ike barn87987

I'm not impressed with this draft.... just like 2017

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Relax....it takes 2-3 yrs

But I’m betting on TD Pioli and DQ... collectively they’ve been pretty bad as for the record

edit - my bad ^ as in bad as-s

Edited by Atl Falcon
FalconsIn2020 and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

I’m more impressed with this draft as time progresses.  

Me too bro....it’s growing on me. We got believe in the brain trust 

VTCrunkler and PokerSteve like this

2 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Relax....it takes 2-3 yrs

But I’m betting on TD Pioli and DQ... collectively they’ve been pretty bad as for the record

How?

Just now, Atl Falcon said:

Me too bro....it’s growing on me. We got believe in the brain trust 

I think the draft tenure of this iteration of front office has to be given the benefit of the doubt.  They really have done well 

3 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Other than Ridley, i feel like our 18 draft was one of the worst in some time..yeah we got some names that keep popping up, but the results just arnt there.. One decent player out of a entire draft is a huge fail imo.. 

And yes, I know we're planning on starting Oliver this season.. But im definitely not sold thats a good thing 

I agree about Oliver. For some reason I just have a bad feeling about him.  He hasn't shown me much this far that gives me any confidence. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

I think the draft tenure of this iteration of front office has to be given the benefit of the doubt.  They really have done well 

Absolutely- tho I have my doubts withTD but got to give him credit even if Pioli was responsible 

VTCrunkler likes this

46 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Absolutely- tho I have my doubts withTD but got to give him credit even if Pioli was responsible 

At some point we have to give credit where credit is due. We may have gotten Matt hit in the past but now we are truly addressing the o line like we never have before. Look what investing in a line has done for the cowboys and saints. 

Ergo Proxy and Atl Falcon like this

53 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I agree about Oliver. For some reason I just have a bad feeling about him.  He hasn't shown me much this far that gives me any confidence. 

He's being tossed in to the starting line-up without enough experience. Obviously looks like a weak link and my guess is opposing DC's are going to be testing him early and often. It would be unreasonable to not expect some ups and downs until he can get comfortable.

VTCrunkler likes this

Ike you're one of the best 'draft guys' on here but you do have a propensity to fall in love with certain players every year and that clouds your judgement somewhat. There is always more than one way to skin a cat and this class to me, similar to 2016, is a draft class that no one universally loves but ends up looking a whole lot better down the line. 

What I like is we've clearly identified certain traits that we value (athleticism, toughness, competitiveness) and we're betting on our culture and coaching to bring the best out of them. 

The draft was good enough on paper but could have been much better. Only time will tell—the players could pan out to be much better than expected and then no one - including me - will ***** about paying too much or drafting too high.

The real concern is DL pass rush. I don’t see Vic Beasley magically turning into a consistent double digit sack monster. Hopefully some other players on DL will step it up this year and maybe some tweaks DQ has up his sleeve for the DL pressure will work wonders on the pass rush this year

17 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

I’m more impressed with this draft as time progresses.  

https://bloggingdirty.com/2019/04/29/atlanta-falcons-2019-nfl-draft-grade/

Fansided agrees:

Overall, Atlanta Falcons fans should be really happy with how this draft went for the franchise. They addressed major needs, traded up to take players coveted by other teams, added elements not on the roster and more important than anything else, the Atlanta Falcons got better.

While outsiders may not like how the Falcons drafted, keep in mind most gave the 2016 draft class a “D” and there have been three pro-bowlers out of that class.

Obviously, the draft grade at this point is highly speculative, but there is reason to be optimistic and hopeful moving forward. The Falcons addressed every need, added players that will make an impact right away and most of them will have an opportunity to come in and earn starting jobs right away and that is all you can ask out the rookies.

Adding these seven rookies to an established veteran lead team should allow the Falcons to regain their seat atop the NFC South and to again contend for the NFC crown. Given the difficulty of the 2019 schedule, these rookies will be baptized by fire very quickly and will have to sink or swim faster than maybe some will like. As competitors, all you ask for is a chance and they are definitely going to get one!

Overall Draft Grade: B+

VTCrunkler, PokerSteve and gazoo like this

5 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Ike you're one of the best 'draft guys' on here but you do have a propensity to fall in love with certain players every year and that clouds your judgement somewhat. There is always more than one way to skin a cat and this class to me, similar to 2016, is a draft class that no one universally loves but ends up looking a whole lot better down the line. 

What I like is we've clearly identified certain traits that we value (athleticism, toughness, competitiveness) and we're betting on our culture and coaching to bring the best out of them. 

Well said.

18 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

He's being tossed in to the starting line-up without enough experience. Obviously looks like a weak link and my guess is opposing DC's are going to be testing him early and often. It would be unreasonable to not expect some ups and downs until he can get comfortable.

See this right here never makes sense to me? How do you get experience at CB without playing? How do you develop? He started in college. He played in 14 games last year with 2 starts. How much experience is he supposed to have or need? Tru and Alf started as rookies and both did well. Richard Sherman was a wr that converted to CB his junior year in college. I’ve never understood why ppl are scared of playing young players? If they suck yes but Oliver doesn’t suck. I watched him play some good ball the last 4/5 games of the season. Another camp and a better understanding of the system and how to be a pro is all a second year player with a years worth of playing experience needs.  He had 7 pd’s and 1 int.  I think he’ll be ok. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

See this right here never makes sense to me? How do you get experience at CB without playing? How do you develop? He started in college. He played in games last year. How much experience is he supposed to have or need? Tru and Alf started as rookies and both did well. Richard Sherman was a wr that converted to CB his junior year in college. I’ve never understood why ppl are scared of playing young players? If they suck yes but Oliver doesn’t suck. I watched him play some good ball the last 4/5 games of the season. Another camp and a better understanding of the system and how to be a pro is all a second year player with a years worth of playing experience needs.  He had 7 pd’s and 1 int. I think he’ll be ok. 

They want rookies with 3 years of NFL starting experience. Duh. 

TheFatboi likes this

18 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Trufant

Alford

King

Alexander

Etc

You gotta start somewhere to get experience. What do you wanna do? Ship him to another team to take his lumps then trade back for him?

TheFatboi likes this

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

They want rookies with 3 years of NFL starting experience. Duh. 

Exactly. How do you get that? Lol

Yo_Lover likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Trufant

Alford

King

Alexander

Etc

You gotta start somewhere to get experience. What do you wanna do? Ship him to another team to take his lumps then trade back for him?

No, I like him. I just said we can expect him to get picked on and to get beat on occasion until he has enough experience to hold his own.

Couldn't be much worse than Alford was last year, so no, not looking to dump hm before he even has a chance to get his feet on the ground.

6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Trufant

Alford

King

Alexander

Etc

Right?? Lol. Oliver was drafted to start eventually. Well eventually came in year 2. How did Grady become what he is? He played as a rookie. Then they gave him more responsibility in year 2. 

falcons007, Yo_Lover and Stryka like this

On 5/26/2019 at 8:28 AM, atlbaby said:

What? McGary not Athletic (lol)

Our 5th round corner Jordan Miller is Josh Norman 2.0 another 5th rounder who fell in the draft.

Lol I stopped reading at McGary. McGary was the only OL pats worked out and their beat reporter said he was most probably their pick if Falcons didn’t jump ahead. McGary is plenty athletic just not as polished in pass blocking. 

atlbaby and Stryka like this

I think Rico will help look out for Oliver. We got communication back on the Defense and DQ to teach it just the way he wants everything ran as the FT DC. No more scrambling pre-snap. Players coaching up what they see their teammate struggling on. That was the purpose of 'brotherhood' and helping your teammate get better.

Stryka likes this

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

I think Rico will help look out for Oliver. We got communication back on the Defense and DQ to teach it just the way he wants everything ran as the FT DC.

That's not Rico's job or what he's good at.

3 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

That's not Rico's job or what he's good at.

He’s certainly better than Kazee was at protecting the deep ball. That’s more my point. Not necessarily him teaching Oliver how to play CB or anything like that.

Just the communication side alone and not taking risky angles but instead playing a more supportive than playmaking role.