gazoo

State of The Falcons- Are we a Super Bowl Contender this year?

115 posts in this topic

A contender is defined as a group competing with others for something.  Going by the dictionary definition of contender, which is what I’m doing, of course we are contenders for a Super Bowl run in 2019.  Of course we have the talent on this team to compete with any other NFL team. 

Our team is stacked with talent folks. Before the draft SI had us rated the 3rd most talented team in the NFL.

We have all the critical pieces necessary to win a championship this year and just added a bunch of youth, talent, depth, nastiness, power and mass to our OL. I’m not predicting we will win the Super Bowl, I’m saying this roster has the talent to win one. A lot has to go right moving forward throughout the season to get there, and there are plenty of other teams that have the talent to win one at this point. 

We have one of the best QBs in the NFL if not THE best at this point. Brees and Brady are dropping in ability  (I submit Brady has been in decline a while but the structure around him, including a brilliant head coach designing game plans, helps masks it) Keep in mind the Patriots had the NFLs #1 rated defense in points allowed when Ryan faced Brady in Super Bowl. Brady faced the NFLs #25th ranked Atlanta defense. You switch those defenses and Ryan destroys Brady in Super Bowl. 

We added the kind of experienced NFL coaching we desperately needed to improve our running game, drafted a big power running back to the mix, and brought back a known success with Ryan for our passing game in Dirk Keotter. I expect our offense to not just be one of the best in the NFL, I expect it to be able to impose its will on teams any way it wants, including running the ball down a defenses throat even when they know it’s coming. Goal line, short yardage, running down the clock late in game. The OL changes are a really big deal that many of us have been pointing to for years as our Achilles heel.

Our fans seem to to think our problem going into 2019 is our defense. First off, keep in mind this team is built to be an offensive juggernaut, so if you are the type of fan who expects this team to be #1 if offense and #1 in defense or else we   but I believe they’ve ignored the progression of the 2017 defensive play where young players were all starting to gel,  and instead allowed the shellacking we took last year on defense DUE TO INJURIES to skew their current assessment on it. We have a ton of talent on defense. Grady Jarret is one of the best young DTs in the league, Jack Crawford a very good rotational piece on passing downs. Trufant is still one of the better#1  CBs in NFL. Deion Jones May be the best MLB in the NFL right now. Keanu Neal is Uber talented, and we have a lot of young highly talented guys coming back like Kazee, Senat, , Foye, Oliver , etc. We signed Clayborn,  Hageman and Davison which are all improvements over last years rotational guys. 

You are worried about sacks? Takk, Beasley, Clayborn, Crawford, Hageman should be fine on passing downs. Only one team had less sacks than the Super Bowl winner Patriots last year. They had 30 regular season sacks.  In 2016, the Patriots won the Super Bowl with their defense getting 34 regular season sacks. The Falcons had 37 sacks last year and I expect that number to increase in 2019. So I’m not worried about sacks. 

Do some things have to go our way for us to actually get to the Super Bowl? Absolutely, same with every other team. A lot has to go right for any team to beat out 31 others.  We need our young guys to step up, Oliver is a big piece of it. I’d say our secondary is my biggest area of concern at this point, everything else looks solid to me. 

Spin Prevention: This analysis is based on the reality of a salary cap. Of course I would like to sign a couple of dominant veteran  DL this offseason, many positions could be upgraded, just like every other team. But we have limited resources, and I am of the view fixing a broken offensive line was a quicker way to the Super Bowl than spending those same recourses on the DL this year. We DID improve our DL, just not with all pros and 1st rounders. I think our DL rotation will be very good this year. 

PokerSteve and FalconsIn2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We have had a Super Bowl roster for the last three years.  Nothing has changed outside of adding more quality depth. 

Link? Sark, Manuel And Armstrong might disagree then being fired doesn’t qualify as a change.

Mularkey would totally disagree as far as our OL/TEs

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unquestionably the Falcons have the talent to be legit contenders for a SB run this season. As you said, a lot of things still have to go the Falcon's way for it to happen, but we can all be very optimistic.

We have to avoid injuries to key players, we have to avoid getting crapped on by the idiot zebras, players like Shede, Beasley and Takk have to step up their games. And, at least some of the draft picks have to come in and make an immediate impact.

But, looking at the big picture of how this team stacks up against every other team in the NFL, nobody else's chances look much better than ours to make it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Link? Sark, Manuel And Armstrong might disagree then being fired doesn’t qualify as a change.

Mularkey would totally disagree as far as our OL/TEs

Then I guess we aren’t a SB roster anymore if you’re disagreeing with what I said.

Yes, we’ve also upgraded all 3 Coordinator positions.

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Unquestionably the Falcons have the talent to be legit contenders for a SB run this season. As you said, a lot of things still have to go the Falcon's way for it to happen, but we can all be very optimistic.

We have to avoid injuries to key players, we have to avoid getting crapped on by the idiot zebras, players like Shede, Beasley and Takk have to step up their games. And, at least some of the draft picks have to come in and make an immediate impact.

But, looking at the big picture of how this team stacks up against every other team in the NFL, nobody else's chances look much better than ours to make it happen.

That’s a great was to put it Steve.  I would also add, most teams chances look much worse than ours!

 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Having the talent is one thing. Putting it together is another. Gotta wait to see how the final product looks for a few games before determining if they can actually be super bowl contenders or not

So your point is nobody is a Super Bowl contender yet, since every team is in same position, every team has made a lot of changes that require seeing how the final product is. Patriots made a ton of changes.

I see this differently, sort of my own pre season power ranking.

I think we are way already of most NFL teams already based on talent. Next phase is getting on the field but even then many teams tank in second half of season so you couldn’t even say after half the season any team is a contender based on your definition it would seem. 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, runshoot said:

NFL: "defense wins championships"

AB/TD/TAFT: "Shut up, meg"

Who said we weren’t going to have a good defense? I think we will have a very good defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

So your point is nobody is a Super Bowl contender yet, since every team is in same position, every team has made a lot of changes that require seeing how the final product is. Patriots made a ton of changes.

I see this differently, sort of my own pre season power ranking.

I think we are way already of most NFL teams already based on talent. Next phase is getting on the field but even then many teams tank in second half of season so you couldn’t even say after half the season any team is a contender based on your definition it would seem. 

right now every single team is 0-0. not a single soul knows what will transpire between now and January that will decide a teams fate, see last season. its easy to be a homer and its expected but you also have to consider reality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Then I guess we aren’t a SB roster anymore if you’re disagreeing with what I said.

Yes, we’ve also upgraded all 3 Coordinator positions.

I see what you did there, reached into the Toolbag of Gazoo  :rolleyes:

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

right now every single team is 0-0. not a single soul knows what will transpire between now and January that will decide a teams fate, see last season. its easy to be a homer and its expected but you also have to consider reality

Your point isn’t wrong, it’s a matter of perspective, just like my point is a matter of perspective. 

Your perspective is one of an actual future outcome, but mine is a projection based on current data. 

Compete, contend, these are terms people can apply their own meaning to, to a degree. 

The concept of NFL power rankings is more my way of seeing things. We will have many pundits and former players predict which teams have best chance to win their divisions and which handful of teams have the best shot at the Super Bowl in each conference, all before the first preseason game. In fact, I believe I’ve already seen prediction from a sports writer prediction Saints will win division. 

 

ya_boi_j and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Your point isn’t wrong, it’s a matter of perspective, just like my point is a matter of perspective. 

Compete, contend, these are terms people can apply their own meaning to, to a degree. 

The concept of NFL power rankings is more my way of seeing things. We will have many pundits and former players predict which teams have best chance to win their divisions and which handful of teams have the best shot at the Super Bowl in each conference, all before the first preseason game. In fact, I believe I’ve already seen prediction from a sports writer prediction Saints will win division. 

 

Here's the thing, all that power ranking and prediction stuff, it doesn't mean much when it comes to reality. That's why it's extremely rare you'll see me ranking teams, players, coaches, etc or making bold predictions before a single snap is made. Even the most talented teams can face their own adversity and not be able to bounce back.

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Here's the thing, all that power ranking and prediction stuff, it doesn't mean much when it comes to reality. That's why it's extremely rare you'll see me ranking teams, players, coaches, etc or making bold predictions before a single snap is made. Even the most talented teams can face their own adversity and not be able to bounce back.

That’s it, that’s the difference in perspective. 

Your perspective is one of an actual future outcome, mine is a projection based on current data. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, it’s more of what model,we are using in our analysis. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We have had a Super Bowl roster for the last three years.  Nothing has changed outside of adding more quality depth. 

:o  Nothing has changed..???!! Wow,, you lost me with that line.. I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY OFF SEASON WE'VE EVER HAD THAT HAS HAD SO MANY CHANGES.. 

And let me add.. all changes have been Awesome.. I"m stocked man.. to get in FAcy and the Draft exactly what we needed..  In years past,, it was awful to watch an off season knowing we didn't do didly squat!!! I'll say it again , Best off season pick up and Draft all around,, And best draft for our needs, , that I've ever witnessed as a Fan.. of this team..  I agree with Gazoo .. Best off season ever IMO>  If Ryan stays healthy , i don't see us not making it back to the Superbowl this year.

  Oh ,, and just add this post to about 3 others I've already made saying the same thing... :tiphat:

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gazoo said:

That’s it, that’s the difference in perspective. 

Your perspective is one of an actual future outcome, mine is a projection based on current data. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, it’s more of what model,we are using to come to our conclusions.

 

I never said anything about being right or wrong. That's never my approach. You're giving me feedback to my opinion and i'm giving you feedback to yours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great analysis I think we have a great opportunity but certain teams stand in our way (NO and Car come to mind) if we go at least 4-2 in the division and split the AFC we have a really great shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe we are, yes.  Talent hasn't been our issue.  Health (last year) and coaching has been our issue.  If we can stay healthy, and DQ can fix this defense like has been the promise all along, and not stick his head directly into his butt during critical situations, I like our chances as much as anyone else.

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nolove4thecrook said:

Great analysis I think we have a great opportunity but certain teams stand in our way (NO and Car come to mind) if we go at least 4-2 in the division and split the AFC we have a really great shot.

IMO,, it wont be Carolina or TB that will get in our way..  N.O. yes.. But we can beat them this year with our huge upgrade on the OL.. but if we can get around N.O. ,, NO one will be able to stop us get back the the SB.

nolove4thecrook likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Draftnut57 said:

:o  Nothing has changed..???!! Wow,, you lost me with that line.. I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY OFF SEASON WE'VE EVER HAD THAT HAS HAD SO MANY CHANGES.. 

And let me add.. all changes have been Awesome.. I"m stocked man.. to get in FAcy and the Draft exactly what we needed..  In years past,, it was awful to watch an off season knowing we didn't do didly squat!!! I'll say it again , Best off season pick up and Draft all around,, And best draft for our needs, , that I've ever witnessed as a Fan.. of this team..  I agree with Gazoo .. Best off season ever IMO>  If Ryan stays healthy , i don't see us not making it back to the Superbowl this year.

  Oh ,, and just add this post to about 3 others I've already made saying the same thing... :tiphat:

I believe the OL fix is going to be an enormous, epic boost to this teams ability to put opponents away, even the very best of them. Being able to give Ryan a real pocket to drop back into in critical game situations, and giving him an OL that can play smash-mouth football in running game is going to show up the most against divisional teams and even more importantly against the better playoff teams. If we had this OL we would have beaten the Eagles in 2017 playoffs. 

And the false assumption is our defense will be no better than last year bwcuase we didn’t do anything to fix it. This is also nonsense on many levels. Just because we didn’t sign a 480lb DT or use our top pick in draft on a DT, doesn’t mean the defense will be no better in 2019. It’s going to be much better.

 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, athell said:

I believe we are, yes.  Talent hasn't been our issue.  Health (last year) and coaching has been our issue.  If we can stay healthy, and DQ can fix this defense like has been the promise all along, and not stick his head directly into his butt during critical situations, I like our chances as much as anyone else.

I agree 100 %.. And that is why Blank brought back the Coach that can get us where we want to go.;)

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

:o  Nothing has changed..???!! Wow,, you lost me with that line.. I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY OFF SEASON WE'VE EVER HAD THAT HAS HAD SO MANY CHANGES.. 

And let me add.. all changes have been Awesome.. I"m stocked man.. to get in FAcy and the Draft exactly what we needed..  In years past,, it was awful to watch an off season knowing we didn't do didly squat!!! I'll say it again , Best off season pick up and Draft all around,, And best draft for our needs, , that I've ever witnessed as a Fan.. of this team..  I agree with Gazoo .. Best off season ever IMO>  If Ryan stays healthy , i don't see us not making it back to the Superbowl this year.

  Oh ,, and just add this post to about 3 others I've already made saying the same thing... :tiphat:

You misunderstand.  Nothing has changed in terms of us still having a SB roster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now