vel

Vic Beasley Skips OTAs

135 posts in this topic

Vic is putting his summer basketball league or whatever he run the front runner over his football career

He is an idiot. This is his chance to work with quinn to turn things around. 

But instead vic wants to crap on quinn who just went against every single falcon fan to giving him another year with mad money. 

..... hate to say it. But we'll see vic walking off the field before the game is over..... again

NeonDeion and B3TD like this

Quandary: This board hates Vic Beasley and says he needs to change. If he was hated when he was at OTAs, then this is something different. His own workout regimen might work.

vel likes this

12 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Vel, you really see no value in these OTA’s?  You’d be ok if nobody showed up?  This is a  of a former NFL players review on what happens at OTA’s.    Players should be there

Nope. I don't. Extend training camp. Three days in May isn't impacting much, truth be told. That's why it's optional. Same with the three days they'll get in June. They spend more than three days working with Matt on stuff that creates nuance. Hooper, for example, getting undivided time with Matt is more valuable than three days in Flowery Branch. 

I'd rather they skipped OTAs in May and June, focused on getting healthy and starting training camp two weeks early, restricting full contact drills during the initial two weeks. Or maybe go no pads the first week, shells the second week, then full from there. That's more valuable. They can't even touch each other in OTAs basically. It's not even close to competitive. 

When this is the goal of OTAs:

"The top priority for every organization is always to remain healthy."

I'd rather guys not show up and guarantee their health. Julio is guaranteed to not tear an Achilles at Flowery Branch. Look at Jimmie Ward. Breaking a collarbone diving for a ball. Why? You aren't winning any games in May. Training camp is more valuable than OTAs. Disagree? Julio skipped every single one last year, showed up to training camp in the best condition in a long time because he was able to get healthy, took Ridley under his wing, and they dominated. 

kiwifalcon likes this

9 minutes ago, vel said:

When this is the goal of OTAs:

"The top priority for every organization is always to remain healthy."

I'd rather guys not show up and guarantee their health. Julio is guaranteed to not tear an Achilles at Flowery Branch. Look at Jimmie Ward. Breaking a collarbone diving for a ball. Why? You aren't winning any games in May. Training camp is more valuable than OTAs. Disagree? Julio skipped every single one last year, showed up to training camp in the best condition in a long time because he was able to get healthy, took Ridley under his wing, and they dominated. 

Do you thing Spring football in college is important?

vol·un·tar·y
/ˈvälənˌterē/
adjective

1. 1.
    done, given, or acting of one's own free will.
    "we are funded by voluntary contributions"
    synonyms: optional, discretionary, at one's discretion, elective, noncompulsory, nonmandatory, not required, open, open to choice, volitional, up to the individual; More
vel likes this

We'll see what happens when the Falcons voluntarily let him hit free agency next offseason...

20 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Are we talking pro football or not? I'm not talking about college. You want to start a thread about college, start one. This is about the Atlanta Falcons and NFL OTAs in general. 

8 minutes ago, vel said:

Are we talking pro football or not? I'm not talking about college. You want to start a thread about college, start one. This is about the Atlanta Falcons and NFL OTAs in general. 

The analogy holds.  Organized activities during summer helps players with individual technique.  Coaches start to install the offense.  And just as important the coaches get to see the players on the field and start the evaluation process and set their training objectives for the rest of the offseason.  Seems pretty straight forward.  Why else was Quinn visibly upset when asked why Vic wasn’t in attendance.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

10 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

He is an idiot. This is his chance to work with quinn to turn things around. 

But instead vic wants to crap on quinn who just went against every single falcon fan to giving him another year with mad money. 

..... hate to say it. But we'll see vic walking off the field before the game is over..... again

I agree.  I just don't think he knows how to be a winner.  2016 was a series of him being in the right place at the right time.  I'm not saying he isn't talented, but he could be working on a second or third move with Quinn right now and that is something he has refused to do for five years.  He isn't as fast as he thinks he is and I'm afraid it's people like him on this team that are going to prevent us from getting to the SB this year.  Julio is a beast talent wise.  It pizzes me off he is not their to work with Ryan and work on timing and routes, especially with the youngsters, but at least Julio has the talent to make up for it.  We will see more than one ball thrown early in the year that is off by Ryan and people will go, "Ryan has a weak arm, or can't hit Julio in stride".  No, Julio wasn't at OTA's working on timing with his QB, which is why we have five or six passes every year that look like Ryan is not hitting his target in stride (that and in the past Ryan has defenders in his face all day).  Vick doesn't have to work on that in the off season.  He just has to work on learning to beat an NFL tackle.  Something he doesn't do very well.

duckhoa and mashburn*Fibonacci like this

Should have traded him when we had an offer for him on the table last year. 

I don't know how many times Vic has to show people he doesn't have what it takes to play at high level in a starting 4-3 DE role. He's shown us 3 out of 4 seasons. 

Smh

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

The analogy holds.  Organized activities during summer helps players with individual technique.  Coaches start to install the offense.  And just as important the coaches get to see the players on the field and start the evaluation process and set their training objectives for the rest of the offseason.  Seems pretty straight forward.  

And so when Julio skipped everything last year, that set him back? No. When Brady skipped it last year and this year, did it stop them from winning the SB? No. 

That's my point. Three days isn't doing that much. It's over this week. They won't be back together for a month. It's barely even 24 hours worth of work they did this week. They aren't improving technique in that small of a timespan. They aren't installing anything in three days. The coaches see who's in shape and who isn't. Then they go to the beach and have their time back. 

They did more work with Matt in California than they did at OTAs. That's fact because it's longer than 3 days, and there are no restrictions like what the NFL places. And Julio was there for that. That should tell you what is more valuable. Again, even Hooper pointed to the work he did with Matt out there more than any OTAs or team sanctioned work. The limitations on OTAs make it pointless beyond coaches getting a look at the health and conditioning of the team. 

kiwifalcon likes this

40 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

College football in general is not important.

vel likes this

4 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Until they get paid, agreed. 

3 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Bite your tongue.  You’re in college football capital of the world

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Bite your tongue.  You’re in college football capital of the world

After watching so much pro sports, it is painful to watch a bunch of future accountants get their heads bashed in for free.

Falconsin2012 likes this

26 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The analogy holds.  Organized activities during summer helps players with individual technique.  Coaches start to install the offense.  And just as important the coaches get to see the players on the field and start the evaluation process and set their training objectives for the rest of the offseason.  Seems pretty straight forward.  Why else was Quinn visibly upset when asked why Vic wasn’t in attendance.

You're not installing a **** thing in 3 days.

From a being there with the team standpoint I completely understand why DQ was disappointed and if it were up to me, I'd want him there as well.  As far as the thought that missing a few days of non-contact drills is going to change the trajectory of his season...I can't agree with that at all.

This season will go a long way in determining how the rest of his career goes.  If this is what he feels needs to be done then he better nail it.

7 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

After watching so much pro sports, it is painful to watch a bunch of future accountants get their heads bashed in for free.

What’s odd is college football has way better optics than these new professional leagues.  I bet BAMA would have stomped the Atlanta Legends...

But I get your point

18 hours ago, vel said:

And I maintain the same stance I do with Julio. It's voluntary. They don't have to show up. I don't care. Even if he's been underperforming and struggling, if he feels what he's doing is going to improve his pass rush more than chopping at dummy bags in Flowery Branch, then so be it. 

I don't agree with anybody missing team activities, voluntary or not. If you're on the team, act like it. At least Julio is one of the best at his position and therefore has at least some leverage if he wants to say he's getting better prepared elsewhere.

But Beasley is the worst at his position according to PFF, and Quinn has already informed Beasley he would be having mandatory one-on-one sessions with Quinn to try to get his play ramped up to an acceptable level. I don't go along with the statement he'd be doing nothing more productive than "chopping at dummy bags" if he showed up, considering his lackluster play and Quinn's statement he'd be working with him very intensively.

For Beasley to announce he's not going to attend is an insult to Quinn, the fans and his team mates. (Okay, yeah, I get his team mates don't care, but still). This makes Quinn's decision to keep him instead of dumping him and that expensive contract look even more questionable than it already did.

If his play isn't three times as good as it was last year, Beasley is going to find himself getting roasted on every social media site and on every football show this season because of his highly dubious commitment to improving. 

mqg96 likes this

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't agree with anybody missing team activities, voluntary or not. If you're on the team, act like it. At least Julio is one of the best at his position and therefore has at least some leverage if he wants to say he's getting better prepared elsewhere.

But Beasley is the worst at his position according to PFF, and Quinn has already informed Beasley he would be having mandatory one-on-one sessions with Quinn to try to get his play ramped up to an acceptable level. I don't go along with the statement he'd be doing nothing more productive than "chopping at dummy bags" if he showed up, considering his lackluster play and Quinn's statement he'd be working with him very intensively.

For Beasley to announce he's not going to attend is an insult to Quinn, the fans and his team mates. (Okay, yeah, I get his team mates don't care, but still). This makes Quinn's decision to keep him instead of dumping him and that expensive contract look even more questionable than it already did.

If his play isn't three times as good as it was last year, Beasley is going to find himself getting roasted on every social media site and on every football show this season because of his highly dubious commitment to improving. 

If you're job had a voluntary team building exercise on a Saturday but your child has their first baseball game, are you going to the team building exercise or the baseball game? 

Voluntary. Not required. Vic sucking doesn't change that. DQ can't, by rules, do certain things during OTAs that he will be able to during training camp. It's not an insult, considering he spoke directly with Quinn beforehand. If he didn't show up and didn't communicate, then I'd agree. But that's not the case. Insult to the fans? Lol who cares!

Vic has been to OTAs the last two years. It hasn't done much. So acting as if him showing up this year is going to change anything is the definition of insanity. Hopefully he's trying something new that he thinks is going to work better for him. Same with Grady. I don't care honestly. If Vic sucks come November, it's not going to be because he showed up for OTAs or not. Again, yall are severely overrating three days of jogging around in shorts. 

falconsd56 and kiwifalcon like this

Just now, vel said:

If you're job had a voluntary team building exercise on a Saturday but your child has their first baseball game, are you going to the team building exercise or the baseball game? 

Voluntary. Not required. Vic sucking doesn't change that. DQ can't, by rules, do certain things during OTAs that he will be able to during training camp. It's not an insult, considering he spoke directly with Quinn beforehand. If he didn't show up and didn't communicate, then I'd agree. But that's not the case. Insult to the fans? Lol who cares!

Vic has been to OTAs the last two years. It hasn't done much. So acting as if him showing up this year is going to change anything is the definition of insanity. Hopefully he's trying something new that he thinks is going to work better for him. Same with Grady. I don't care honestly. If Vic sucks come November, it's not going to be because he showed up for OTAs or not. Again, yall are severely overrating three days of jogging around in shorts. 

I definitely agree with the bold statement, but the last two seasons Quinn hadn't said he would work with him. You may well be right; showing up this year might not have lead to any improvement despite Quinn's help. But at least he would've been getting help from the best possible source available. Whatever help he's getting from whoever he's getting it from can't posibly equal what he had right here.

Just now, PokerSteve said:

I definitely agree with the bold statement, but the last two seasons Quinn hadn't said he would work with him. You may well be right; showing up this year might not have lead to any improvement despite Quinn's help. But at least he would've been getting help from the best possible source available. Whatever help he's getting from whoever he's getting it from can't posibly equal what he had right here.

What would have DQ done in three days? That's all I'm asking. 

The physical work players can do with a guy like Chuck Smith, for example, is illegal to do in OTAs. One of Vic's biggest issues is running the arc through contact. It's illegal to practice that in OTAs. If he feels he's making progress with that where he is training, is it really beneficial for him to stop for three days to "play practice" or to keep working in situations closer to what he's trying to improve? 

I mean seriously, Matt wouldn't have started doing the players only camp if they were getting that kind of work at OTAs. That's a real example that yall can't disagree with because Hooper has specifically spoken to how much it helped him and Julio has shown up for that while skipping OTAs. 

kiwifalcon, Vandy and PokerSteve like this