falcons007

Noodle Arm edition: Last three years top 3 QB rankings.

40 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

What? Chargers have been loaded for a decade with terrible coaching 

How? They've rarely had an above average defense and their OLine has been trash since Rivers has gotten there. They've usually had one or two good receivers and nothing else and largely their RB's have been sub par. Ryan has had way better weapons, has at least occasionally had good OLines, and has had really good RB's. Both Ryan and Rivers have never really had a D they could rely on though. 

Although I would also say having terrible coaching (which the Chargers definitely also have) should only further my point that Rivers has had a real bad time of it in the league, not dispute it. 

Can Matt Ryan throw from a clean pocket ?

Can Matt throw a completion without getting hit ?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

31 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

How? They've rarely had an above average defense and their OLine has been trash since Rivers has gotten there. They've usually had one or two good receivers and nothing else and largely their RB's have been sub par. Ryan has had way better weapons, has at least occasionally had good OLines, and has had really good RB's. Both Ryan and Rivers have never really had a D they could rely on though. 

Although I would also say having terrible coaching (which the Chargers definitely also have) should only further my point that Rivers has had a real bad time of it in the league, not dispute it. 

Chargers were loaded on both sides of ball in mid-2000’s. Their 2006 roster especially was most talented in football. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Chargers were loaded on both sides of ball in mid-2000’s, especially 2006. 

So for the first two years of his 15 year career? I didn't say he's never had anything, just that largely he hasn't, same as Ryan.

4 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

So for the first two years of his 15 year career? I didn't say he's never had anything, just that largely he hasn't, same as Ryan.

I agree with you on Ryan. Just saying chargers had the best talent in league during that time period.

I agree with you on Ryan. Just saying chargers had the best talent in league during that time period.

And I would say Ryan has had more recently. It all evens out to the fact both have had some rough luck that lead to them being underappreciated by the talking heads of the NFL.

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

And I would say Ryan has had more recently. It all evens out to the fact both have had some rough luck that lead to them being underappreciated by the talking heads of the NFL.

Poor situational coaching more than not having enough talent has plagued both QB IMO. 

If not for that, Matt would have 2 rings, Rivers at least 1.

Poor situational coaching more than not having enough talent has plagued both QB IMO. 

If not for that, Matt would have 2 rings, Rivers at least 1.

Yeah, no way around the deficient coaching both have experienced. At least Kyle got Ryan his MVP before ruining everything, I guess.

I'm surprised Rivers didn't just give up and retire after watching that Ray Rice 30 yard 4'th down. That would have broken me. hahah 

Vandy likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

They went 14-2 and had the same core roster for a long time after that. Their defense ranked very high in DVOA for years. They just always **** the bed during the season or the playoffs. 

Edited by NeonDeion

4 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

They went 14-2 and had the same core roster for a long time after that. Their defense ranked very high in DVOA for years. They just always **** the bed during the season or the playoffs. 

The Falcons have had good regular season records too under Ryan. Also the two years after 14-2 were 11-5 and 8-8, so either their roster wasn't great for a long time after that or the coaches were royally screwing up. Either way is exactly my point, Rivers has had **** luck.

48 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

The Falcons have had good regular season records too under Ryan. Also the two years after 14-2 were 11-5 and 8-8, so either their roster wasn't great for a long time after that or the coaches were royally screwing up. Either way is exactly my point, Rivers has had **** luck.

The original comment said Rivers had worse teams. He did not. He had very similar talent. He also had a year with terrible injury luck. Chargers and Falcons are very similar actually. Loaded with talent but **** coaching. 

Noodle arm is going to blow the world up this year if the two first picks of this years draft hit 80% or more of their potential.

18 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

If Ryan will stop taking sacks and just throw the ball away on busted plays he could be a decent qb one day :ninja:

Hey use to drive me crazy with that early in his career....Matt try to make sum happen now but was way to fast to throw it away.

1 hour ago, HMFIC said:

I watched the Old Timer QB competition on NFL.com the other night.  The distance competition was won by Favre, and Cordell Stewart, then Harbaugh, Steve Young had he weakest arm. The shortest throw was in the 50s , average throw was in the 60s, and longest was 73.4 to the best of my memory.  I think our "Noodle Arm" QB would stand up pretty well to those averages except to Farve and Stewart.  Ryan is certainly not a noodle arm and that phrase needs to be trashed forever.  Ryan can make every throw neccessary for a great NFL QB, which he is. 

I guess sarcasm is hard to detect on these boards. Ryan has plenty of arm to make any throw in the playbook. He has consistently had the top 5-10 longest thrown in every season. He can heave a 50-60 yarder if the line holds up.

4 hours ago, Lornoth said:

4 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

The original comment said Rivers had worse teams. He did not. He had very similar talent. He also had a year with terrible injury luck. Chargers and Falcons are very similar actually. Loaded with talent but **** coaching. 

Rivers had an HOF RB and HOF TE, multiple pro bowl OL many years of his career including very good defenses. San Diego defense even recently is no slouch. What Rivers lacked was good coaches most of his career.  Big knock on Rivers is interceptions, he makes none headed plays to lose games at crucial times.

NeonDeion likes this