Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

30,241 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Starting with the HMO act in the 70s, yes the government broke healthcare.  It is not even remotely benefiting from the rewards of capitalism because it's not allowed to.  No free market competition...  All collectivist regulatory nonsense.  

The only way healthcare can operate as a free market is if we as a society are ok letting people who cannot afford it suffer and die. Thing about every other industry that operates as a free market. If you can't afford a car, you don't get one. If you can't afford a coke, you don't get that either. If healthcare is a for-profit endeavor, logically it follows the same thought. If you can't afford it, you don't get that either. So just sit somewhere and wait to die.

This is a characteristic of for-profit healthcare which so many of its advocates fail to recognize. If you're going make healthcare a free market, do that. Don't pussyfoot around it and try to have a free market while forcing providers to see people who can't afford their services. That, by definition, is not a free market. And it's a big contributor to why healthcare so expensive right now. So either you repeal policies like EMTALA and let providers provide care to only those who can pay.

If you can think of a way to have a free market in healthcare that doesn't allow those who can't afford care to die, let me know. But I have a Masters in Healthcare Policy and Management in all my years of school I never heard of a free market plan that would allow that.

We are paying to fund these medical breakthroughs that bring about these medicines then charged ridiculous prices to buy the life saving medicine we need.

Burn it down start over do it right by the American people

1 hour ago, lostone said:

I haven’t lifted since April last year.  I think that has more to do with it than fasting.  Also losing muscle only happens if you don’t use it.  I’ll be back to normal in a few months.

You could try intermittent fasting, with fasted cardio in the morning, and then lift in the afternoon.

The Legendary SB likes this

2 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

You could try intermittent fasting, with fasted cardio in the morning, and then lift in the afternoon.

I technically do IF, just 48 hrs between meals.

on my eat days I do BJJ 

1 minute ago, The Legendary SB said:

This is what charities like the Red Cross should be doing.  Free clinics for those who can't afford to pay for healthcare.  

Before we turned into the nanny / welfare state, that's what charities did.  They helped people.  Now everybody wants to rip money out of people's wallet at gunpoint and make them pay for other people's stuff via taxes.  

I can compromise and say that everybody should have "catastrophic" health insurance and those that can't afford it can get some kind of assistance.  Preferably via a charitable organization or state/local government.  

Like they did when they ripped money out of your hands for unnecessary wars in Iraq and Syria ? Was that nanny stating?

3 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

This is what charities like the Red Cross should be doing.  Free clinics for those who can't afford to pay for healthcare.  

Before we turned into the nanny / welfare state, that's what charities did.  They helped people.  Now everybody wants to rip money out of people's wallet at gunpoint and make them pay for other people's stuff via taxes.  

I can compromise and say that everybody should have "catastrophic" health insurance and those that can't afford it can get some kind of assistance.  Preferably via a charitable organization or state/local government.  

Again, that was basically the system the UK had prior to the NHS.

There's a reason why the stereotype of Britons looking sickly and having bad teeth is a thing.

Just now, The Legendary SB said:

My opinion is that war should be a last resort and everything possible should be done to avoid war.

That said WWII and taking out ISIS were very necessary as they both threatened American lives.  

<_< why did isis exist?

Do you think charities had/have the staff and resources to provide adequate care to the indigent population of the United States? In fact the charities you mentioned still exist. Why aren't they serving as that now? And if I know I can go to those charities in the event I need healthcare, why would I even get insurance? And who would be there to say I make too much to use the Red Cross for my checkups? The ACA had the individual mandate which kinda did what you're saying and look how that turned out. Republicans got rid of it.

As far as churches and charities in general, I think it was TD Jakes who talked about this one time. A church is supposed to stand in to provide these services, that is their Christian and moral duty and many churches do. But a local church gets somewhere around 10% of their congregation's income, if the congregants are even faithful givers. Whereas the government gets 15-30% of everyone's incomes, no matter what religion they are. The church should do what they can but the government has much more power to help people and provide these services than the church.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to entrust my or my family's healthcare to the kindness of strangers.

achilles return likes this

I think you know why...  Or you should...

Because W decided to kill the man that tried to kill his daddy and killed his kids while he was at it. For all the terrible things Saddam was, he prevented religious extremist from growing in Iraq. And he kept Iran in check. Saddams.death allowed the flow of radicals to pour Iraq that spilled over into Syria followed by our decision to kill Gadaffi making a trifecta of stupid decisions that created isis. We only had to fight Isis because we created them.

And don't forget Obama supporting and giving weapons to Syrian rebels who branched out into ISIS and used our own weapons against us.  

And why did they exist?  W

3 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

That and Obama supporting the rebels which ISIS branched out from.

Obama continuing the long held American tradition of foreign meddling didn't help.

That said, the rise of ISIS is entirely the doing of the Bush administration. They used al-Zarqawi as part of their pretext to invade Iraq which caused his notoriety, and thus his group's notoriety, to skyrocket and made him into a symbol of resistance against the United States. That only heightened when we finally did invade and occupy Iraq.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

So far the current president is not making such foolish moves.  Hoping he makes the right moves with Iran.  We'll see.

Trump has always been mostly non-interventionist.  He was against the Iraq war even when Republicans were pushing for it and Democrats were voting for it in congress.

Yes he's making all the right moves.... Like bringing in Bolton?

How many people died or were injured in the oil tankers "attack" by Iran?

Edited by T-Falcon

4 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Notice how neither one of us is calling each other a racist?  It's nice eh?

Also I'm a pretty hard core righty economically.  I am not a moderate when it comes to economics.  I'm a full Milton Friedman fiscal conservative.  

You’re not talking about a racist topic outside of the hard on America has for bombing brown people.

14 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

That and Obama supporting the rebels which ISIS branched out from.

Nah, that was just the JV team... nevermind :lol:

5 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

@Sn4tteRBoxXeR

See this is what I'm saying. I'm not a fan of the Democratic establishment because they are content playing in the arena Ronald Reagan created. I guarantee you most congresspeople in the Democratic party would be more comfortable working with Susan Collins than AOC and that to me is a problem.

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

You are wrong to absolve Obama from this.

Obama and Hillary dumped a ton of support to Syrian rebels in 2012 including supplying arms.  Guess where ISIS got the majority of its weapons?  Pulling out of Iraq prematurely in 2011 also didn't help as it created a power vacuum filled in by ISIS.  

How was that absolving him? All we managed to accomplish in Syria was prolong the war and human misery there, arm extremely dangerous elements, and weaken the native forces that could have contained ISIS when they took advantage of the total chaos in the country. ****, I was opposed to our intervention there from the start.

However, again, that didn't cause the rise of ISIS. What caused that was our invasion and occupation of Iraq. Without that ISIS would have never gotten off the ground.

Wokezone and Gritzblitz 2.0 like this

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

How was that absolving him? All we managed to accomplish in Syria was prolong the war and human misery there, arm extremely dangerous elements, and weaken the native forces that could have contained ISIS when they took advantage of the total chaos in the country. ****, I was opposed to our intervention there from the start.

However, again, that didn't cause the rise of ISIS. What caused that was our invasion and occupation of Iraq. Without that ISIS would have never gotten off the ground.

Ding ding ding

1 minute ago, bdog 29 said:

@Sn4tteRBoxXeR

See this is what I'm saying. I'm not a fan of the Democratic establishment because they are content playing in the arena Ronald Reagan created. I guarantee you most congresspeople in the Democratic party would be more comfortable working with Susan Collins than AOC and that to me is a problem.

Andrews_31 and ATLBrave like this