FalconsIn2020

OTA’s: Why They Are Important or Not

101 posts in this topic

I see an uncommon amount of nonsense being spewed about OTA’s and how unimportant they are to veteran players.  How more is accomplished in their own training regime.  This isn’t a Julio thread...it’s a thread discussing the overall importance of OTA’s to the team.  

If you can read this article and still say these OTA’s have no value for veteran players, then so be it.  But honestly, we have 3 new Coordinators so these few days are crucial

The Importance of Technique Work

OTAs (Organized Team Activities) are competitive in the NFL during the spring months—to a degree.

Teams will run seven-on-seven, team drills and do some one-on-one work (wide receivers versus defensive backs, for example). But in shorts and helmets (with limited contact), no one is going to win a job in May or early June.

The real competition (with paychecks and starting jobs on the line) starts during training camp and throughout the preseason where reps are graded by coaching staffs.

However, OTAs provide tremendous value from a technique perspective.

hi-res-f833ef53d0ea74a3a4ed013ae6697873_crop_exact.jpg?w=2975&h=2048&q=85USA TODAY Sports

Individual periods are extended in the offseason with footwork, mechanics, eye placement, hands, etc. becoming the main focus as veterans work on their craft.

This is the time to improve from the previous season in the film room on those key technique areas during drills.

Unlike the regular-season practices where game prep takes precedence and individual periods are reduced, the OTA workouts give the vets the opportunity to practice and study their technique.

Defensive backs drill the transition movements (plant and drive, hip turn), the offensive and defensive fronts work on hand placement at the point of attack, receivers focus on their hips at the break point and quarterbacks spend time mastering their overall mechanics.

All of these OTA sessions are filmed, and they will be reviewed post-practice (or the following morning) with position coaches.

And I can’t stress enough the importance of the technique work that takes place in the offseason. Along with film study and self-scouting, technique is at the core of every productive player in the league.

Playbook Install

By the time players arrive for training camp in late July, they are ready to compete because the base schemes have already been installed during OTAs.

Every team will dedicate meeting time, walk-throughs and specific "install" periods during OTA sessions to teach and implement those schemes through repetition on the field.

For example, Lovie Smith’s defense in Tampa will install and rep Over Cover 1 (man-free), Under 10 (weak-side man rotation), Under "Smash" (zone blitz), Cover 2 versus the flat-7 combination, etc. during OTA practices.

fa046ed07541d68bf76978233fc59fdc_crop_exact.jpg?w=2975&h=2048&q=85Brian Blanco/Getty Images

The same can be said for Mike McCarthy’s offense in Green Bay or **** LeBeau’s defense in Pittsburgh, as the practice sessions in the spring give these coaching staffs the time to implement the playbook.

Players will fill their notebooks during OTA film sessions with adjustments, coaching points and the corrections that need to be made based off of what happens on the practice field.

This allows teams to focus on competitive situations when training camp starts instead of wasting valuable practice time to install and correct the basic schemes, concepts, etc. that were taught during the spring.

As camp progresses, coordinators will add to the playbook and begin to prep for the Week 1 opponent on the regular-season schedule.

However, all 32 teams in the NFL will head into camp prepared from a playbook perspective because of the time spent on the field and in the film room during OTAs.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

11 minutes ago, athell said:

Leave

The

Dead

Horse

Aloooooooooooooooooone

Seriously dude, give it a rest.

(ftr, they are as pointless as this thread)

They're pointless to you, you mean.  

I'm sure there are many players and other Falcon employees who get plenty of benefit from them.  

Dukeduke211 and FalconsIn2020 like this

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I'm sure there are many players and other Falcon employees who get plenty of benefit from them.  

They are pointless.  The article he uses to debunk this fact, eludes to it several times lol

Honestly, I just don't think we needed yet another OTA thread.  I'm kinda over the topic and seeing it continually pop up on these boards and we literally go through this same song and dance every single year.

I'd probably be more ok with it if it wasn't a passive aggressive swipe at Julio based on yesterday's conversations...

2 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Especially the new guys. 

Plus new coaching staff.

PokerSteve and Dukeduke211 like this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Especially the new guys. 

Plus new coaching staff.

This is correct.  2012, as proof by yesterday's comments, takes issue to Julio not being there and Julio alone.  This is an attempt to further prove that point which is why I take exception.

Yo_Lover and Vandy like this

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, athell said:

This is correct.  2012, as proof by yesterday's comments, takes issue to Julio not being there and Julio alone.  This is an attempt to further prove that point which is why I take exception.

Fighting again while I’ve been away?

You two need to grab a beer....or get laid. :)

Edited by Vandy
athell, PokerSteve and NeonDeion like this

Just now, Vandy said:

Fighting again while I’ve been away?

You two need to grab a beer....

Not fighting, disagreeing :)  2012 is still my guy and a great poster, but this is now the 5th OTA thread on the front page.  Combined with all the replies yesterday.  Combined with this topic EVERY.  SINGLE.  YEAR.  I'm tired Vandy.  This topic needs to be gone, y'all.  Be gone.

6 minutes ago, athell said:

Not fighting, disagreeing :)  2012 is still my guy and a great poster, but this is now the 5th OTA thread on the front page.  Combined with all the replies yesterday.  Combined with this topic EVERY.  SINGLE.  YEAR.  I'm tired Vandy.  This topic needs to be gone, y'all.  Be gone.

Please see my edit to previous post......and don’t take away your ‘like’! :ninja:

PokerSteve and athell like this

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Please see my edit to previous post......and don’t take away your ‘like’! :ninja:

Are you offering?  :lol:

:ninja:

20 hours ago, athell said:

Are you offering?  :lol:

:ninja:

Get out of here with that crapola  bro. Cant ‘like’ that one. At all. :ninja:

Here is what would happen if anyone started that foolishness with me:

We're installing a partially new offense as well. We need all the time we can get with every player. JJ not being their but demanding a new contract every year is ridiculous and he should be called out on it. Vic should also obvioulsy be at OTA's as well. Any player not at OTA's in a year with so many new coaches and potential scheme changes should be questioned.

1 hour ago, athell said:

Leave

The

Dead

Horse

Aloooooooooooooooooone

I cant.  Cause this comment is wrong

If we skipped OTA’s while the other 31 teams had theirs, you don’t think we start next year at a disadvantage?

1 hour ago, athell said:

They are pointless.  The article he uses to debunk this fact, eludes to it several times lol

Honestly, I just don't think we needed yet another OTA thread.  I'm kinda over the topic and seeing it continually pop up on these boards and we literally go through this same song and dance every single year.

I'd probably be more ok with it if it wasn't a passive aggressive swipe at Julio based on yesterday's conversations...

I’m not passive aggressive on JJ.  I’m direct.  He should be there as a teammate but not practice.  

44 minutes ago, athell said:

lol :lol:

You don't need to act with me, Vandy.  Bring it in bro.

Did you see what he did to that dude’s fingers, athell?

Don’t mess with me bro. :ninja:

PokerSteve, vitaman and athell like this

13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

If we skipped OTA’s while the other 31 teams had theirs, you don’t think we start next year at a disadvantage?

Sigh.

Knew I shouldn't even have replied.  I see you are onto the 'making things up' phase of your argument and I could not care less.

Mandatory OTAs for all next year!  That's the ticket!

19 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Not really.

Teams have made the playoffs with losing OTAs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936095/article/ravens-lose-two-ota-sessions-after-rules-violation

There is value in them but not having them  is not the end of the world

me4falcons, vel and athell like this

1 hour ago, athell said:

Leave

The

Dead

Horse

Aloooooooooooooooooone

Preciate you bruh!! :tiphat:

athell likes this

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Not really.

Teams have made the playoffs with losing OTAs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936095/article/ravens-lose-two-ota-sessions-after-rules-violation

There is value in them but not having them  is not the end of the world

Think about that, they LOSE practices because of contact. How do you practice for a contact sport without making contact? Exactly. 

It's literally just a check in to make sure players don't show up to training camp out of shape. OTAs are a very recent thing, implemented for this very reason. They couldn't say "Hey guys, come up to team facilities in May so we can do physicals and check your conditioning. You won't be paid and we can't require you to do it, but we'd really appreciate it!" Because players would laugh and say heIl no not on my time off.  That's literally all it is. They do the other stuff to justify it, but the fact that the league penalizes teams for practicing too hard by taking away these periods just adds to it. You never see training camp practices stripped away. And all the while, the media's job is to stir up the fans in case a player doesn't show up to "check in" so they can use it as leverage to shame the players that don't show up. 

Find actual players. Ask them what really goes on at OTAs and how they feel about them. I know actual players and have done such thing. 

1 hour ago, athell said:

It’s like that for me as well. I’ve stepped back as of late because of threads like this. OP says it’s not about Julio but this thread isn’t even created if Julio was at OTA’s. Another example is the thread he created about Shanahan and Julio the other day as well. 

athell likes this

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It’s like that for me as well. I’ve stepped back as of late because of threads like this. OP says it’s not about Julio but this thread isn’t even created if Julio was at OTA’s. Another example is the thread he created about Shanahan and Julio the other day as well. 

Exactly right.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

Each player at the end of last season, and during the off season gets a development plan of things they need to accomplish in the off season. As long as these goals are met there is no issue. OTA's will help players who did not get that offseason plan from the previous season or are new to the NFL. It takes time to learn to be a professional.