gazoo

Takk McKinley had the 2nd-highest pressure rate in the NFL last season

188 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, athell said:

I think MM was a fall guy for DQ generally but I am curious to see what the defense looks like directly attached to DQ now.

Now or never time.  I hope you're right my friend.

Can’t be a fall guy when DQ overestimated his abilities and readiness to begin with.

Of course, DQ could also prove incapable of delegating DC or picking OC but he can also grow.

I trust DQ to grow more moving forward as DC but he can’t make those same mistakes like overestimating what prospective coordinators without being proven at the NFL level could become.

We don’t have time.

MM may eventually get there himself but yeah he wasn’t ready.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

39 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Did he die before completing the series?

Yeah, but he already made arrangements to complete the series by having a guy named Brandon Sanderson finish the story based on Jordan's notes and rough drafts.

Falconsin2012 likes this

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Can’t be a fall guy when DQ overestimated his abilities and readiness to begin with.

Or DQ was pulling strings more than we thought on defense and MM paid the price...

Either way, DQ front and center now.  No hiding.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

Just now, athell said:

Or DQ was pulling strings more than we thought on defense and MM paid the price...

Eh, if that was the case why fire MM at all? After all, DQ is still the HC.

Bottom line is MM showed an average D in 2017 at best and 2018 he couldn’t adjust when injuries hit.

I’m not buying how much input when he was babysitting the offense, too.

The moves are more in line with how much he would need to focus on the Defense if taking over the actual DC job and needing a reliable set of OCs; proven in the NFL, while doing so.

MM isn’t hired still...

athell likes this

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Indeed. We need to at LEAST be in the top 15 this season.

Top 10 at best.

athell likes this

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Bottom line is MM showed an average D in 2017 at best and 2018 he couldn’t adjust when injuries hit.

The moves are more in line with how much he would need to focus on the Defense if taking over the actual DC job and needing a reliable set of OCs; proven in the NFL, while doing so.

MM isn’t hired still...

DQ is an outstanding DC and is brilliant in scheming, game-planning etc just as Sherman points out. 

I am so Glad he has turned over the keys t the offense to capable hands and is going to take back over as defensive coordinator.  We even have a clock manager now, he really can get the most out of all this talent on defense.

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

MM isn’t hired still...

Yea I dunno tbh.  Like in 16, DQ pulled the rug out from under Smith who was then fired after the season.  Wonder if the same thing happened, just not publically because MM was his boy.  There is probably a good reason MM still lookin for work, to your point.

I hope he fixes this defense man, I'm tired of having an inconsistent and leaky defense.

3 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Indeed. We need to at LEAST be in the top 15 this season.

Top 10 at best.

For all the DQ praise, it better be top 10 and trending towards 5.  If the rumors and narrative are true, and he is this defensive genius, give me that top 5 defense with your fingerprints on it.  No excuses now.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, athell said:

For all the DQ praise, it better be top 10 and trending towards 5.  If the rumors and narrative are true, and he is this defensive genius, give me that top 5 defense with your fingerprints on it.  No excuses now.

Here's hoping Hageman comes on strong and Senat takes a step forward with a healthy Grady and Crawford. Having Debo. Neal, and Allen back will really help and Olukun was pretty good last season alongside Kazee. I think Oliver could be good in his second year, and we have potential depth with drafting Sheffield and Miller.

DE seems to the biggest weakness in this defense outside of maybe Clayborn. I'm hoping for a top 10 D and anything better is gravy. If we can get at least one SB, I don't care how long Quinn stays.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

31 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Yeah, but he already made arrangements to complete the series by having a guy named Brandon Sanderson finish the story based on Jordan's notes and rough drafts.

Sanderson is a pimp.  His 2 series are AMAZING

6 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Here's hoping Hageman comes on strong and Senat takes a step forward with a healthy Grady and Crawford. Having Debo. Neal, and Allen back will really help and Olukun was pretty good last season alongside Kazee. I think Oliver could be good in his second year, and we have potential depth with drafting Sheffield and Miller.

DE seems to the biggest weakness in this defense outside of maybe Clayborn. I'm hoping for a top 10 D and anything better is gravy. If we can get at least one SB, I don't care how long Quinn stays.

Agreed.  On all that.  Good post!

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

This is where I’m at. LB will have some overturn by next year, but the DL as a whole and DE in particular are huge question marks.

Means was gonna do a lot of the dirty work Reed did for us before. We need to find a replacement there while keeping the apparent Depth at DT; as we hope it turns out.

That’s why I said before: DL is the crucial factor next year. They do their part we got some players behind them; 3 that missed almost entire season.

I think Oliver; with Rico shielding him, will upgrade what Alford was last year no doubt about it. Question is how much.

If anyone can step up on pass rush, hopefully it’ll be as a COMPLIMENT to a good run Defense resurgence. That’s why I believe Davison was a sneaky good move. We aren’t just banking on Senat’s year 2 progression and have a better player than McClain last year.

Those things pan out and all we need is performance vs the pass. Neal, DeBo, Kazee, Foye, & Vondre all gonna Cover ground over the middle.

Oliver and Tru should be fine on the outside with an improved unit between the hash marks.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
BoomGoesTheDynamite and gazoo like this

This dude is just a hammer. He doesn't wow you with tangibles....he just has an indomitable will. He bangs away all game. It was evident last year. He had 7 sacks and if we had any push inside from other than Grady he would have been able to close more. 10 sacks is not only possible I believe its inevitable. 

He wants it and he WILL get it. Looking forward to the year. Clayborn is back to keep him and Vic fresh so with DQ callin shots....I think he has a great year. 

On 5/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, gazoo said:

On 5/25/2019 at 5:49 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

In Quinn’s defense it’s about chaos, not sacks

That works great in a lot of divisions, but unfortunately all 3 rival QBs in our division do very well against pressure.  Newton and Winston will just take off running and Brees will dump it off.

In pretty much any other other division, pressures are almost as good as sacks.  The NFC West will probably be another exception this year though.

Falconsin2012 likes this