Ovie_Lover

Let's clear up something about the draft.

142 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, falconidae said:

You put Carpenter instead of Brown as a starter to make the numbers look worse. Think it's obvious they expect Brown to start. And, they may not have cut Wes because they wanted to see how the draft shook out.

Actual reserves cap hits for this year:

Carpenter: 2.9

Ty 3.25

Wes 2

Gono .5 mil

Wetzel  .7 

That 9.35 mil, that's not 15 mil, swap Brown for Carpenter, it's still only 10.75. I'm looking at OTC. If I missed something, please point it out to me, don't see 15 mil.

Carpenter is going to start at LG IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Carpenter is going to start at RG IMO

Carpenter is a LG and Lindstrom is a RG. It would make no sense to switch them just for the sake of doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was from another thread.  Not sure if it’s 100% accurate or not.  But it’s from TD’s post draft interview

Items from the discussion with Dimitroff:

  • Sounds like Carpenter will start, with Lindstrom/Brown competing for the remaining spot at guard.
  • McGary/Sambrailo will compete for starting RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

Carpenter is going to start at LG IMO

So were gonna be paying Brown $6M + to be a back-up OG. SMH if that turns out to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vandy said:

So were gonna be paying Brown $6M + to be a back-up OG. SMH

Watch Wes win the LG spot...I’d literally laugh my *** off

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it but ever since the wtf is a can't remember the dt's name , he went to the raiders, but ever since then we seem to never select who the consensus is. 

That has turned out pretty good.

The Neal pick especially was a head scratcher, but in hindsight way better than Lawson.  We can get him now y'all!

Anyway I have seen that the guys we take in the first 2 rds since the pj and Moore and spoon it seems we are taking the sure things not the boom or bust players. 

We swing in the later rounds and that has proved to be a better strategy for us. I hope we continue with that formula.

We have truly drafted well the last few years, the only questionable pick has been Beasley but the higher the pick the more teams get locked into the player we "should" draft. 

I still think Beasley can, he has done it. Players like that tend to show up again. Kerney, Brees, plenty others. I just hope it is with us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Carpenter is going to start at LG IMO

And I think they expect Brown to start because they paid him like a starter. Still only 10 mil in back ups, not 15, could easily be down to 7 mil by end of training camp.

3+ mil can be gone this year, 3.25 next year, 2.9 the next. Looks like they have depth and flexibility on the Oline.

Falcons are obviously banking on the return to health by key members of the defense, progression by Kazee, Foye and Senat, a deeper rotation on the Dline, plus DQ's coaching to make a difference on that side of the ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

And I think they expect Brown to start because they paid him like a starter. Still only 10 mil in back ups, not 15, could easily be down to 7 mil by end of training camp.

3+ mil can be gone this year, 3.25 next year, 2.9 the next. Looks like they have depth and flexibility on the Oline.

Falcons are obviously banking on the return to health by key members of the defense, progression by Kazee, Foye and Senat, a deeper rotation on the Dline, plus DQ's coaching to make a difference on that side of the ball.

 

Brown is taking 1st team reps in OTA’s so you may be right

falconidae likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Vandy said:

Scenario planning.

I just disagree with the all-in-or nothing approach of fixing OG mentality. Of course, I’m also one of the few here who didn’t think Wes was so terrible.

Anyway, like I said earlier, it looks dumb, especially coming off a bottom 5 season defensively. 

Hope TD/Quinn et al end up making me look like the dummy. :ninja:

Would love to have seen Wilkins drop one more slot and see who they would have picked. I think the draft would have been the same except for Wilkins at 14 instead of Lindstrum. 

I think Wilkins was their target, but they felt that their were enough really good prospects that they didn't need to trade up to get him. We'll never know, because they aren't going to admit that Lindstrum was their second choice.

Wilkins & McGary would have been nice, that might have been their ideal first round.

Just don't feel as bad as you do about the whole offseason. They set it up so they weren't forced to draft any one player- think there's  more quality depth on both lines than at the end of last season.  May have spent a little too much money on OLine, but it's not like they signed Matt Kalil to a 50 mil contract.   Reality is, with a 30 mil QB and a soon to be 20 mil WR, you have to spend the money on that side of the ball and draft for the defense. Almost worked in 2016, if they finally push over the top in 2019, nobody will complain about the money spent on the Oline.

 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falconidae said:

Would love to have seen Wilkins drop one more slot and see who they would have picked. I think the draft would have been the same except for Wilkins at 14 instead of Lindstrum. 

I think Wilkins was their target, but they felt that their were enough really good prospects that they didn't need to trade up to get him. We'll never know, because they aren't going to admit that Lindstrum was their second choice.

Wilkins & McGary would have been nice, that might have been their ideal first round.

Just don't feel as bad as you do about the whole offseason. They set it up so they weren't forced to draft any one player- think there's  more quality depth on both lines than at the end of last season.  May have spent a little too much money on OLine, but it's not like they signed Matt Kalil to a 50 mil contract.   Reality is, with a 30 mil QB and a soon to be 20 mil WR, you have to spend the money on that side of the ball and draft for the defense. Almost worked in 2016, if they finally push over the top in 2019, nobody will complain about the money spent on the Oline.

 

Even though I don’t agree completely, that’s a quality post. 

I believe it was Wilkins as well. 

Falcons In 2012 and falconidae like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, Yo_Lover said:

I've been seeing some "we only got one good guy out of the draft" bitchy kinda posts.

Yeah, that's normal. The draft is a ******* crapshoot. Look at the Pats 2015 draft. 11 picks, 2 starters (1 left), and only 2 are even on the team (one starter and one backup). 

Ours has 2 starters still with us and one backup. 

No team hits on 3-5 or more picks in the draft like some of y'all wanna think. Get your head out of the sand and actually look at other teams besides just the Falcons. Maybe then you'll realize we aren't as bad as some of you wanna think.

Most good teams have a core in place anyway so it’s gonna be hard to unseat starters like Matt and Julio and because of good starters it’s harder for new players to develop. Practice is fine and dandy but you develop from playing games. Practice may prepare you but actual games makes you better. 

Ovie_Lover and Falcons In 2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Most good teams have a core in place anyway so it’s gonna be hard to unseat starters like Matt and Julio and because of good starters it’s harder for new players to develop. Practice is fine and dandy but you develop from playing games. Practice may prepare you but actual games makes you better. 

Foye is perfect example.  How much better is he now due to his extensive game experience last season 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, falconidae said:

Would love to have seen Wilkins drop one more slot and see who they would have picked. I think the draft would have been the same except for Wilkins at 14 instead of Lindstrum. 

I think Wilkins was their target, but they felt that their were enough really good prospects that they didn't need to trade up to get him. We'll never know, because they aren't going to admit that Lindstrum was their second choice.

Wilkins & McGary would have been nice, that might have been their ideal first round.

Just don't feel as bad as you do about the whole offseason. They set it up so they weren't forced to draft any one player- think there's  more quality depth on both lines than at the end of last season.  May have spent a little too much money on OLine, but it's not like they signed Matt Kalil to a 50 mil contract.   Reality is, with a 30 mil QB and a soon to be 20 mil WR, you have to spend the money on that side of the ball and draft for the defense. Almost worked in 2016, if they finally push over the top in 2019, nobody will complain about the money spent on the Oline.

 

Ok,,we think alike,, I wanted Wilkins more than any player in this draft.. He's going to be a STUD DT that can sack the QB fast and often... Just watch,, I'll pick him right now the win D# Rookie of the year. How I wish we could have gotten that MAN.  on our team.. He'll be the top DT sack leader out of all the DT rookies,, AAMOF,, I think he'll be the top of all DTs regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now