Yo_Lover

Let's clear up something about the draft.

142 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Speaking of Jimmy Moreland, the Skins love him already.  He may be the steal of the draft in the 7th round

 

“Jimmy Moreland, who the Redskins selected this past March, had a big day as well. He recorded the first interception of OTA's, and broke up several plays when challenged one-on-one.

Toward the end of the session, Moreland was lined up on the outside against fellow rookie Kelvin Harmon with no safety help. Gruden verbally challenged Moreland to make a play before the snap, and while Harmon did catch the ball, he was well out of bounds as Moreland broke up the play.

Gruden had plenty to say about Moreland, pleased to see that the rookie stepped up to the challenge.

Jimmy? Jimmy got the first pick of the day today," Gruden said on Moreland. "Figured it would have been him. He's got great ball skills, and he's got great confidence."  

The praise then led to Gruden cracking a joke about Moreland's size, which might have been his first smile of the day. The seventh-rounder is one of the smallest players on the roster, listed at 5'10 and 174 pounds.

"I told him this is his type of day you know?" Gruden joked. "Non-contact, Jimmy, because he is a smaller type guy. I knew he was going to shine today. Just wait, Jimmy, just wait. But he is a great competitor. I love the energy that he brings. When the pads do come on for real, I think he'll be right there in the mix with everybody."

 

My Man 2012, I remember you sure wanted you some Moreland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time will tell. Given the player's available it's entirely possible we could have went in a different direction and end up better in the long run. 

But we didnt. As a matter of fact, I don't even see many folks complaining about the draft anymore. It's definitely more folks that think the draft was awesome.

I've come to have tempered enthusiasm. But still am of the opinion we could have done things differently. Time will tell. 

For now, I'm 110% on board and hoping the picks pan out and make me look like an idiot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

My Man 2012, I remember you sure wanted you some Moreland.

I did.  We will see how it goes.  You can’t teach attitude, dawg or chip.  Guess they are all one in the same but he has it in spades

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

People wanted specific players in a talent poor draft, yet out FO got the most out of it.

Every draft is a crap shoot. You don't know who is going to get hurt or wind up being a bad fit (for whatever reason). I think our fans were spoiled by the 2016 draft. The funny thing about it is that they complained about it at the time. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the Lindstrom pick until we also got McGary. The implications got me hyped.

It kills me that NFL front offices spend hundreds of thousands of dollars scouting players, interviewing them, working them out, doing background and credit checks, talking to former teammates, teachers, counselors, and coaches, yet fans think that their familiarity with the players from watching on Saturday afternoons is enough to determine front offices don't worry about winning. I love college football, but I have never watched one player for an entire live college football game. If that's productive use of your time, you might need to step out and enjoy life away from football for awhile.

Don't get me wrong; we have a right to complain and it would be boring if nobody did. And every team whiffs on somebody in every draft. But it's the tone of some of these wannabe GMs' posts that is so annoying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Every draft is a crap shoot. You don't know who is going to get hurt or wind up being a bad fit (for whatever reason). I think our fans were spoiled by the 2016 draft. The funny thing about it is that they complained about it at the time. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the Lindstrom pick until we also got McGary. The implications got me hyped.

It kills me that NFL front offices spend hundreds of thousands of dollars scouting players, interviewing them, working them out, doing background and credit checks, talking to former teammates, teachers, counselors, and coaches, yet fans think that their familiarity with the players from watching on Saturday afternoons is enough to determine front offices don't worry about winning. I love college football, but I have never watched one player for an entire live college football game. If that's productive use of your time, you might need to step out and enjoy life away from football for awhile.

Don't get me wrong; we have a right to complain and it would be boring if nobody did. And every team whiffs on somebody in every draft. But it's the tone of some of these wannabe GMs' posts that is so annoying.

 

Your logic is too sound for me to counter.  But I can still be annoyed about that 3rd pick, dangit...lol.

I don’t care what anyone says, too 100 picks are gold

JayOzOne likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

I've been seeing some "we only got one good guy out of the draft" bitchy kinda posts.

Yeah, that's normal. The draft is a ******* crapshoot. Look at the Pats 2015 draft. 11 picks, 2 starters (1 left), and only 2 are even on the team (one starter and one backup). 

Ours has 2 starters still with us and one backup. 

No team hits on 3-5 or more picks in the draft like some of y'all wanna think. Get your head out of the sand and actually look at other teams besides just the Falcons. Maybe then you'll realize we aren't as bad as some of you wanna think.

Everybody has their own opinion and a right to express it.

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

We usually pick that ONE GUY that I don’t want.

I was getting scared we were going to end up with Greedy Williams in the second round the way he was falling, then we traded up right after Baker went and I just knew I was about to get stuck with the guy I had been talking **** about for weeks lol

Vandy and Knight of God like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dem Birds said:

I was getting scared we were going to end up with Greedy Williams in the second round the way he was falling, then we traded up right after Baker went and I just knew I was about to get stuck with the guy I had been talking **** about for weeks lol

It drives me crazy. It’s happened a lot. Seriously 

Vandy and Dem Birds like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Your logic is too sound for me to counter.  But I can still be annoyed about that 3rd pick.  I don’t care what anyone says, too 100 picks are gold

I'm cool with complaining. If you think your team is perfect, God bless you. But most fans know that their teams can improve and I don't mind them saying it. Personally, it gets old when the same posters create multiple posts instead of putting their thoughts into existing ones about the same thing. At some point, it's just spamming the board. But there's always something to worry/complain about until the last game ends and your team won it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

We usually pick that ONE GUY that I don’t want.

Thats only happened twice since i've been following the draft hardcore.  The 1st one was Matt Ryan and lord was i wrong on that one and am thrilled i was.   The 2nd one was Jamaal Anderson who i hated more than any prospect we have taken in the 1st 5 rounds of any draft we have done.   I loved so many players in that drafts top 10 leading up to that draft and would have been happy with any of them but him and then they did that to me :( 

Now i will say this year that 1 guy i had no interest in was Rashaan Gary although i don't hate him anywhere near as much as i did anderson as a prospect.  I atleast was ok with Gary in the 2nd to 3rd round anderson i didn't want in the 1st 5 rounds if at all lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 11:45 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

Your logic is too sound for me to counter.  But I can still be annoyed about that 3rd pick, dangit...lol.

I don’t care what anyone says, too 100 picks are gold

God I hate this misstated argument.  Take the 6th round pick out altogether for all I care.

We gave up ONE PICK - #79 - to move up from #45 to #31.

ONE PICK

Not TWO!!! <_<

Falcons gave up ONE top 100 pick to have TWO first round picks.  Should also be noted the extra first round pick gives you the 5th yr option on first round drafted player.

ATLskinjob, Beef, JayOzOne and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 7:14 PM, VTCrunkler said:

I just don’t understand what there is for people to complain about. 

I don’t either.   If we went back on TATF and looked at consensus popular picks each year - hells bells - the consensus picks are oftentimes wrong and TD/Quinn/Pioli have done better than TATF collectively.

2008 Consensus pick - Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU

2010 Consensus pick - Sean Weatherspoon, LB - Mizzou

2012 Pick - Peter Konz - Boy TATF loves them some Peter Konz when he was drafted.

2016 Consenus Pick - everyone wanted either Darron Lee, Shaq Lawson or that USC Safety whose name escapes me.

2018 Consensus Pick - Taven Bryan, DT - Florida 

 

Anyone on here who thinks they know more than the guys making the picks - it’s just ignorant.

Even the biggest draftniks here don’t watch enough tape to really know all there is to know about a player.  We don’t know enough about what kind of teammate they are, what kind of character they possess, how they treat others.  To some degree,  all that matters.

We want to maximize the talent but you cannot take stupid risks on guys like Josh Gordon, Tyreek Hill or even some knucklehead like Johnny Manziel.

As all of you know, I put out a lot of mocks, have strong opinions on players and strategy and defend them vigorously.   Having said that,  generally once the draft occurs and the players are putting on the red & black and the Falcon helmet, I will support them, study them, look at what they can do and not what they can’t do and hope for the best!

Every year there are players that YOU LOVE that turn into busts - horrible busts - Gawd Awful.

I remember Falcons drafting Aundray Bruce with #1 overall pick back in the 1980’s and I thought he was gonna be a super stud!   b-b-b-b-b-u-s-t!!!

If you don’t like the draft - my advice is to get over it quickly because - first of all - it’s a sunk cost meaning you cannot change it - second, it may be a lot better than you think - and most important - third - you don’t know near as much as you think you do about these players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally like what they tried to do in the draft and that’s address what they said they would at the end of last season. After yrs of patchworking the offensive line, they addressed it through the draft and got the guys they felt would help what they’re trying to do with the one thing they saw as our biggest weakness.

It was refreshing to see them to do this because it’s (consistent o-line play) been something plaguing this franchise minus a season here or there since the early Vick days and probably even before that.

g-dawg and duckhoa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never going to fix every problem on the team. The draft is fun to watch as we can't control any of it no matter how much some here think they can. I will say for once they are looking to build the O-line. All I can say is about DANG FRIGGING TIME!! If they get that taken care of this year then maybe DL next year.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 7:14 PM, VTCrunkler said:

I just don’t understand what there is for people to complain about. 

The problem is that people had unrealistic expectations we were going to solve both lines, cornerback, running back and linebacker in one draft.  

Sure, you can draft people at those positions, but that doesn't mean you have addressed the issue completely.

I think the FO did a good job on the OL (at least we got players at those positions - time will tell if we got the right ones).  I also believe this draft would have gone a lot differently if Christian Wilkins was available at 14, but that is water under the bridge at this point.

g-dawg and VTCrunkler like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I've really liked about the drafts since DQ got here is that you can see an overall plan. Even if you disagree with the player taken, you can see the reasoning behind the pick. Same with FA. Wasn't always true during the Smith era, much less when the Clampetts ran the team.

This team could be really good this year. Offense could be 2016 level good, defense should have enough talent to complement it. Falcons quietly added quality depth to the Dline, didn't get that one stud pass rushing end or mammoth DT, but brought in some good pieces, up to Quinn to turn them into a force.

Looking forward to the season.

Eazy123, FalconsIn2020 and g-dawg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tmodel66 said:

The problem is that people had unrealistic expectations we were going to solve both lines, cornerback, running back and linebacker in one draft.  

Sure, you can draft people at those positions, but that doesn't mean you have addressed the issue completely.

I think the FO did a good job on the OL (at least we got players at those positions - time will tell if we got the right ones).  I also believe this draft would have gone a lot differently if Christian Wilkins was available at 14, but that is water under the bridge at this point.

Agreed.  We see this all the time in the entire offseason fixes that the armchair GMs put up.

The last two years I have stopped predicting major FA pickups - we are out of cap space and what we have is being hoarded to re-sign our own guys in the coming years.

As our roster sits now, you just cannot address every need with top of the line quality.  We addressed DL this offseason with Tyler Davison and Adrian Clayborn - not ideal but not terrible.

I know that many were frustrated with the 5th yr option of Vic Beasley for $12.8mm but I kind of understand it.  He was our pick and his age says he is in his peak physical years even if his stats don’t back it up.  Justin Houston is better but he is in his decline years.

I believe Falcons want to bridge 2019 and get “their guys” signed like Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones and Keanu Neal before committing anything to an outsider.  Grady’s situation kind of threw the Falcons off task.  Julio’s didn’t help - both of those players kind of held Dimitroff hostage somewhat.

I believe the FO did the best they could with cards they were dealt.  I am never a big fan of the “hired gun” in free agency - even though Falcons got two superstars in Michael Turner and Alex Mack - those are the exceptions to the general rule of “buyer beware”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone spoiled by that 2016 draft which is really rare. I think we did well this draft, if lucky we have 2 starting OL and a good backup DT. 

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Osiruz said:

Everyone spoiled by that 2016 draft which is really rare. I think we did well this draft, if lucky we have 2 starting OL and a good backup DT. 

If Falcons get two above average starting Offensive Linemen and nothing else, then it was still a very good draft.

If we also get 1-2 more players that have significant-to-starting-roles at some point in rookie contract, then it’s a home run of a draft.

Osiruz, falconidae and duckhoa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

If Falcons get two above average starting Offensive Linemen and nothing else, then it was still a very good draft.

If we also get 1-2 more players that have significant-to-starting-roles at some point in rookie contract, then it’s a home run of a draft.

If this turns into another 16 draft, that would be enough to push the falcons over the top.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

God I hate this misstated argument.  Take the 6th round pick out altogether for all I care.

We gave up ONE PICK - #79 - to move up from #45 to #31.

ONE PICK

Not TWO!!! <_<

Falcons gave up ONE top 100 pick to have TWO first round picks.  Should also be noted the extra first round pick gives you the 5th yr option on first round drafted player.

Where did I say 2? lol...I said “I can still be annoyed about that 3rd round pick.  Top 100 picks are gold,”.  

And I’m right, we’ve given up a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 6 of 9 years.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If Falcons get two above average starting Offensive Linemen and nothing else, then it was still a very good draft.

If we also get 1-2 more players that have significant-to-starting-roles at some point in rookie contract, then it’s a home run of a draft.

Coming off a bottom 5 league defense year? No sir, that won’t be “a very good draft”. At all. 

 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, Yo_Lover said:

I've been seeing some "we only got one good guy out of the draft" bitchy kinda posts.

Yeah, that's normal. The draft is a ******* crapshoot. Look at the Pats 2015 draft. 11 picks, 2 starters (1 left), and only 2 are even on the team (one starter and one backup). 

Ours has 2 starters still with us and one backup. 

No team hits on 3-5 or more picks in the draft like some of y'all wanna think. Get your head out of the sand and actually look at other teams besides just the Falcons. Maybe then you'll realize we aren't as bad as some of you wanna think.

Draft fascinates majority of fans, even more popular than the anti-climatic super bowl game itself. 

Deep inside all of us is a NFL GM wannabe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now