birdz4i

Report: Falcons have at least ‘some interest’ in free agent DT Gerald McCoy

138 posts in this topic

What a world it would be if McCoy were a Falcon.

By Cory Woodroof@CoryWoodroof47  May 23, 2019, 10:42am EDT

usa_today_11313209.0.jpg

Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports

As many of you know, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers swapped out defensive tackles recently, releasing long-time force Gerald McCoy in exchange for a one-year, more cost friendly deal with Ndamukong Suh.

The move sends one of the league’s better defensive tackles into the free agent pool, and gives many an Atlanta Falcons fan dreams of landing such a big fish at this stage in the offseason.

Well, it looks like those dreams might be a little more realistic than any of us previously thought. It looks like Atlanta’s contemplating bringing in McCoy, at least in a sense.

Now there are a lot of teams on that list McCoy could join, including the cash-flush Colts, upstart Browns and perennial contending Patriots (and, y’know, the Aints). Why McCoy would want to go to the Bengals is anyone’s guess, so we’ll leave them out for now.

It’s very reassuring to see the Falcons listed, and it certainly makes sense. His recent head coach Dirk Koetter is now with the Falcons, as is the coach who drafted him, Raheem Morris. Though, both are on the offensive side of the ball.

The Falcons have a need at defensive tackle, if maybe one not quite as bad as we all thought when you look at who’s present. Pairing McCoy next to Grady Jarrett would give the team a tandem of monster trucks in the middle to set the tone for the defense and would make fans feel a lot better about the unit as a whole.

But it’s going to be tough for Atlanta to pull this off. While they get some cap relief when the Ryan Schraeder deal comes off the books on June 1, the team still doesn’t have a ton of money to work with right now until the deals for Julio Jones and Jarrett are complete.

Also note that striking a deal with McCoy could make the Falcons’ negotiations for Jarrett just a little harder, in a “you just paid this guy a ton of money, so why can’t you pay my guy what we’re asking?” type of situation. No guarantees that’d be the case, though.

The Colts and Browns have plenty of cash to pay McCoy what he was making in Tampa Bay at the time of his release (if not a little more), and they could strike a multi-year contract to give him some assurance as he enters the latter part of his career.

The Patriots give him, well, a chance to play for the Patriots.

He’d have to be sold on Atlanta’s future, be interested in the idea of playing next to Jarrett and have fond memories of Koetter and Morris for this to work. He’d also probably have to take a little bit of a pay cut since other teams can absolutely compensate him more.

Maybe Dan Quinn, who’s convinced people to stick around in Flowery Branch before, could help here?

It’s a fun idea to think about, even if Atlanta is not the most likely destination for him to land. If this were to somehow work in the Falcons’ favor, you’d feel much better about the defensive line, which in turn makes it much easier to be confident in 2019’s prospects as a whole.

We’re just glad Atlanta’s reportedly giving this a go, regardless of the outcome.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/5/23/18637097/falcons-interest-free-agent-dt-gerald-mccoy-bucs

9 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

The FO should finalize Garrett's and Julio's contracts and free up the money to bring'em home. He could be the last key piece of the defensive puzzle for us.

But we know they ain't, so........

PokerSteve likes this

2 minutes ago, mountain_jim3 said:

72 hours is not enough time to get Ryan Schraeder money back, so not a good thing to hear for Atlanta chances.

Extend Julio.  Extend Grady.  Move around Jake's contract to bonus money, we would have more than enough.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

18 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

The FO should finalize Garrett's and Julio's contracts and free up the money to bring'em home. He could be the last key piece of the defensive puzzle for us.

Grady isn’t coming off the TAG.  Extend Julio to free up a few million.  Then cut Wes. If we extend Grady & Julio, you can only backload one of them.  So the other extension would add no value.  Need to wait for Vic to fall off before extending Grady

11 minutes ago, athell said:

lol @Vandy

Also, in regards to the OP, just heard on NFL Live that McCoy stated he expects to know where he is going within the next 72 hours.

Fingers crossed!

Watch it be the f'ing Aints

I just don't know if we can pull it off.....

Atl Falcon, rudy, athell and 1 other like this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Grady isn’t coming off the TAG.  Extend Julio to free up a few million.  Then cut Wes. If we extend Grady & Julio, you can only backload one of them.  So the other extension would add no value.  Need to wait for Vic to fall off before extending Grady

No they don't.

And TD is on record as saying Grady's extension is their top priority.

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Man I hope not lol.

We can absolutely pull it off.  Question is, do they really want to?

Nope, they dont. Quinn will put out a statement saying something like "We're good with the DTs we have on the roster. We dont need anymore. We will just promote one from the practice squad for Steven Means spot. "

Just now, Flying Falcon said:

Nope, they dont. Quinn will put out a statement saying something like "We're good with the DTs we have on the roster. We dont need anymore. We will just promote one from the practice squad for Means. "

The one thing that gives me hope is he didn't waste a pick on some random dude so he has no ties at the position.  All that said, you are probably absolutely right.

7 minutes ago, athell said:

No they don't.

And TD is on record as saying Grady's extension is their top priority.

The sky is blue...

There’s a lot of ways to get McCoy on the team in fact it would be easy.

Its dependent on McCoy though.If he wants a multi year deal forget about it.Pure and simple he won’t be in the long term plans here he’d be strictly a rental.

I mean RS money cut a guy like Bosher or Schweitzer there’s potentially 7-10 mill right there.

NeonDeion likes this

1 minute ago, athell said:

Man I hope not lol.

We can absolutely pull it off.  Question is, do they really want to?

That's the big question.

Do we try to move some money around for McCoy, or is DQ confident with the current roster and his ability to coach up VB and Takk? Personally I can see Quinn going with the latter in the end, but I wouldn't mind if we could get McCoy. It's just that with the players that need to be paid, I don't know if we can offer enough for McCoy to chose to come here. I know we lost Means and he did well for the few games he was in, but he was still more depth than anything else IMHO.

athell likes this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’d give solid odds that Julio & Debo are extended first

I'd say Julio will get done first.

Then Grady.

Though I expect nothing in the next 72 hours so...

Just now, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

That's the big question.

Do we try to move some money around for McCoy, or is DQ confident with the current roster and his ability to coach up VB and Takk? Personally I can see Quinn going with the latter in the end, but I wouldn't mind if we could get McCoy. It's just that with the players that need to be paid, I don't know if we can offer enough for McCoy to chose to come here. I know we lost Means and he did well for the few games he was in, but he was still more depth than anything else IMHO.

Same.

Though he kinda surprised us with Poe, so maybe he will surprise us again.