ike barn87987

I'm not impressed with this draft.... just like 2017

53 posts in this topic

In the 2017 draft we only got Takk and Kazee. In this one I'm only seeing Lindstrom, Ollison, and Green. We haven't seen any of them play yet and I could be wrong, but I'm speaking on the right now.

I believe Lindstrom was drafted too high, but I still think he will hold his own tho. I liked him as a 2nd rounder, but still think he will play at a high level. McGary to me was probably a 3rd rounder. Everything I've seen from him has not been good. He definitely can't handle speed and he's not athletic imo. He still seems raw as a converted D lineman.

Sheffield looks like a track star who needs to really work on his technique. He's really small and is another CB that doesn't get his head around. He is a good tackler tho FWIW. Cominsky is a small schooler who didn't dominate at his level of competition. Not even at the SB like Saunders did. Now they really don't know where to play him. It's one thing to just be versatile as you are, but they want him to put on weight to possibly play inside.

I like Ollison and Green. We definitely need a big back that can get the tough yards, and I believe he can. If the OL blocks like they should he will be a good weapon. He has speed also for his size and can play ST. Green looks like a **** good returner. Hopefully he can stay healthy and maybe with the new ST coach we will improve.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

You think they made the cominsky pick without having an idea what to do with him. I doubt it. I didnt like the draft day of but the line needed to be fixed or upgraded. Lets hope it pans out that way.

What would you have done differently?

"We haven't seen any of them play yet and I could be wrong"

You could be wrong or right,time will tell.

Adam25 likes this

1 hour ago, ike barn87987 said:

It's one thing to just be versatile as you are, but they want him to put on weight to possibly play inside.

This right here shows me you have no idea what you're talking about. He got consistent pressure and pushed the pocket into the QB when playing inside.

At one point, I somewhat doubted this draft myself & also had a little bit of those 2017 vibes. The more that I looked at our current roster, next year’s offseason, and of course the players we drafted...the more that I became a big fan of this draft. In fact, this draft could end up rivaling 2016 IMO.

Lindstrom “drafted too high” yada yada. The same was said about Keanu. We’re getting an absolute anchor against pass rush for the next 8+ years. I at first, and before the draft, didn’t like McGary a single bit as I too thought he struggled too much against speed around the edge. That has more to do with the type of technique that was asked of him at UW as shown in the Howard Mudd article that’s previously been posted on TATF. Dude’s strong, flexible, nasty, plays with incredible leverage, and isn’t as bad against speed as it appears.

Sheffield still has some technique issues to correct (turning his head) & understanding what he sees on the field, but his athletic profile is sky high. I don’t expect much from him in Year 1, but after this year we could really start to see him be a very active playmaker on this defense. Cominsky is my least favorite pick (someone has to be), and is a developmental type guy. Low risk (4th round) high upside guy on the line. Qadree Ollison, just day no more. Wrecking ball with some burst. Jordan Miller can flat out play & is a flat out stud. He’s already naturally very technique-sound & appears to have great feel for the game. His personality gives me vibes of a very very very good teammate/locker room guy & a quiet leader but a leader at that still. Miller’s going to be awesome. Marcus Green’s a gadget weapon who can be schemes for chunk yards in the run or pass, and also be a big time contributor in special teams.

Time will tell though. I believe we’re getting 3 long term starters in Lindstrom, McGary, and Miller. Two reliable role guys in Ollison & Green. Two high upside developmental guys in Sheffield & Cominsky with Sheffield already being farther into his development. 

4 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

In the 2017 draft we only got Takk and Kazee. In this one I'm only seeing Lindstrom, Ollison, and Green. We haven't seen any of them play yet and I could be wrong, but I'm speaking on the right now.

I believe Lindstrom was drafted too high, but I still think he will hold his own tho. I liked him as a 2nd rounder, but still think he will play at a high level. McGary to me was probably a 3rd rounder. Everything I've seen from him has not been good. He definitely can't handle speed and he's not athletic imo. He still seems raw as a converted D lineman.

Sheffield looks like a track star who needs to really work on his technique. He's really small and is another CB that doesn't get his head around. He is a good tackler tho FWIW. Cominsky is a small schooler who didn't dominate at his level of competition. Not even at the SB like Saunders did. Now they really don't know where to play him. It's one thing to just be versatile as you are, but they want him to put on weight to possibly play inside.

I like Ollison and Green. We definitely need a big back that can get the tough yards, and I believe he can. If the OL blocks like they should he will be a good weapon. He has speed also for his size and can play ST. Green looks like a **** good returner. Hopefully he can stay healthy and maybe with the new ST coach we will improve.

Well you've shown how little you know about OL.

Falconsfan567 and atlbaby like this

4 hours ago, red falcon said:

If Ward is right and Sheffield does translate, we can let go of Tru in a year or two max and save money.

If that alone and the OL picks work out? This draft is one of the best in our history, given the OL needs we had a couple years running with the rest of the roster in a SB caliber form (presuming injured defenders would come back strong)...

Cominsky in year 2 and Miller as Cover-3 boundary CB depth would make the draft really solid in addition. (as in, they turn into reliable depth after their rookie years)

QO and Mr. Green would just sweeten the draft if their use as role players; power back option and gadget slot/back/returner, put us over the top as a team.

PokerSteve and duckhoa like this

4 hours ago, atlbaby said:

What? McGary not Athletic (lol)

Our 5th round corner Jordan Miller is Josh Norman 2.0 another 5th rounder who fell in the draft.

Yeah, McGary athleticism is off the charts, so I don’t know where OP got that nonsense from. And Miller could be our diamond-in-the-ruff if he can stay healthy.

Cominsky screams Jack Crawford replacement for next year; seeing as Craw is an UFA.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-cominsky?id=3219434f-4d27-5428-ccac-ad99ba74b4eb

Dude has the measurable and should convert as an inside rusher easily. How soon is yet TBD, but I think the Falcons wanted Depth in case of injury and is a groom pick for the aforementioned loss of Crawford next year.

The only question; and why he is a mid-rounder, is whether DQ can mold him/coach him into a guy that uses his athleticism to make meaningful plays/snaps in a role alongside his teammates. There is a reason the Cowboys targeted him and we jumped them to take John.

With Means going down; who was expected to get all of Reed's reps and Shelby gone as well, we have a need at DE. It'll be interesting to see how in-season snaps pan out and if any roster moves are made along the DL before TC and after June 1st monies open up the cap space.

I've largely avoided talking about the draft because no one knows who will be the right guy in the right spot at the right time.   I like all of the players and think all of them have tremendous upside but I'd be lying if I said I loved it.  There's going to be a lot of pressure on Lindstrom and McGary to start given the first round picks and trade up for the latter.  Pretty much everyone else feels like a big project or niche player.  I'm just trusting the staff to know what they need and being able to get it out of them.  We've had four drafts under DQ and I think they have all been quite fruitful so hoping the streak continues with this group.

McGary "was probably a third rounder". 

So I guess the Patriots, and half a dozen other teams, who were about to grab him late first or early second...all those teams' front offices, scouts, and coaches....they're all stupider than our OP here.

There is no way in **** McGary was going to last beyond early second round. 

Other than Ridley, i feel like our 18 draft was one of the worst in some time..yeah we got some names that keep popping up, but the results just arnt there.. One decent player out of a entire draft is a huge fail imo.. 

And yes, I know we're planning on starting Oliver this season.. But im definitely not sold thats a good thing 

6 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

Please provide us with your pre-draft mock for 2019 draft. I will provide the same type of analysis for you.

To cut to the chase though, your draft is a bust. I’ve seen nothing from the players you selected to lead me to believe they are athletic, more than a track star, weren’t severely overdrafted, or will make it.

Who knows, as Billy Joel would say, I may be right.

atlbaby and Stryka like this

32 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Other than Ridley, i feel like our 18 draft was one of the worst in some time..yeah we got some names that keep popping up, but the results just arnt there.. One decent player out of a entire draft is a huge fail imo.. 

And yes, I know we're planning on starting Oliver this season.. But im definitely not sold thats a good thing 

Not remotely true. If Oliver balls out this year the 2018 draft may be one of the best since 2008.

Senat played really good for a raw, middle round DL. As year went on he got better and better. These DL can take 3 or even 4 years to peak, Senat is going to keep getting better.

Foye is a player who may explode this year. A raw late round LB out of Yale being forced into rookie action was making spectacular plays by late last season. He covered Jimmy Graham on a 40 yard pass knocking ball out of air just as it was dropping in his hands.  He runs a 4.48 in the 40, which is what the Falcons want when they talk about the run-and-hit factor. He has a 37-inch vertical, which speaks to his explosiveness. And he bench pressed 225 pounds a total of 18 times. I am really excited to see how he looks this camp.

Running behind a pathetic, broken down  OL, Ito Smith was top running back in NFL last year in making players miss. He made Luke Keuchly look like Duke Riley a couple of times, of was really good picking up blitzes in pass protection, and Ito has just scratched the surface of his receiving abilities.

We will see about Gage,

8 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Not remotely true. If Oliver balls out this year the 2018 draft may be one of the best since 2008.

Senat played really good for a raw, middle round DL. As year went on he got better and better. These DL can take 3 or even 4 years to peak, Senat is going to keep getting better.

Foye is a player who may explode this year. A raw late round LB out of Yale being forced into rookie action was making spectacular plays by late last season. He covered Jimmy Graham on a 40 yard pass knocking ball out of air just as it was dropping in his hands.  He runs a 4.48 in the 40, which is what the Falcons want when they talk about the run-and-hit factor. He has a 37-inch vertical, which speaks to his explosiveness. And he bench pressed 225 pounds a total of 18 times. I am really excited to see how he looks this camp.

Running behind a pathetic, broken down  OL, Ito Smith was top running back in NFL last year in making players miss. He made Luke Keuchly look like Duke Riley a couple of times, of was really good picking up blitzes in pass protection, and Ito has just scratched the surface of his receiving abilities.

We will see about Gage,

Thats what im saying.. The 18 class had alot of what ifs.. But it could go either way.. I believe Ridley will continue to improve.. Im just not totally sold the rest will get to that next level yet.. 

7 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

You know McGary was probably  3rd rounder how?

7 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

On paper it was a good draft. I’m just not a fan of the defense overall 

I agree.  My issue was never the players.  There are likely 3-4 future starters.  I just felt we allocated too much  of our FA & draft resources to an area that was already a strength, offense.

I don’t care what anyone says. If I mocked our actual draft the day before the draft, it would have been a universal “hate it” from TATF

PokerSteve and Knight of God like this

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

We will see about Gage,

He was #6. Not the top runningback.

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I agree.  My issue was never the players.  There are likely 3-4 future starters.  I just felt we allocated too much  of our FA & draft resources to an area that was already a strength, offense.

I don’t care what anyone says. If I mocked our actual draft the day before the draft, it would have been a universal “hate it” from TATF

Falcon fans have never seen Ryan play behind an OL big, strong, powerful and talented enough to take over a game all by themselves.  Close in 2012 but talent level was average. We’ve seen Brady, Brees and many other pocket QBs play with dominant OLs, but never Ryan.

The remainder of Ryan’s peak years will be him playing behind one of the better OLs in the NFL.  I’m good here.