Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SacFalcFan

2019 SEC Baseball Tournament Thread

48 posts in this topic

Things worked out as good as we could hope today. We face Ole Miss tomorrow. Apparently planning on throwing both Hancock AND Locey on pitch counts it sounds like.

Ole Miss light on healthy arms at this point. If we win, we'd face the winner of Vandy and LSU Sunday. Probably starting CJ Smith...

We don't really care about winning, but would be a nice bonus if LSU could take out Vandy for us...

Locey gives up a 2 run bomb and we’re down by 2 again.. 

side note: can these announcers be more for ole miss 

And the other day I saw an Arkansas fan complain about the chatter about Cole Wilcox on twitter. There was plenty of praise showered over Emerson Hancock from the broadcast (and again just recently one of the guys said he thought Hancock “looked really good” today), one of the guys comparing him to Casey Mize, the number 1 pick in the MLB draft last year and there was a great deal of talk about him while he was in. They also had the “introduction” to Locey, but because his command has looked even worse than usual at times, there wasn’t much good for them to talk about with him.

A “national” broadcast is not going to be slanted to anywhere. I generally think SEC Network baseball does what national TV MLB should be doing (this is a shot at ESPN’s broadcasts).

Maybe it was because I was neutral and it’s because of Hart’s voice, but I watched parts of Auburn-Vanderbilt the other day and Tom Hart sounded COMPLETELY neutral to me while Vanderbilt was killing them.

Was more referring to when teams scored.. when we tied it up it was almost like eh.. then ole miss jacks a two run homer and they’re seemingly going nuts.. 

I'd say comparing Emerson Hancock to Casey Mize, the number one pick in 2018 is "going crazy for Georgia". It's just not as sexy as hard hitting offense, and I just compared and like with Tom Hart calling a "murder" with Vanderbilt the other day, his call sounded just about EXACTLY the same on Meadows HR and Kessinger's.

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

I'd say comparing Emerson Hancock to Casey Mize, the number one pick in 2018 is "going crazy for Georgia". It's just not as sexy as hard hitting offense, and I just compared and like with Tom Hart calling a "murder" with Vanderbilt the other day, his call sounded just about EXACTLY the same on Meadows HR and Kessinger's.

LOLOLOLOL

edit.. give me a sec while I try to find a season that Mize had that compares to Hancock this year.. 

double edit.. this may take a while

Edited by TheTrue7

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

LOLOLOLOL 

What more praise do you want from the SEC Network crew? I'd say calling Hancock the #1 for next year is big praise and I've heard both crews this week (and others from the network over the season) say multiple times they think that Georgia will go to Omaha and has a great chance at winning it due to pitching and defense. They're not going to go full on homer Bulldog like the local SEC Network guys or FSSE with the local teams because of being a national broadcast. There was PLENTY praise even considering that. PLENTY.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

Just now, VoiceofReason95 said:

What more praise do you want from the SEC Network crew? I'd say calling Hancock the #1 for next year is big praise and I've heard both crews this week (and others from the network over the season) say multiple times they think that Georgia will go to Omaha and has a great chance at winning it due to pitching and defense. They're not going to go full on homer Bulldog like the local SEC Network guys or FSSE with the teams because of being a national broadcast. There was PLENTY praise even considering that. PLENTY.

Geez guy.. all that was said after I made that post.. calm your tits

50 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Of course we lost to Ole Miss. That's the Georgia way. <_<

Yep, if there’s a Championship that can be choked away, that’s the Georgia Way!

nice run though through the sec tournament.  we lost 8 straight games and haven't competed for many years.  it stinks we loss, but the reality is it's all about Omaha for us.  regionals coming up.  

16 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Of course we lost to Ole Miss. That's the Georgia way. <_<

If it wasn't obvious, when Stricklin announced he was pitching both on a pitch count he basically was signaling that winning was optional.

Seems like late plate approach was all or nothing. I can only assume they were only willing to win outright not tie it up and force extra innings.

There simply is not enough value in the SEC Tourney for teams with a real chance at Omaha.

I think in the last 20ish years there have only been two teams to win the SEC Tourney and also win the CWS. Someone posted the specifics over on the baseball thread on the rant.

mike teevee likes this

On 5/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, fibonaccisquared said:

If it wasn't obvious, when Stricklin announced he was pitching both on a pitch count he basically was signaling that winning was optional.

Seems like late plate approach was all or nothing. I can only assume they were only willing to win outright not tie it up and force extra innings.

There simply is not enough value in the SEC Tourney for teams with a real chance at Omaha.

I think in the last 20ish years there have only been two teams to win the SEC Tourney and also win the CWS. Someone posted the specifics over on the baseball thread on the rant.

While it was nice to win the first few games the reality is the SEC tournament means nothing as you said since we have a real shot at Omaha.  winning wouldn't have helped our seeding, we got the 4th seed which is exactly what we thought going in.  not sure you have looked at the regional bracket yet, but we got a tough one imo.  mercer and fsu are two very good teams. 

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

While it was nice to win the first few games the reality is the SEC tournament means nothing as you said since we have a real shot at Omaha.  winning wouldn't have helped our seeding, we got the 4th seed which is exactly what we thought going in.  not sure you have looked at the regional bracket yet, but we got a tough one imo.  mercer and fsu are two very good teams. 

Agreed on the tournament value. We figured going in we were somewhere between a 3-6 seed... only real surprise was Ga Tech jumping to 3 over a probably deserving top 4 Miss State.

Don't love that our super pairing is with LSU's regional... If they get hot, they can be trouble. Arizona State is a pretty darn good team though that could emerge victorious there still.

As to our bracket, it's not awful. FSU is a quality roster but they haven't played like it this year. Bigger concern is the emotional factor of playing and extending Mike Martin's final season coaching there. Mercer is so so... One of the guys over on the rant compiled decent write ups on the 3 teams:

Florida State

On paper, Florida State probably has a top 10-15 roster in college baseball. They have potential high picks across the roster in the next couple of drafts. 

3B Drew Mendoza could have been a top pick out of high school before going to Florida State. Freshman All American, All ACC as a sophomore and junior. Should be a top two round selection in a few weeks. 

Robby Martin might be a freshman all american this year. He's mostly been their DH. 

JC Flowers is their Aaron Schunk. 12 home runs offensively and 11 saves with a 1.59 era. 

The rest of their offense is hit or miss, kind of like ours. The bottom of their lineup is not good. 

Pitching wise, Drew Parrish is their Friday starter. He got absolutely lit up two starts ago, so his stats dont look great, but he strikes out a ton of people. He will probably pitch against Florida Atlantic, so we might not see him. 

CJ Van Eyk is the guy we will probably see if FSU wins on Friday night. He is a potential top 20 pick in 2020. Sits 92-93 that can reach around 95. Good 12-6 curve. Tons of Ks, but command is a problem. Potentially a lot of walks. 

Bad pen besides Flowers. Get past the starters, and there can be a lot of runs to be had. 

Defensively, they made 75 errors this year, compared to 42 for Georgia. 

If their stars are on, they can beat anyone. If not, Georgia can blow them out.

Mercer 

0-3 vs Florida State 
-7 runs scored vs 26 given up 

0-3 vs Indiana State 
-14 runs scored vs 28 given up 

0-2 vs Georgia Tech(midweek) 
-9 runs scored vs 21 given up 

They were only 7-7 vs Q2 teams, and got destroyed against Georgia Southern in two mid week games. 

Tied for 3rd in the SoCon. 6-1 in the conference tournament, only 4-6 in their previous 10 games. Could be getting hot at the right time. 

Kel Johnson is their top player. Freshman all american at Georgia Tech. Over 30 home runs in his first three seasons at Tech. Missed most of his senior year because of injury. 22 home runs with a .297 batting average as a graduate student this year at Mercer. 

The rest of the offense is nothing special. Only .269 as a team. 

Pitching, their top three starters arent good. Give up a ton of hits, and dont really strike anyone out. 

Good closer and set up guy.

Florida Atlantic 

.299 team average. 4.80 ERA. 

Runs per game 
7.4 to 8.2 vs Q1 
6.4 to 5.8 vs Q2 
7.1 to 4.6 vs Q3 
6.9 to 4.3 vs Q4 

4-7 against teams in the tournament. 1-2 Miami, 0-3 Illinois, 2-2 Southern Miss, 1-0 Florida. 

They gave up 76 runs in the three weekend series against Miami, Illinois, and Southern Miss. 

7 guys have started at least 4 games this year. They've been looking for pitching all year and have not found it. Their three top pen arms are the best part of their pitching staff. 

They have eight guys hitting over .300 in their lineup. The lineup is mostly veteran. Guys that have played multiple games in the tournament. Dont look past the fact that none are going to be big prospects. They can put up numbers. 

3 hours ago, sdogg said:

Pitching is atrocious today. 

Yeah... Just a brutal showing. Could not afford it either... Winning three in a row going to be a challenge. 

sdogg likes this