birdz4i

Report: Falcons have at least ‘some interest’ in free agent DT Gerald McCoy

138 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

There’s a lot of ways to get McCoy on the team in fact it would be easy.

Its dependent on McCoy though.If he wants a multi year deal forget about it.Pure and simple he won’t be in the long term plans here he’d be strictly a rental.

I mean RS money cut a guy like Bosher or Schweitzer there’s potentially 7-10 mill right there.

We can get him on a one year deal.  Doubt he takes it though

Hate to be the realist here but I am trying to save a lot of you guys more heartache.

GERALD McCOY isn't coming to Atlanta. 

He's 31yrs old and this is probably his LAST best shot to cash-in for as big a contract as he can - both he and his agent know this.   At 31, players want to get as much guaranteed money as they can regardless of length of contract - this is why JULIO is trying to get his extension now as well - 30/31 is a magic age for players knowing their values will be going down in very near future.

Some team that has oodles of cap space that is a contender - like a Colts team for example - will probably fork out and give him a 3yr, $27mm deal with $18mm guaranteed.

McCoy is not going to come to Atlanta and play on a 1 year deal for $5-6mm.

You guys need to be realistic.   Players will almost always do what is in their family's best interest.  Gerald McCoy is not a lifelong Atlanta Falcons fan.  He wants to get paid - as he should.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Hate to be the realist here but I am trying to save a lot of you guys more heartache.

He's 31yrs old and this is probably his LAST best shot to cash-in for as big a contract as he can - both he and his agent know this.   At 31, players want to get as much guaranteed money as they can regardless of length of contract.

Some team that has oodles of cap space that is a contender - like a Colts team for example - will probably fork out and give him a 3yr, $27mm deal with $18mm guaranteed.

You guys need to be realistic.   Players will almost always do what is in their family's best interest.  Gerald McCoy is not a lifelong Atlanta Falcons fan.  He wants to get paid - as he should.

Agreed, but I'm not willing to put it at 0% yet. The same was said about Poe. Til it happened. 

McCoy knows the NFC South. He's very familiar with Koetter and Morris. Just like players want to get paid, players want to go somewhere they feel comfortable and that they'd fit. That's why Poe chose Atlanta over more lucrative contracts. Money isn't always the sole determining factor. If Koetter and Morris convince him to at least consider Atlanta and DQ sells him on what his role could be on the team, don't see why McCoy wouldn't consider it. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Agreed, but I'm not willing to put it at 0% yet. The same was said about Poe. Til it happened. 

McCoy knows the NFC South. He's very familiar with Koetter and Morris. Just like players want to get paid, players want to go somewhere they feel comfortable and that they'd fit. That's why Poe chose Atlanta over more lucrative contracts. Money isn't always the sole determining factor. If Koetter and Morris convince him to at least consider Atlanta and DQ sells him on what his role could be on the team, don't see why McCoy wouldn't consider it. 

Poe was different.  He was 26yrs old coming off a down year and back issues.  He did the one year deal to re-establish his market value.

The only way McCoy takes a one year deal is if the market dictates it but I doubt that to be the case.  McCoy is a hugely popular player with consistent production.  If a team will offer him 2-3yrs and guaranteed money of $15mm+ he will probably jump all over it.

Jumpin Jehosaphat likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Poe was different.  He was 26yrs old coming off a down year and back issues.  He did the one year deal to re-establish his market value.

The only way McCoy takes a one year deal is if the market dictates it but I doubt that to be the case.  McCoy is a hugely popular player with consistent production.  If a team will offer him 2-3yrs and guaranteed money of $15mm+ he will probably jump all over it.

Suh has been on 1 yr deals for how long now? 

I don't know if he gets much beyond a 3 yr deal. At that point, why not take multiple one year deals? They're basically franchise tags, no games played on the contract and hiding money. I see him doing a two year deal at the longest. Falcons could figure that out, but like I said I agree I don't see him coming here. 

Just now, vel said:

Suh has been on 1 yr deals for how long now? 

I don't know if he gets much beyond a 3 yr deal. At that point, why not take multiple one year deals? They're basically franchise tags, no games played on the contract and hiding money. I see him doing a two year deal at the longest. Falcons could figure that out, but like I said I agree I don't see him coming here. 

whether it's a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal or a 3yr deal - it's probably going to be north of $8mm for a 1 year deal.   Falcons don't have the money.

If I was McCoy, I would tell my agent to try and get me a 2-3yr deal - anything with the most guaranteed money possible.

PokerSteve and vel like this

17 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

He's 31yrs old and this is probably his LAST best shot to cash-in for as big a contract as he can - both he and his agent know this.   At 31, players want to get as much guaranteed money as they can regardless of length of contract - this is why JULIO is trying to get his extension now as well - 30/31 is a magic age for players knowing their values will be going down in very near future.

To add to this, I just read that 3 teams with actual cap space right now, including the Browns, are interested

vel and g-dawg like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

whether it's a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal or a 3yr deal - it's probably going to be north of $8mm for a 1 year deal.   Falcons don't have the money.

If I was McCoy, I would tell my agent to try and get me a 2-3yr deal - anything with the most guaranteed money possible.

Again, I agree. $8MM isn't prohibitive in the grand scheme of things. I just don't see them doing it since Grady and Julio aren't solved yet. I think they want the flexibility they currently have to retool the entire DL next offseason and that cap space will be better used next year for a player beyond a short term commitment. McCoy would put a dent in that plan.

kiwifalcon, duckhoa and Ergo Proxy like this

Just now, vel said:

Again, I agree. $8MM isn't prohibitive in the grand scheme of things. I just don't see them doing it since Grady and Julio aren't solved yet. I think they want the flexibility they currently have to retool the entire DL next offseason and that cap space will be better used next year for a player beyond a short term commitment. McCoy would put a dent in that plan.

A one year deal wouldn't keep us from signing someone next year 

25 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We can get him on a one year deal.  Doubt he takes it though

Yep and that’s why the balls in McCoys court I think if we really wanted too we could do it easily.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

But you then can't roll that $8MM or whatever over to next year.

Right now, they have about $7MM in cap space next year with a full enough roster (61 players). They should have about $8MM after Schraeder comes off the books. Add in potential restructures for Julio and Grady and they can have around $10MM this year. Roll that and you've got $17MM next year. That's not a lot, but they can move some money around to clear more. The problem is you have Vic, Debo, Devondre, and Hooper to figure out. That $8MM becomes a bit more precious at that point. 

6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

no it wouldn't - but do you believe a 31yr old wants a one year deal if he can get more?   Also,  Falcons are up against the cap already.   just to sign McCoy to a 1 year deal they would have to get either Grady or Julio signed.

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Right now, they have about $7MM in cap space next year with a full enough roster (61 players). They should have about $8MM after Schraeder comes off the books. Add in potential restructures for Julio and Grady and they can have around $10MM this year. Roll that and you've got $17MM next year. That's not a lot, but they can move some money around to clear more. The problem is you have Vic, Debo, Devondre, and Hooper to figure out. That $8MM becomes a bit more precious at that point. 

We have 17 next year. Where did you get the 7m number?

Just now, g-dawg said:

no it wouldn't - but do you believe a 31yr old wants a one year deal if he can get more?   Also,  Falcons are up against the cap already.   just to sign McCoy to a 1 year deal they would have to get either Grady or Julio signed.

Where did I say he'd sign for a one year deal? Where did I even suggest I think he would? All I said is a one year deal doesn't hurt us next year.

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

We have 17 next year. Where did you get the 7m number?

Spotrac

37 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Dude isn't winning a ring in CLE or BAL. The Colts are interesting, but they have been extremely frugal. Not only does he know the coaches in ATL, but he knows the offense is there to always remain competitive.

The Falcons have way more money than we were thought to believe and could easily move around Wes or Bosher, two guys undeserving of the money they are making. 

NeonDeion likes this

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

See that now, it's odd how these sites can be so far apart from one another.

Yea I use it as a reference of "about" how much cap we have, but not for accuracy. Shouldn't be a $10MM difference though. 

PokerSteve and Yo_Lover like this

21 minutes ago, vel said:

This it’s always about positioning.

The McCoy thing is just a name association and fans love seeing that.Big picture is how your post explains it pretty well.I believe if we wanted to we could sign McCoy easily but it a rob Peter to Pay Paul move and at some stage we would be paying the piper by not being able to possibly sign a future piece.

Its always about the future in the NFL for me even though your teams in a window.I don’t go all in to me that smells of desperation and I don’t think it’s good business and that’s what the successful franchises are basically long term viable businesses the ones who have that all in type of mentality are picking early every draft.

AlabamaFalconFan, g-dawg and vel like this

17 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This it’s always about positioning.

The McCoy thing is just a name association and fans love seeing that.Big picture is how your post explains it pretty well.I believe if we wanted to we could sign McCoy easily but it a rob Peter to Pay Paul move and at some stage we would be paying the piper by not being able to possibly sign a future piece.

Its always about the future in the NFL for me even though your teams in a window.I don’t go all in to me that smells of desperation and I don’t think it’s good business and that’s what the successful franchises are basically long term viable businesses the ones who have that all in type of mentality are picking early every draft.

Pretty much. So long as Matt has gas in the tank, it's our window. If we were fresh off an NFCCG appearance and were close, go get him. The Saints, as much as I hate to say it, are the perfect landing spot for him. This is their last shot. This isn't our last shot. Not by a long shot. Just keep building. 

kiwifalcon likes this