Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

30,291 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Red&Black said:

Supporting ISIS recruits sounds dangerous.

"Honorable Judge Davis,

As you undoubtedly deliberate with great caution the sentencing of nine recently convicted Somali-American men, I bring to your attention the ramifications of sentencing young men who made a consequential mistake to decades in federal prison. Incarcerating 20-year-old men for 30 or 40 years is essentially a life sentence. Society will have no expectations of the to be 50 or 60-year-old released prisoners; it will view them with distrust and revulsion. Such punitive measures not only lack efficacy, they inevitably create an environment in which extremism can flourish, aligning with the presupposition of terrorist recruitment: “Americans do not accept you and continue to trivialize your value. Instead of being a nobody, be a martyr.”

The best deterrent to fanaticism is a system of compassion. We must alter our attitude and approach; if we truly want to affect change, we should refocus our efforts on inclusion and rehabilitation. A long-term prison sentence for one who chose violence to combat direct marginalization is a statement that our justice system misunderstands the guilty. A restorative approach to justice assesses the lure of criminality and addresses it."

She didn’t support them, she asked for rehabilitation and leniency.  None of the men engaged in a terrorist act.  They were caught buying fake passports and otherwise trying to join ISIS.  Yes, they are dangerous individuals, but they were facing 30-40 years in prison.  That seems excessive given the circumstances.

Also, we should WANT to try to rehabilitate people recruited by ISIS.  Otherwise, those same people are going to start recruiting in prison for ISIS and other terrorist groups.

Not sure what your problem is with this.

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

When someone asks what has he done after you point it out that is just bad faith acting. 

Since you brought up Obama.  Mentioning what he does to his own people is like asking what Obama got to reopen relations with Cuba (not helping their people, now that is hackery at it's finest. 

You’ve always been a bad poster. You don’t even make sense anymore.

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Biden's team is going to come out swinging

Her net favorable rating is +7, while Booker is +30. 

https://morningconsult.com/2020-democratic-primary/

538's poll after the first debate had her go from +5.8 to +9.1, while Booker went from +33.9 to 40.6 among Dem voters. Booker has been gaining endorsements in early states like NH and IA. Just announced 6 endorsements from State Leg in NH. IAStartingLine has him in 1st in IA endorsements and 538 has him in 3rd in their national endorsements. The data shows Booker has breakout potential. He is well liked by the base, is doing better in early state polling than nationally, and is gaining support from local leaders in those early states. 

Gabbard is struggling to make a positive impression. I get that you like her, but you are pretty much the opposite of the average dem voter. Gabbard also hit 65k donors before Booker or Castro and now both have passed her. 

she might be out she might surge, thats the fun of trying to guess a dark horse candidate

50 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

A perma-ban is in order (and I see the quotes because I have the dunce on ignore).  Stunned (not really considering the person who is doing it), and this has gotten OLD!

what did he say?

59 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Super cool that Steve's now fine just posting outright racist comments and memes in ABF.

I saw what kind of person he was, when he would rather build a symbolic useless wall, instead of taking care of who takes care of use.

2 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Read the exchange with HM..............

im not seeing anything permanent bannable did something get deleted? 

The Legendary SB likes this

9 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

im not seeing anything permanent bannable did something get deleted? 

Don't do this.  Steve has a way of trying to be "clever" with his phrasing, but it fails him.  Steve is VERY clear where he stands in one post I saw.  Steve needs to go!  It's not about politics anymore, this is dangerous.  True story, a woman on my ELT came in crying this morning, guess what happened?  Someone in St. Paul walked up on her sister and kids and told them to go back home (Somalia).  Think about that for a second.....................

1 minute ago, Andrews_31 said:

Don't do this.  Steve has a way of trying to be "clever" with his phrasing, but it fails him.  Steve is VERY clear where he stand in one post I saw.  Steve needs to go!  It not about politics anymore, this is dangerous.  True story, a woman on my ELT came in crying this morning, guess what happened?  Someone in St. Paul walked up on her sister and kids and told them to go back home (Somalia).  Think about that for a second.....................

Way to go, Republicans.  The Wretched of the Earth...

Just now, Andrews_31 said:

Don't do this.  Steve has a way of trying to be "clever" with his phrasing, but it fails him.  Steve is VERY clear where he stand in one post I saw.  Steve needs to go!  It not about politics anymore, this is dangerous.  True story, a woman on my ELT came in crying this morning, guess what happened?  Someone in St. Paul walked up on her sister and kids and told them to go back home (Somalia).  Think about that for a second.....................

im not doing anything. if we are permanently banning him for that "clever" comment we need to ban about 3 other posters. 

Just now, T-Falcon said:

im not doing anything. if we are permanently banning him for that "clever" comment we need to ban about 3 other posters. 

Maybe, but Steve is a known commodity, and the dog whistling has worked on him because he is out in the open now!

1 minute ago, Andrews_31 said:

Maybe, but Steve is a known commodity, and the dog whistling has worked on him because he is out in the open now!

So are 3 other posters know commodities. 2 of them are left leaning and 1 is especially egregious and not one of you have ever called for him to be banned much less permanent banned. 

40 minutes ago, Red&Black said:

Kinda hard to give a **** about her and her hurt feelings from bigotry/racism when she post stuff like this, being a Muslim. But that's just me.

Just now, T-Falcon said:

So are 3 other posters know commodities. 2 of them are left leaning and 1 is especially egregious and not one of you have ever called for him to be banned much less permanent banned. 

Let's be clear, one of those people that should have gotten a perma-ban was YOU back when you were Worzone.  That was truly disgusting, but here we are.

4 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Kinda hard to give a **** about her and her hurt feelings from bigotry/racism when she post stuff like this, being a Muslim. But that's just me.

Lol.  If rightwingers didn't have false equivalencies ...

Just now, Carl Showalter said:

Lol.  If rightwingers didn't have false equivalencies ...

I'm not a right winger.

8 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

What does her being Muslim have to do with the tweet? 

39 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

She didn’t support them, she asked for rehabilitation and leniency.  None of the men engaged in a terrorist act.  They were caught buying fake passports and otherwise trying to join ISIS.  Yes, they are dangerous individuals, but they were facing 30-40 years in prison.  That seems excessive given the circumstances.

Also, we should WANT to try to rehabilitate people recruited by ISIS.  Otherwise, those same people are going to start recruiting in prison for ISIS and other terrorist groups.

Not sure what your problem is with this.

My problem is that too often the FBI drops the ball.

9/11: "It is now clear that senior FBI officials, Maltbie and Frasca, did know about Moussaoui's arrest. They knew the case so well that they denied Samit's request to seek a warrant from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to search Moussaoui's computer and belongings. Because Samit never made the explicit link to Afghan terror camps, the FBI could not claim a "foreign power" was directing Moussaoui, the test for an intelligence warrant from the court. But had the bureau taken Samit's fears of mayhem seriously, it could have sought a plain vanilla criminal warrant on Moussaoui based on probable cause. Samit was told that pressing too hard to obtain a warrant would hurt his career.

Nidal Hasan: "Prior to the shooting, Hasan had expressed critical views described by colleagues as "anti-American". An investigation conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) concluded that his e-mails with the late Imam Anwar al-Awlaki were related to his authorized professional research and that he was not a threat."

Boston Marathon bombing: "What are the chances of the Russians reporting on someone who's pretty obscure and the FBI checks him out and finds out his name has come up twice before?" asked Peter King. "Wouldn't it have warranted keeping the investigation open longer or at least going to the Boston police and warning them?"

At Thursday's hearing, Mueller defended that inquiry as thorough, even though it resulted in no further action. "At that point in time, I do not know that there was much else that could be done within the statutes, within the Constitution, to further investigate him," the FBI director said.

There's plenty that can be done.  Follow the pipeline, and cut off the flow.

1 minute ago, Red&Black said:

My problem is that too often the FBI drops the ball.

9/11: "It is now clear that senior FBI officials, Maltbie and Frasca, did know about Moussaoui's arrest. They knew the case so well that they denied Samit's request to seek a warrant from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to search Moussaoui's computer and belongings. Because Samit never made the explicit link to Afghan terror camps, the FBI could not claim a "foreign power" was directing Moussaoui, the test for an intelligence warrant from the court. But had the bureau taken Samit's fears of mayhem seriously, it could have sought a plain vanilla criminal warrant on Moussaoui based on probable cause. Samit was told that pressing too hard to obtain a warrant would hurt his career.

Nidal Hasan: "Prior to the shooting, Hasan had expressed critical views described by colleagues as "anti-American". An investigation conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) concluded that his e-mails with the late Imam Anwar al-Awlaki were related to his authorized professional research and that he was not a threat."

Boston Marathon bombing: "What are the chances of the Russians reporting on someone who's pretty obscure and the FBI checks him out and finds out his name has come up twice before?" asked Peter King. "Wouldn't it have warranted keeping the investigation open longer or at least going to the Boston police and warning them?"

At Thursday's hearing, Mueller defended that inquiry as thorough, even though it resulted in no further action. "At that point in time, I do not know that there was much else that could be done within the statutes, within the Constitution, to further investigate him," the FBI director said.

There's plenty that can be done.  Follow the pipeline, and cut off the flow.

We've known the source of the pipeline for decades.

898d3e20cdf24c7aa1943246ef420ccf_18.jpg

Included but not shown: Every other post-WW2 president and Saudi leader.

5 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

What does her being Muslim have to do with the tweet? 

Let's be real (if that's possible here). If Pence posted a pic of her with her eyes closed saying "Mohamad take the wheel", you guys would blow up in here saying it's bigoted as **** (and I would agree).

Must be the one sided "false equivalencies" that Carl is talking about.

Sn4tteRBoxXeR and Wokezone like this