vel

Vic Beasley Skips OTAs

135 posts in this topic

For all the complaining that's been going on about Julio skipping OTAs, interesting to see nothing on Vic Beasley skipping the voluntary workouts. 

Debo and Julio working on rehab, while Vic is just not there. Hope yall got the same injury for a much less proven player...

And I maintain the same stance I do with Julio. It's voluntary. They don't have to show up. I don't care. Even if he's been underperforming and struggling, if he feels what he's doing is going to improve his pass rush more than chopping at dummy bags in Flowery Branch, then so be it. 

1 minute ago, red falcon said:

Not worried about julio he is a proven vet. Vic should be there. They just paid him a lot of money this year. Not to mention dan said he would be working hand and hand with him.

Hey. He led the league in sacks in 2016. He’s still got that beast in him

mqg96, Flying Falcon, vel and 3 others like this

Can they really force him to show up?  Even if they cut him now, he gets paid well.  The only incentive for this guy to perform well in 2019 is to sign a contract somewhere next year.

And, with the Falcons rewarding him with the 2019 option after a joke of a 2018 performance, why should he think he really needs to play hard to get a good contract somewhere next year?

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Hey. He led the league in sacks in 2016. He’s still got that beast in him

I hear you brother. I just know dann bet the farm on em. Same time i dont want him injured running around in shorts. Its like every 4th play he comes up gimpy or limping. 

I guess he isn't interested in hating DQ. I know it's voluntary but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in his decision. With Dirk coming back I'm a little disappointed in Julio's but I understand his situation. Plus OTA injuries makes me glad he isn't there

5 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Can they really force him to show up?  Even if they cut him now, he gets paid well.  The only incentive for this guy to perform well in 2019 is to sign a contract somewhere next year.

And, with the Falcons rewarding him with the 2019 option after a joke of a 2018 performance, why should he think he really needs to play hard to get a good contract somewhere next year?

Why in the **** would they cut him now?

red falcon and TheFatboi like this

10 minutes ago, vel said:

And I maintain the same stance I do with Julio. It's voluntary. They don't have to show up. I don't care. Even if he's been underperforming and struggling, if he feels what he's doing is going to improve his pass rush more than chopping at dummy bags in Flowery Branch, then so be it. 

Yeah, but Beasley is certainly in a different category WRT expectations.

I don't know what he's doing now.  But if it's what he's been doing in previous seasons, I'd rather see him in OTAs.  And whatever it is, he'd best hope it works out for him, because no seat is hotter than his on the entire team right now.

Communicated with his HC, was given everything he would have gotten at OTAs, and is working on his own. 

Yall have to understand the limitations you have at OTAs that you don't working on your own. You can only be so physical at OTAs without penalty from the league. If Vic is trying to work on his rush through contact, for example, it's literally against the rules to do that OTAs. And even still, they can only practice three days this week. Go look at some of what Chuck Smith does with guys and then look at the OTA clips. Entirely different level of intensity. 

13 minutes ago, vel said:

Exactly. Dude has millions on the line based on this next season.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Yeah, but Beasley is certainly in a different category WRT expectations.

I don't know what he's doing now.  But if it's what he's been doing in previous seasons, I'd rather see him in OTAs.  And whatever it is, he'd best hope it works out for him, because no seat is hotter than his on the entire team right now.

Is 3 days going to change that? No. That's my sole point. If Vic is doing the same thing he's been doing, but showed up for 3 days of OTAs, do you really think those 3 days will have an impact? Considering he's never missed OTAs before, no it won't. Vic wasn't an All Pro because he was at OTAs in 2016. Nor was he a bum in 2018 because he was at OTAs. The proof will be in training camp, like it always is. Is Vic in shape? Is Vic applying the classroom work DQ gave him to work on? Is Vic working inside moves? That stuff isn't showing up in a mini camp in May. 

Tim Mazetti and capologist like this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Is 3 days going to change that? No. That's my sole point. If Vic is doing the same thing he's been doing, but showed up for 3 days of OTAs, do you really think those 3 days will have an impact? Considering he's never missed OTAs before, no it won't. Vic wasn't an All Pro because he was at OTAs in 2016. Nor was he a bum in 2018 because he was at OTAs. The proof will be in training camp, like it always is. Is Vic in shape? Is Vic applying the classroom work DQ gave him to work on? Is Vic working inside moves? That stuff isn't showing up in a mini camp in May. 

I mean, you're right to an extent, but DQ was upset he isn't there.  That tells me he isn't pleased with what Vic is doing now.  If DQ isn't pleased with Vic, then I'm not pleased with Vic.

But you're right -- it probably makes no difference in the long run.  Either it's nothing, in which case maybe he has a good season anyway, or it's indicative of a problem (which DQ's response would seem to at least suggest), and he was going to be a problem anyway.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, vel said:

You can only be so physical at OTAs without penalty from the league.

Yep. I think he is working hard because DQ is riding him. Still has great potential, and working on his job.

Edited by Tim Mazetti

4 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Yep. I think he is working hard because DQ is riding him. Still has great potential, and working on his job.

DQ "rode" Trufant last offseason into creating more turnovers and it didn't work. If a player doesn't have that dog in him, not much you can do. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

10 minutes ago, vel said:

Communicated with his HC, was given everything he would have gotten at OTAs, and is working on his own. 

Yall have to understand the limitations you have at OTAs that you don't working on your own. You can only be so physical at OTAs without penalty from the league. If Vic is trying to work on his rush through contact, for example, it's literally against the rules to do that OTAs. And even still, they can only practice three days this week. Go look at some of what Chuck Smith does with guys and then look at the OTA clips. Entirely different level of intensity. 

”but adds that there’s nothing like being with the team for OTAs"

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I mean, you're right to an extent, but DQ was upset he isn't there.  That tells me he isn't pleased with what Vic is doing now.  If DQ isn't pleased with Vic, then I'm not pleased with Vic.

But you're right -- it probably makes no difference in the long run.  Either it's nothing, in which case maybe he has a good season anyway, or it's indicative of a problem (which DQ's response would seem to at least suggest), and he was going to be a problem anyway.

I agree. If anybody should be there, Vic should be, given how much is on him. But 3 days isn't going to change the months of work he's been doing. If he shows up to mini camp having not worked on the things DQ asked him to, then that's an issue that would have been there had he shown up for OTAs just like you said.