Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

26,309 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

States with small populations tend to have a problem with young people going to college with state-provided scholarships and then leaving the state for employment elsewhere.  So some small (and Republican!) states already provide de facto free college to state residents, but then they lose the tax revenue when those people leave.

I’ve always thought that free tuition coupled with a small income tax (1-3%) for any income earned outside the state that’s paying for college would be a way for these smaller states to create a steady revenue stream while providing college at a much cheaper rate for students (e.g., no tuition and thus no loans).  

it'd be a lot easier to just nationalize universities than have a weird labyrinth of inter-state income tax agreements.

1 minute ago, achilles return said:

it'd be a lot easier to just nationalize universities than have a weird labyrinth of inter-state income tax agreements.

Oh jeez.

So now universities are basically 13th grade, 14th grade, 15th grade, and 16th grade.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Look again I'm not saying make all healthcare out of pocket immediately.  The costs are too ridiculous right now.

Making it MORE free market and involving charities MORE is a long term goal, not a short term goal.  That's the direction we should be moving.  We're not going to get their tomorrow.

The other alternative (single payer) is awful.  Good luck waiting months or years for an MRI.

Stop with the hyperbole. It's clown **** and makes you look like you don't have a real argument. No one in Canada or Scandinavia is waiting months or years for an MRI. Maybe a few weeks but if I needed an MRI right now, my doctor's office probably wouldn't have an opening anyway.

What isn't hyperbole is that Americans are paying hundreds of dollars for routine procedures and people are going into bankruptcy because of medical bills. Policies have made it worse but the crux of the issue is a for-profit healthcare system. Everyone who knows anything about healthcare policy knows that single payer is the best option. The only question is how we get there. 

The only people who disagree are those who haven't thought about the issue for more than two seconds and think capitalism=America=good.

Just now, lostone said:

Hardest thing to do in BJJ for me is remembering to breathe

I haven't had a BJJ since my last birthday.  

Door Gunner likes this

5 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Which is why Trump is making celebrities out of four freshman members of Congress with no power.

How else is he supposed to get his base whipped up against a party that's basically giving him everything he wants?

Just now, The Legendary SB said:

Oh jeez.

So now universities are basically 13th grade, 14th grade, 15th grade, and 16th grade.  :rolleyes:

The way  college has been flooded and the curriculum watered down, in some cases (unfortunately) that is a yes.

1 minute ago, bdog 29 said:

Everyone who knows anything about healthcare policy knows that single payer is the best option. The only question is how we get there.

End of discussion, this is a load of horse crap.  

Capitalism is the most successful economic system in the history of planet earth but people don't want to use it for the biggest industry in the country.

Ridiculous.  

I'm a pro capitalist. But lets be real honest for a second. Some things shouldn't be based on how much money you like.... I dunno whether you live or die 

2 minutes ago, lostone said:

Hardest thing to do in BJJ for me is remembering to breathe

It took me a few years. I will still occasionally catch myself holding my breath when concentrating on something very technical. 

I don't think I took four complete breaths in my first ever competition fight. 

25 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

Why bring Bolton in? If you are not an interventionist why bring in the worlds leading interventionist?

I don’t think Trump selected Bolton for philosophical reasons. Bolton became a Fox News contributor during the Obama administration. I’m sure that’s how Trump became familiar with him. 

1 minute ago, thesouphead said:

I just..... Can't.... America is their God and Trump is their prophet. Jehovah has been replaced there clearly

1 minute ago, thesouphead said:

It's true.

Just like my speech about being good consumers. 

If you don't like what this country stands for go somewhere that fits your ideals more.  You have a choice.  Use it.

Just now, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Which is why Trump is making celebrities out of four freshman members of Congress with no power.

How's he supposed to get his base whipped up against a party that's basically giving him everything he wants. 

The GOP has never had trouble with that before.

The attacks on these four remind me of the lackadaisical attacks against Trump in '15-16. They expect their usual attacks to be instant takedowns but instead they've survived and only grew more prominent. Now we're at the stage where they think giving them more rope to hang themselves will do the trick.

2 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

I'm a pro capitalist. But lets be real honest for a second. Some things shouldn't be based on how much money you like.... I dunno whether you live or die 

Sounds like someone bought into the rhetoric.

That's not true at all.

There are plenty of ways to have a more capitalist healthcare system where nobody has to die (at least not more than they already do...can't save everybody).  The benefits of capitalism are better quality goods and services at a lower cost.  Exactly what we need in healthcare.  

3 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

It's true.

Just like my speech about being good consumers. 

If you don't like what this country stands for go somewhere that fits your ideals more.  You have a choice.  Use it.

So when the next Democrat becomes president, will you be ok with people telling you to "Love it, or leave it" when you criticize that president? 

12 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Look again I'm not saying make all healthcare out of pocket immediately.  The costs are too ridiculous right now.

Making it MORE free market and involving charities MORE is a long term goal, not a short term goal.  That's the direction we should be moving.  We're not going to get there tomorrow.

The other alternative (single payer) is awful.  Good luck waiting months or years for an MRI.

there are a plethora of universal health care systems across the industrialized world, and they are better in nearly every metric than our existing system. your response to this is that we should switch to something that literally does not exist anywhere on the planet, sight unseen, rather than adopt any one of the existing choices that prioritizes access to care regardless of the ability of pay for it. why should we? for the sake of your ideological indoctrination? if we care about results, there is no reason to adopt anything other than universal health care.

8 minutes ago, bdog 29 said:

Stop with the hyperbole. It's clown **** and makes you look like you don't have a real argument. No one in Canada or Scandinavia is waiting months or years for an MRI. Maybe a few weeks but if I needed an MRI right now, my doctor's office probably wouldn't have an opening anyway.

What isn't hyperbole is that Americans are paying hundreds of dollars for routine procedures and people are going into bankruptcy because of medical bills. Policies have made it worse but the crux of the issue is a for-profit healthcare system. Everyone who knows anything about healthcare policy knows that single payer is the best option. The only question is how we get there. 

The only people who disagree are those who haven't thought about the issue for more than two seconds and think capitalism=America=good.

To say there are not longer waiting times verses the two systems is either dishonesty or lack of the facts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/sallypipes/2018/06/11/canadians-are-one-in-a-million-while-waiting-for-medical-treatment/amp/

The Legendary SB likes this

Just now, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

So when the next Democrat becomes president, will you be ok with people telling you to "Love it, or leave it" when you criticize that president? 

I'm not talking about whether you like the president or not.  Bigger picture than that.

I'm saying that if you love communism you should move to a communist country.

If you love having all drugs legal move to Amsterdam.

You have choices for this kind of stuff...

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

“All of God’s children are welcome...except you....and you...and you....and also you.”

Trump voice: This is going to be a great church, I'm going to build it, I have some very smart people who have seen the plans it's the best plans. I'm going to make church great again and Satan will pay for it. God is of course America first and no place else. We will bring in new people but if they don't agree with me on everything well then we're going to have to send them back where they came from. It is sad very sad but these people if they were good people would clearly agree with me, let the church of Trump say a yuuuuuuge amen and turn to two Corinthians.

Leon Troutsky likes this