Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

31,451 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Gee,  . . . MSNBC, that has dozens of "panelists" on their shows every day, had one who said something dumb.  

NSNBC IS FOX.  

Perfect.

15-rachel-maddown-russia.w1200.h630.jpg

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

15-rachel-maddown-russia.w1200.h630.jpg

Before I actually watch that, I assume that there are things in the video that are demonstrably wrong?

2 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

Before I actually watch that, I assume that there are things in the video that are demonstrably wrong?

Well first of all it’s a jpeg

1 minute ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Are you asking for an honest answer or is this just to ridicule me ?

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Too much going on in my life to sit inside all day between all the activities I'm involved with.

I've taken vets fishing as I give back, but my wife and I are working on an official  charity out if it.

naNEzNm.gif?noredirect

mdrake34 likes this

14 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

I don't recall doing the pic thing but yes I know who you are :)

Your secret is safe with me good sir.

Bye.  Can’t say it was nice knowing you.  :sadwave:

Every time I think about vicious' pm that he knows who I am and has been in my office I think about that scene in One Hour Photo where Robin Williams takes a dump at one of his customer's house during his break in.

Serge and JDaveG like this

8 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Every time I think about vicious' pm that he knows who I am and has been in my office I think about that scene in One Hour Photo where Robin Williams takes a dump at one of his customer's house during his break in.

Uh oh. Psycho vibes?

7 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Personally, I would file that under, "I wish a m*****f****r would".

7 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

What happened?  You can PM me the info if it's too sensitive.

Long story short, but he made a mask out of my face.

28 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Well first of all it’s a jpeg

tenor.gif

OK, that was a pretty good Boomer self own (actually a few years from true Boomer generation.)  I just assumed it was a vid.  

oops

Billy Ocean and Sn4tteRBoxXeR like this

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

Good stuff

A couple of excerpts that I liked:

Psychologists have shown that people have motivated beliefs: beliefs that they have chosen to hold because those beliefs meet a psychological need. Now, being poor in the US is extremely tough, given the meagre welfare benefits and high levels of post-tax inequality. So Americans have a greater need than Europeans to believe that you deserve what you get and you get what you deserve. These beliefs play a powerful role in motivating yourself and your children to work as hard as possible to avoid poverty. And these beliefs can help alleviate the guilt involved in ignoring a homeless person begging on your street.

And:

There is an entire cultural ecosystem that has evolved around the idea of tax-as-theft, recognisable today in politicians’ talk about “spending taxpayers’ money”, or campaigners celebrating “tax freedom day”. This language exists outside the world of politics, too. Tax economists, accountants and lawyers refer to the so-called “tax burden”.

But the idea that you somehow own your pre-tax income, while obvious, is false. To begin with, you could never have ownership rights prior to, or independent from, taxation. Ownership is a legal right. Laws require various institutions, including police and a legal system, to function. These institutions are financed through taxation. The tax and the ownership rights are effectively created simultaneously. We cannot have one without the other.

However, if the only function of the state is to support private ownership rights (maintaining a legal system, police, and so on), it seems that taxation could be very low – and any further taxation on top could still be seen as a form of theft. Implicit in this view is the idea of incomes earned, and so ownership rights created, in an entirely private market economy, with the state entering only later, to ensure these rights are maintained. Many economics textbooks picture the state in this way, as an add-on to the market. Yet this, too, is a fantasy.

In the modern world, all economic activity reflects the influence of government. Markets are inevitably defined and shaped by government. There is no such thing as income earned before government comes along. My earnings partly reflect my education. Earlier still, the circumstances of my birth and my subsequent health reflects the healthcare available. Even if that healthcare is entirely “private”, it depends on the education of doctors and nurses, and the drugs and other technologies available. Like all other goods and services, these in turn depend on the economic and social infrastructure, including transport networks, communications systems, energy supplies and extensive legal arrangements covering complex matters such as intellectual property, formal markets such as stock exchanges, and jurisdiction across national borders. Lord Lloyd-Webber’s wealth depends on government decisions about the length of copyright on the music he wrote. In sum, it is impossible to isolate what is “yours” from what is made possible, or influenced, by the role of government.

Edit:  Just thinking about the "Wizard of Oz" right now!   Great movie, especially this scene with the munchkins!!!  Had to flush a Goldfish last night!

Leon Troutsky likes this

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

Was that in PM??

I seem to recall an actual post by him about that