gazoo

State of The Falcons- Are we a Super Bowl Contender this year?

115 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Quoting this so it cant be edited.

We'll see where things stand at the end of the season. Hopefully it is with us in the mix for a championship

Don't tell me you're going to bump this thread 6-7 months from now

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Don't tell me you're going to bump this thread 6-7 months from now

Its the typical TAFT. Cheer on. Be a homer. Then spread misinformation about what went wrong when your underlined statements don't hold up.

Yes be excited, but be objective. People who bring up valid concerns usually get shouted down by the clique. Thats the TAFT way, mob mentality. Critical thinking is looked down upon. "Youre gonna bump a thread"... Why , you scared?

There are concerns with returning injured players Neal and Rico and Devonta after missing nearly an entire season. A DT that hasn't played in 2 years and is suspended for 2 games. Theres the 60% new oline, how will they come together? Our FS is now our Slot cb, its a position he doesn't have a lot of play time at. We have a new starting outside CB. How will he do full time? There's new coaches with a mix of new scheme and old scheme, new route running for people to learn. Will the contract process of Grady and Julio be a distraction? Julio missed some camp last year so don't just immediately wave it off. These are things that can be issues for us.

Sure we can all scream SB, but we have only had a top 10 def 2 times no matter how many times Gazoo wants to underline it in his post. If we cant stop the run, just like we couldn't last year, it doesn't matter how great your offensive line is, you aren't getting the ball back and the clock is getting run out on you.

There are concerns. But only like 2 people in the whole TAFT are willing to have intelligent, open discussion about it. The rest spew "hageman is a beast!". 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

14 hours ago, gazoo said:

Ok, I’m going to have to address this I see. 

First, I believe Falcons WILL have a top 10 defense in points allowed.

In 2017 the Falcons defense was #8 in scoring and #9 in yards allowed. We get back several players, including Clayborn, Deion Jones, Hageman, Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, not to mention some rookies that were playing well by end of season in Foye and Senat, addition of Kazee and Davison who were here in 2017 and some good depth at safety. I believe Oliver will be better than the 2017 Alford was. May take him a few games but he’s got more talent that Alford had. We also get DQ back as coordinator.  That’s a big deal bruh.

Secondly, Your defense doesn’t give up a single point or yard while your offense is on the field. 

Too many here see the game in a single dimension, but it’s more complex than that. A really good offense with a really good offensive line that can control games by running the ball has a big impact on a defense. We got bigger and stronger on OL, better blockers at TE, and a great big huge power running back. A defense plays far better when it’s fresh than if it’s wiped out from being on the field too many snaps. A big offensive line allows your offense to control the ball and give you defense a break if it needs it. Also allows a team to just run the ball like crazy late in a game where they have a big lead. 

And lastly, even though I strongly believe we will be top 10 defense in points allowed, many teams have won a Super Bowl with average or even bad defenses. The Falcons had the 2016 Super Bowl actually won, with the 25th ranked defense in yards and 27th ranked in points. Coaches gave that game back, but players had the game won.

Ae are built for a dynamic overwhelming offense just as the Colts were when they won and the Saints were when they won it, same with Giants. But we will have a much better defense than they did the years they won it.

We have a top pocket passer QB in his prime with a good OL now and tons of weapons. We will be an offensive juggernaut this year.  The Saints won the Super Bowl with the 25th ranked defense in yards and 20th in points allowed. The Giants won it with 27th ranked defense in yards and 25th in points allowed. The Colts won it with the 21st ranked defense in yards and 23rd ranked in points allowed. 

And again, the wealth of additions to running game by Mularkey, a bigger, stronger nastier  OL, more utilization of blocking  TEs and the monster RB will improve our defense standings simply as a product of ball control.

Well, you know I agree with this,, I made a post right after the draft almost identical to this one.. And about the same length ,, pointing out the same upgrades.. added to all the talent we already have. So.. you know I agree with this post!  But hey!! I hope somebody else makes another one so I can read it too.. And people would say why?   Because I use like hearing it !!!      :mmmhmm:

gazoo likes this

14 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

And ATL went 7-9. Barely. Now they are Super Bowl bound. Only on TATF.

I need an honest answer:  if we play our A game, who on that list still beats us?

55 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Its the typical TAFT. Cheer on. Be a homer. Then spread misinformation about what went wrong when your underlined statements don't hold up.

Yes be excited, but be objective. People who bring up valid concerns usually get shouted down by the clique. Thats the TAFT way, mob mentality. Critical thinking is looked down upon. "Youre gonna bump a thread"... Why , you scared?

There are concerns with returning injured players Neal and Rico and Devonta after missing nearly an entire season. A DT that hasn't played in 2 years and is suspended for 2 games. Theres the 60% new oline, how will they come together? Our FS is now our Slot cb, its a position he doesn't have a lot of play time at. We have a new starting outside CB. How will he do full time? There's new coaches with a mix of new scheme and old scheme, new route running for people to learn. Will the contract process of Grady and Julio be a distraction? Julio missed some camp last year so don't just immediately wave it off. These are things that can be issues for us.

Sure we can all scream SB, but we have only had a top 10 def 2 times no matter how many times Gazoo wants to underline it in his post. If we cant stop the run, just like we couldn't last year, it doesn't matter how great your offensive line is, you aren't getting the ball back and the clock is getting run out on you.

There are concerns. But only like 2 people in the whole TAFT are willing to have intelligent, open discussion about it. The rest spew "hageman is a beast!". 

So yay or nay?

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

No clue what you're referring to but okey dokey.

You made no effort to add value into the thread. I see how you have 59k posts. Instead you post 1 liners and 4 word sentence posts.

No addition to the thread. No discussion.

Just Troll.  

There now you have a clue! First one is free!

2 minutes ago, runshoot said:

You made no effort to add value into the thread. I see how you have 59k posts. Instead you post 1 liners and 4 word sentence posts.

No addition to the thread. No discussion.

Just Troll.  

There now you have a clue! First one is free!

Strange me and OP were conversating back and forth early into the thread. I asked you a simple question and you spewed off a whole lot of crap that meant absolutely nothing. Thanks for paying attention to my post count. If only it was relevant to any discussion. If you wanna act stupid over such a simple question, do you.

gazoo likes this

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Strange me and OP were conversating back and forth early into the thread. I asked you a simple question and you spewed off a whole lot of crap that meant absolutely nothing. Thanks for paying attention to my post count. If only it was relevant to any discussion. If you wanna act stupid over such a simple question, do you.

You are irrelevant to the discussion. I was quoting him so that the discussion can continue without shannegans. You stepped in to ask a juvenile question. I asked you a question in return. You didnt answer either....

So you trolled with ya or nah. 

Don't jump in when the grown folks are talking if you can't add to the convo....bruh.

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

You are mischaracterizing my analysis in OP and follow up post. You say only 2 people in TATF are willing to acknowledge there are concerns? I have posts all over this message board this offseason about my areas of concern that go into great detail, far more than I touched on in this thread.  Do I need to repeat them in great detail on every thread for you so you don’t call me names? 

Did you miss this quoted paragraph  in OP?

Do some things have to go our way for us to actually get to the Super Bowl? Absolutely, same with every other team. A lot has to go right for any team to beat out 31 others.  We need our young guys to step up, Oliver is a big piece of it. I’d say our secondary is my biggest area of concern at this point, everything else looks solid to me.” 

Maybe you missed this paragraph as well:

“ I’m not predicting we will win the Super Bowl, I’m saying this roster has the talent to win oneA lot has to go right moving forward throughout the season to get there, and there are plenty of other teams that have the talent to win one at this point.

Do you believe it is homer to state this team has the talent to be a contender, as in, this team has the talent to be one of several teams in the playoff hunt at end of year if we stay healthy? If your answer is yes, you actually agree with me.

Secondly, where has anyone been “shot down” with valid criticisms on this thread? 

Guys like you just attack instead of discuss. You have some weird, visceral reaction to a positive projection and start throwing rotten fruit at the thread, making false accusations, mischaracterizing the nature of it.  Dude, we all know a lot of things have to go right to actually get there.

ya_boi_j likes this

25 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I think that dude is off his meds or something. You clearly had a different take than my OP and we had a respectful point, counterpoint discussion. You added value to the thread.

Yet, he shows up on the thread and starts attacking everyone, making threats, distorting comments and then claiming others aren’t adding to the discussion?

Wow, just wow. 

ya_boi_j likes this

16 minutes ago, runshoot said:

You are irrelevant to the discussion. I was quoting him so that the discussion can continue without shannegans. You stepped in to ask a juvenile question. I asked you a question in return. You didnt answer either....

So you trolled with ya or nah. 

Don't jump in when the grown folks are talking if you can't add to the convo....bruh.

LMAO like I said, if you wanna act stupid, do you. LMAO dude really got offended over a small question

11 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I think that dude is off his meds or something. Your clearly had a different take than my OP and we had a respectful point, counterpoint discussion. You added value to the thread.

Yet, he shows up on the thread and starts attacking everyone, making threats, distorting comments and then claiming others aren’t adding to the discussion?

Wow, just wow. 

Peeps will be peeps. I didn't think it was out of line to ask if he was going to bump the thread at the end of the season but apparently it touched a soft spot in his dome.

gazoo likes this

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Peeps will be peeps. I didn't think it was out of line to ask if he was going to bump the thread at the end of the season but apparently it touched a soft spot in his dome.

:lol:

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

LMAO like I said, if you wanna act stupid, do you. LMAO dude really got offended over a small question

I think he has a persecution complex. He hops on a good discussion thread, starts throwing bombs, making threats, claiming phantom posters are attacking those here who express areas of concern, claims only 2 posters of the 5000 posters with accounts here acknowledge the existence of any concerns, then tells others they are robbing from quality debate? 

Wow

My OP clearly states there are areas of concern, my biggest the secondary, that our young players are going to have to step up, I was clear there are many teams in NFL that are also contenders, that my position at this point is that we have the talent on the roster, but many things have to go our way  for it to happen.

He’s arguing with people who don’t exist.

ya_boi_j likes this

16 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I think he has a persecution complex. He hops on a good discussion thread, starts throwing bombs, making threats, claiming phantom posters are attacking those here who express areas of concern, claims only 2 posters of the 5000 posters with accounts here acknowledge the existence of any concerns, then tells others they are robbing from quality debate? 

Wow

My OP clearly states there are areas of concern, my biggest the secondary, that our young players are going to have to step up, I was clear there are many teams in NFL that are also contenders, that my position at this point is that we have the talent on the roster, but many things have to go our way  for it to happen.

He’s arguing with people who don’t exist.

Some people wouldn't know a decent conversation if it slapped them in the face. I talk a lot of **** on here but when there's a legit conversation to be had, I dive in as best as I can, although I don't know nearly as much as some of you lol. Gotta be willing to take other's opinion and be willing to disagree without the extra stuff

gazoo likes this

12 hours ago, gazoo said:

Where’d you go in East Africa? I’ve been to Kenya.

Yep, there are several projected  NFC contenders along with us at this point.

i’m certain our offense will be a juggernaut, al, we need is for this defense to put it all tougher. We were 7th in yards and 8 in,points allowed in defense in 2017, if we can get back there or better we will be in great shape.

Rwanda (9 days) and Kenya (3 days). Loved it. 

If Falcons' key players stay healthy, i like ATL's chances as well as any team

gazoo likes this

3 hours ago, runshoot said:

I got us playing sloppy and losing week 1 at Minnesota but by week 2 I think we start kicking @$$!

gazoo likes this

37 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I got us playing sloppy and losing week 1 at Minnesota but by week 2 I think we start kicking @$$!

I do believe things, in running game particularly, could be a little bumpy out of the gate with so many changes and new faces. There will be growing pains, they come with the territory.

In looking at the season as a whole, what is most important to me is that we tighten up during the first quarter, and by time we hit mid season and the gauntlet of division games is upon us and then the playoffs, we are cranking at full capacity. 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Rwanda (9 days) and Kenya (3 days). Loved it. 

If Falcons' key players stay healthy, i like ATL's chances as well as any team

I did a 4 day Masai Mara safari in Kenya with multiple game drives each day, the most incredible experience of my lifetime. Ive been to Africa several times and I’m with you, it’s a wonderful experience.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I did a 4 day Masai Mara safari in Kenya with multiple game drives each day, the most incredible experience of my lifetime. Ive been to Africa several times and I’m with you, it’s a wonderful experience.

That’s awesome., I’m jealous.  Were you there for the infamous crossing of the Mara when the crocs take care of business?

Posted (edited)

I think we can be a contender once again. Keep the defense healthy but I think this 'upgraded' OL must EXECUTE and show they're an upgraded line. We MUST convert the 3rd/4th downs with less than two yards into first downs and especially in the Red Zone/Goal Line.  IF we can do that, then that tilts the time of possession to our favor and impacts BOTH defenses leaving ours fresh and rested and leaving the opposition's tired and sucking wind in the 4th quarter.  Do that, and we're at least a 12-4 team next season and back into the playoff/SB hunt.

Edited by falconfansince66

7 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

I think we can be a contender once again. Keep the defense healthy but I think this 'upgraded' OL must EXECUTE and show they're an upgraded line. We MUST convert the 3rd/4th downs with less than two yards into first downs and especially in the Red Zone/Goal Line.  IF we can do that, then that tilts the time of possession to our favor and impacts BOTH defenses leaving ours fresh and rested and leaving the opposition's tired and sucking wind in the 4th quarter.  Do that, and we're at least a 12-4 team next season and back into the playoff/SB hunt.

Yep, one of the contingencies in my OP is our young guys on both sides of ball have to step up. Oliver and our rookies have a window in first part of season to experience some growing pains, but this team needs to be firing on all cylinders come mid season before we start the division games and the playoffs. 

falconfansince66 likes this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Yep, one of the contingencies in my OP is our young guys all of our players have to step up. 

Fixed it!