have been 2nd with linebackers only behind Clemson's Dorian O'Daniel (4.07). 

But when we lost Deion Jones, Foye ended up leading the team in tackles over the rest of the season. You could see his explosive power on some of his tackles. He would blow ball carriers up when he had a bead on them.

He also proved to be really good in coverage. 6’2” and 34” arms is elite length that DQ loves. Just look at this incredible play, a LB isn’t supposed to be able to run with Jimmy Graham 50 yards down field and do this. Alford would have choked and gotten flagged for PI, but Foye tracked the ball and made a play on it, preventing a TD. 

foyecovclose.gif

Given LB wasn't addressed in the draft, I think the staff have confidence in Foye. He got valuable reps last year. He is athletic and intelligent, being out on the field is just what he needed. Things will slow down a lot for him this year and with better health around him, I expect him to be a sold starter on our D.

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

He will look a lot better with our starters around him. Im glad they started giving him playing time. They gave duke more opportunities than i thought they would.

The question is whether he could play more in the box at SLB to replace Campbell next year

21 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I think he already started breaking out last year. He was our best linebacker while Debo was out.  But I agree...Big year in store for Foye.

He was the 2nd fastest Falcons player on radar last year.  Nearly 22 mph if I remember properly

czcvwxd716fioh1iywkq.jpg

And this is speed while in pads. Can you imagine watching Foye chase down from behind players with elite speed like Coleman and Julio?

Falconsin2012 and PokerSteve like this

51 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The question is whether he could play more in the box at SLB to replace Campbell next year

No reason to for him yo replace Dre at SLB. He has a future at WLB and as a sub LB in Nickel. Dre is very solid but Foye has atheltic ability that could make him special. 

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

No reason to for him yo replace Dre at SLB. He has a future at WLB and as a sub LB in Nickel. Dre is very solid but Foye has atheltic ability that could make him special. 

I was assuming we can’t afford to keep Dre

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I was assuming we can’t afford to keep Dre

Im with ya. I dont know what his price tag will be. Definitely not as cheap as Ishmael but I dont think he is more than a 4-6 mill a year guy max. Id like yo keep him as he has good chemistry but we could use another playmaker next to Debo. 

Foye just screams natural WLB to me when I watch him. Fluid, quick, speedy....good coverage guy. Id love if he earns the nickel Job to start season. 

I loved the Foye pick at the time (those LB/S hybrids are what NFL execs are looking for) and I loved the potential I saw last year. That said unless Debo or Dre go down, there's not going to be a huge amount of snaps available. In fact if we are lucky with injuries he probably plays less snaps than last year given that we have 3 LB's on the field less than 30% of the time (league average for base defenses actually fell below 25% last year). 

I think we let Dre walk at the end of this year and Foye steps up next to Debo. If all goes to plan 2020 will likely be his breakout year.

Schwarzwald, Tim Mazetti and gazoo like this

12 hours ago, Jesus said:

He handled that Jimmy Graham push off well by sticking with him and turning his head around to make the play.

Wonder IF that will be reviewed as Pass interference this year. 

I cant wait for the insanity to commence! :rolleyes:

Jesus likes this

17 hours ago, gazoo said:

This year, he’s my pick to bust out to an entirely different level.

Uh oh, Kiss of death....See Eric Saubert.

j/k:)

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Kiss of death....See Eric Saubert.

j/k:)

No you’re not! 

Vandy likes this

13 hours ago, AustFalcon said:

Given LB wasn't addressed in the draft, I think the staff have confidence in Foye. He got valuable reps last year. He is athletic and intelligent, being out on the field is just what he needed. Things will slow down a lot for him this year and with better health around him, I expect him to be a sold starter on our D.

It was already reported we tried to trade up for a LB. Can't stand this line of thinking.

9 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

It was already reported we tried to trade up for a LB. Can't stand this line of thinking.

I don’t think he is bashing the draft.  Just saying we ultimately were not able to add to our LB corp in the draft.  Seems like a positive post overall.

Schwarzwald and Tim Mazetti like this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t think he is bashing the draft.  Just saying we ultimately were not able to add to our LB corp in the draft.  Seems like a positive post overall.

I hate the "because we didn't draft this position it must mean we didn't want it".

That is the stupid part. Because we didn't draft it does not mean we didn't want it. We may of just not had our guy fall to us. Which is true because we tried to trade up for Quinnen Williams little brother the LB but couldn't.

athell and Falconsin2012 like this

11 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

We considered it. Just like considered trading up for EO or even Wilkins, but Falcons stayed of course.

I think you could argue LB or DL were worthy of a 1st rounder but Atlanta just didn't want to waste resources moving up from their pick.

Regarding Foye's future, I'm not sure how he fits in other than in Nickel D or Base at WLB. He came into the league just beefing up to play LB and to play strongside would be a waste or liability. Campbell is better suited there as they converted him into more of a tweener pass rusher; although he couldn't when injuries struck last year.

If Campbell doesn't come back, we'll simply look for another SLB. I think Foye has the obvious inside edge on WLB.

Devin Bush at WLB or Wilkins/EO on a DL with Grady would've been sweet all the same. I like fixing the Levitre/RG mess the last 2 years tho. Had to happen.

Front 7 on Defense gets a patch job for a year instead. :shrug:

Falconsin2012 and PokerSteve like this

8 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I hate the "because we didn't draft this position it must mean we didn't want it".

That is the stupid part. Because we didn't draft it does not mean we didn't want it. We may of just not had our guy fall to us. Which is true because we tried to trade up for Quinnen Williams little brother the LB but couldn't.

I agree

Yo_Lover likes this