Carter

2019 SEC Football Predictions

26 posts in this topic

I realize it's kinda early, but I got a request to go ahead and get this thread started for general SEC talk for the 2019 season.

I will do a brief summary with each team and then post the predictions format in the next post so yall can just copy and paste that to keep it nice and uniform throughout this thread. :)

Starting in the SEC West, which has carried the torch for the SEC for a long while now, Bama again figures to be the heavy favorite to win the division. Bama had many early departures for the NFL Draft, I believe the most draft declarations in Saban's coaching history if I'm not mistaken. However, this is Bama we are talking about and they have consistently recruited better than anyone for a decade. With a beatdown at the hands of Clemson in the national title game and some drastic coaching turnover, we can expect the Tide to be as focused as ever from Saban's leadership but how will that coaching turnover affect them by position?

Bama returns the bulk of important pieces to an offensive juggernaut and they should have no problem rolling undefeated into their October 12th meeting at Texas A&M, but the fun pretty much ends there as A&M looks to field a legit team. Home games against LSU and Tennessee, trips to Auburn and Starkville occupy the October and November schedule for Bama. Tua Tagovailoa will figure to be a Heisman frontrunner throughout the season, although he has struggled with good defenses (as most do). Can he push through a tough back end of the schedule? Can they weather the storm for a return trip to Atlanta?

Texas A&M had a better than expected season in 2018 with several breakout performances and the Aggies look to be fielding a legitimate top 10 caliber team. Unfortunately for A&M, they also have one tough nut of a schedule, probably the toughest in the nation by a country mile. The Aggies will travel to play Clemson in week 2, then close out September with Auburn at home and their rivalry with Arkansas which will be played in Dallas. They have a bye week after this and then host Alabama. After playing Bama the schedule gets more manageable, until their final two games of the regular season: at Georgia, at LSU. That's a really tough challenge for anyone. A&M could be one of the best teams in the country at the end of the season but carry multiple losses, potentially closing with back to back losses.

LSU and Auburn, I'm going to lump together because I see them both as wild cards. They could be really good or really fall flat depending on the level of QB play in particular. Both teams have recruited very well, both have a lot of great talent on their rosters. LSU figures to be the better team and could challenge for the division, at least on paper, but LSU has been prone to sloppy play and losing a game or two they could win. Auburn is a bit of a mess behind the scenes, but that's really not an uncommon situation for them to rise up and pull a solid season from. Auburn has a very tough schedule in 2019 as well and many Auburn fans are likely not going to be too bothered if a 7-5 type of season ends the Gus Malzahn era on the plains. Mississippi State could be another wild card, with the departure of Nick Fitzgerald and promising signs from the next crop of QBs on roster. MSU also has some nasty defensive talent and a budding star at RB with Kylin Hill. The Dawgs of the West could play upset more than once.

Ole Miss and Arkansas likely remain in the division cellar, although Arkansas could be poised for a surprising season in year 2 under head coach Chad Morris. Morris is rebuilding the roster from a run heavy pro style offense to a pass happy Clemson style spread, which is not something easily done. Year 2 typically brings a big turnaround though so it could be interesting to watch what happens there. Time will tell. Ole Miss will likely continue to have a potent offense on the arm of QB Matt Corral, but one that will continue to struggle against any decent defense as Ole Miss lost some big time receivers and their defense is a turnstile.

Switching gears over to the SEC East, there is no doubt who the favorite to win the division is. Georgia lost a few players to the draft but return a ton of experience in the trenches. With QB Jake Fromm going into his 3rd year as the starting QB, the expectations are sky high for 2019 after the 2018 season saw the Dawgs narrowly miss the cut for the playoff after a 2nd straight loss to Bama in the closing minutes of the SEC Championship. Georgia has also gone undefeated in the SEC East for 2 years running, with no team coming within two touchdowns of the Dawgs final score.

Georgia has also recruited as well as anyone since Kirby Smart's arrival at the end of 2015; two out of three full class cycles have been ranked #1 by at least one recruiting service and all three have been nationally ranked #3 or better. That recruiting success has been reflected in success on the field as UGA has been in the national title picture 2 of the past 3 years, making the playoff and narrowly losing to Bama in the 2017 national title game. Will that success continue into 2019?

Florida may be the 2nd best team in the division behind Georgia, although Tennessee in year 2 of head coach Jeremy Pruitt may have something to say about that. Kentucky also showed signs of taking a step toward division relevance; they have an exciting prospect at QB with Wilson but their bellcow RB Benny Snell will be playing on Sundays this year. I lump these 3 together because none of them have separated themselves. Florida finished in the top 10 for 2018 but had blowout losses to Georgia and Missouri and lost to Kentucky for the first time in decades. Tennessee has been going through a rough series of coaching changes, but they hope to finally have some stability to build on under Pruitt and athletic director Phil Fulmer. Kentucky had a breakout 2018 season but faded down the stretch, finishing 10-3 thanks to a bowl win over Penn State.

South Carolina has been a dark horse for the past few years, but their prospects for 2019 look dim as they have a brutal schedule and have not shown any consistent signs that they can get back over the hump to be a division contender. The Gamecocks have been rather plagued with inconsistency and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Missouri could be the real dark horse in the division, with former Clemson QB Kelly Bryant transferring in and a slew of very good skill position talent around him. They could very conceivably start off 8-0 and have media buzz surrounding Bryant, but that 9th game is a trip to Athens and then the Tigers will host Florida and Tennessee before closing the season at Kentucky. Mizzou could potentially finish 10-2. The Tigers, however, are on a postseason ban for academic violations.

Vanderbilt will most likely take a step back and finish last in the division.

Spts1, Billy Ocean and sdogg like this

SEC West

SEC East

SEC Champions:
SEC Coach of the Year:
Offensive Player of the Year:
Defensive Player of the Year

g-dawg likes this

SEC West 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. SEC East 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. SEC Champions: SEC Coach of the Year: Offensive Player of the Year: Defensive Player of the Year:

Placeholder for me... will likely update. This was just quick off the cuff without looking at schedules/rosters.

SEC West

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Auburn
4. Texas A&M
5. Miss St
6. Ole Miss
7. Arkansas

SEC East

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Missouri
4. Tennessee
5. South Carolina
6. Kentucky
7. Vanderbilt

SEC Champions
SEC Coach of the Year
Offensive Player of the Year
Defensive Player of the Year: Grant Delpit

On 5/25/2019 at 10:06 PM, Carter said:

Without looking at schedules, here's my best guess.  Trying to do it without looking through red and black tinted glasses.

SEC West

1. Bammer
2. LSU
3. Texas A/M
4. The Barn
5. Miss State 
6. Arky
7. Old Piss

SEC East

1. UGA
2. Viles
3. Gayturds
4. UK
5. Mizz
6. Sakerlina
7. Vandy

SEC Champions: UGA
SEC Coach of the Year: Orgeron
Offensive Player of the Year: Fromm
Defensive Player of the Year: Dylan Moses

South Carolina has been a dark horse for the past few years, but their prospects for 2019 look dim as they have a brutal schedule and have not shown any consistent signs that they can get back over the hump to be a division contender. The Gamecocks have been rather plagued with inconsistency and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I completely agree! Many analysts and fans are very disappointed last season.
Yes, I also think that we will already be looking at the first trend next season.
Read just an article here about this https://www.mightytips.com/.

In fact, the 21st century is not so bad, there were some pretty cool moments. 
I hope our guys will not disappoint us next season, I really want to see a really cool game!

On 5/25/2019 at 10:06 PM, Carter said:

SEC West

1. Bama
2. LSU
3. AU
4. TAM
5. MSU
6. OM
7. ARK

SEC East

1. UGA
2. Mizzou
3. UF
4. KY
5. SC
6. Vandy
7. TN

SEC Champions: UGA
SEC Coach of the Year: Odom
Offensive Player of the Year: Tua

Here's some interesting information for added context:

SEC Football Records since the 2012 expansion:

Alabama - 51-5
Georgia - 41-15
LSU - 36-20
Florida - 35-21
Texas A&M - 30-26
Auburn - 28-28
South Carolina - 28-28
Mississippi State - 28-28
Missouri - 27-29
Ole Miss - 23-33
Vanderbilt - 18-38
Kentucky - 17-39
Tennessee - 17-39
Arkansas - 13-43
Porter Osborne Jr, sdogg and Spts1 like this

Posted (edited)

This is a important year for the Dawgs.  Florida and Tennessee have been down and appear to be righting their ships.  Dawgs got to take advantage of a East thats getting better.  Out west, Texas A&M with LSU rebounding is making that tough also.  Alabama will cake walk though because of a easy schedule.   Texas A&M is great but that schedule, they might as well be playing in the South Division with the Falcons...:(  I also agree that you never know when Auburn will pull a upset.  Thats why I said the Dawgs might lose on the road to Auburn.  They can't overlook Auburn or Tennessee on the road...

The SEC as a whole has stepped back up to where it was in the mid 2000s as THE beast league...

EAST-  Georgia, Florida runner up

WEST- Bama, LSU runner up

Edited by slickgadawg

Florida appears to be righting it's ship? Have you been in a coma the past 2 months? That's the opposite of the dumpster fire FU is turning into with all the transfers, decommits, bad recruiting, and fan angst. 

Tenner may or may not be trending up, but even if they are they were one of the worst teams in the SEC last year. It's gonna be a while, if ever, for them. 

On 7/17/2019 at 7:06 PM, ECDawg78 said:

Here's some interesting information for added context:

SEC Football Records since the 2012 expansion:

Alabama - 51-5
Georgia - 41-15
LSU - 36-20
Florida - 35-21
Texas A&M - 30-26
Auburn - 28-28
South Carolina - 28-28
Mississippi State - 28-28
Missouri - 27-29
Ole Miss - 23-33
Vanderbilt - 18-38
Kentucky - 17-39
Tennessee - 17-39
Arkansas - 13-43

Lot of wins for the Dawgs...

Speaking of Tennessee, saw an interesting thread over on the Rant:

Will Tennessee ever be elite again?

Matt Hayes doesn't seem to think so. 

In a scathing article from two days ago, he laid out a laundry list of reasons why Tennessee will never rank among the college football elite ever again. 

quote:
Two decades removed from the golden age of Vols football, second-year coach Jeremy Pruitt strolled to the podium earlier this week and began extolling the academic virtues of his team. 

That's right, the program of General Robert Neyland's maxims and Peyton Manning and Reggie White and all those memorable fall Saturdays in the Smoky Mountains is bowing its back with academics.

quote:
Meanwhile, back in reality: 

- Tennessee has seven losing seasons in its past 11. 
- Five times in the past eight seasons, the Vols have won two or fewer SEC games and are 28-60 in league games since 2008. 
- Tennessee hasn't had a player selected in three of the past five NFL drafts. 
- Four full-time and two interim coaches in the past 10 years have combined for a 62-63 record. 

And if we're really talking academics, look no further than longtime SEC tomato can Vanderbilt, a state rival and academic bastion Tennessee has ignored for decades. The big, bad Commodores have won three straight over the Vols for the first time since the 1920s. 

“We don't feel the weight of bringing the program back,” said Tennessee linebacker Darrell Taylor.

quote:
Look, this isn't going to get better because Nick Saban and Alabama aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Because Ed Orgeron is recruiting as well as anyone in the league at LSU, and Kirby Smart is locking down Georgia and Florida has Mullen. 

Those same areas Fulmer cultivated two decades ago—when Alabama, LSU and Georgia were underachieving with ill-fitted coaching staffs—are long out of reach now and have been so for more than a decade. The days of Tennessee rolling through the SEC are long gone. 

“The game has changed, and Tennessee doesn't quite have the advantages it did with facilities and recruiting,” said former Florida coach Steve Spurrier. “It's a lot like Nebraska right now. Can they get it back? Shoot, there's a lot more to it now.” 

The Vols are 29th in the 247Sports composite recruiting rankings for the 2020 class and sit behind 10 other SEC teams. That's not getting you to Atlanta and the SEC Championship Game for the first time since 2007; that's placing you at the end of a growing list of coaches who couldn't figure it out.

Carter likes this

Alright everyone, we are now just a week or two away from all teams playing their first game of the season. Lets get some predictions going.

Here is mine...

SEC West

1. Alabama (11-1)
2. LSU (10-2)
3. Texas A&M (10-2)
4. Mississippi State (8-4)
5. Auburn (7-5)
6. Arkansas (6-6)
7. Ole Miss (4-8)

SEC East

1. Georgia (11-1)
2. Missouri (10-2)
3. Florida (8-4)
4. Kentucky (8-4)
5. Tennessee (6-6)
6. South Carolina (4-8)
7. Vanderbilt (4-8)

SEC Champions: Georgia
SEC Coach of the Year: Barry Odom, Mizzou
Offensive Player of the Year: QB Tua Tagovailoa, Bama
Defensive Player of the Year: LB Jermaine Johnson, UGA

sdogg likes this

On 5/25/2019 at 9:06 PM, Carter said:

SEC West

1. LSU (11-1)
2. Miss St (10-2)
3. Bama (10-2)
4. Texas A&M (7-5)
5. Auburn (7-5)
6. Ole Miss (4-8)
7. Arkansas (3-9)

SEC East

1. Georgia (12-0)
2. South Carolina (8-4) (5-3 w/ L to CU)
3. Mizzou (9-3) (5-3 w/ L to USCe)
4. Florida (8-4) (4-4)
5. Kentucky (7-5) 
6. Tennessee (7-5)
7. Vandy (5-7)

SEC Champions: Georgia
SEC Coach of the Year: Smart
Offensive Player of the Year: Tua 

Posted (edited)

I think Bama’s lack of depth and/or experienced depth finally gets them. They are way thinner than usual up the middle of the defense, in the interior DL and at ILB, so in that way (lacking quality, experienced depth) are similar to Florida but to a lesser degree.

I think the fighting  muschamp’s have a good year

I think Florida falls off as the season goes on due to lack of depth.

this is LSU’s year, as they return a mass amount of talent and depth, and add in a great recruiting class.

Edited by Reeves
Carter likes this

43 minutes ago, Reeves said:

I think Bama’s lack of depth and/or experienced depth finally gets them. They are way thinner than usual up the middle of the defense, in the interior DL and at ILB, so in that way (lacking quality, experienced depth) are similar to Florida but to a lesser degree.

this is LSU’s year, as they return a mass amount of talent and depth, and add in a great recruiting class.

Georgia has a rough schedule.  I'm seeing two losses.  The key game is against Florida. As long as one of the two losses is not against Florida, they will play Bama or LSU in the SEC Championship game.  If Georgia plays Bama ... I definitely wouldn't bet money after the last two collapses...:(

On 7/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, RandomFan said:

Florida appears to be righting it's ship? Have you been in a coma the past 2 months? That's the opposite of the dumpster fire FU is turning into with all the transfers, decommits, bad recruiting, and fan angst. 

Tenner may or may not be trending up, but even if they are they were one of the worst teams in the SEC last year. It's gonna be a while, if ever, for them. 

And they looked underwhelming last night to me. Their defense as a whole looked better than their offense. Miami, which is not even in top 25, with any luck at all should have won that game.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, Reeves said:

I think LSU is going to be good! Might upset nana this year.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:06 PM, Carter said:

SEC West

1. Bama
2. A&M
3. LSU
4. auburn
5. Miss St
6. Ole Piss
7. Little Piggies

SEC East

1. GA
2. UF