Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

25,084 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, achilles return said:

yeah, we've been through this before. you cannot take "indians not taxed" and just pretend it says something else. it doesn't say "peoples not taxed". it doesn't say "undocumented immigrants not taxed". it specifically says "indians not taxed" and nothing else.

and they do pay state and local sales taxes like anyone else, so this argument doesn't make sense at really any level.

Yes you can. Not the same. 

3 minutes ago, achilles return said:

unless i was the one who created white supremacist immigration policies for a century and a half, this is just hilariously wrong.

:lol: white supremacists immigrantion policy. You see white supremacists everywhere. 

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

and as we all know, republics have never had popular elections for their heads of government/state!

Regardless of what you think or what I think, it's not changing.

The EC is here to stay.  Republicans would never vote to remove it from the Constitution.  

Yes some states have changed the way they decide their electors but this has been Dem states anyway which would not change the final outcome anyway if we had a repeat of the 2000 or 2016 elections.  

1 minute ago, The Legendary SB said:

Regardless of what you think or what I think, it's not changing.

The EC is here to stay.  Republicans would never vote to remove it from the Constitution.  

Yes some states have changed the way they decide their electors but this has been Dem states anyway which would not change the final outcome anyway if we had a repeat of the 2000 or 2016 elections.  

2020 is going to be interesting

Just now, T-Falcon said:

Yes you can. Not the same. 

the foundation of your argument literally rests on "indians not taxed" somehow being a more applicable label than "whole number of persons". it's an absolute joke of an argument. 

i mean ultimately you can pretend whatever you want. it's how you talk yourself into believing things like "democrats are the primary obstacle to republicans supporting national marijuana legislation". you have a pattern of buying into this kind of nonsense wholesale, so this would be par for the course.

Leon Troutsky and Door Gunner like this

7 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

:lol: white supremacists immigrantion policy. You see white supremacists everywhere. 

jesus dude.

it's like someone took the "us history" part of your education and just replaced it with the chronicles of narnia.

Door Gunner likes this

23 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

...shall be apportioned among the several States which 
may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be 
determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons
, including those bound to 
Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other 
Persons.

I mean, it’s right there in front of you.  “Whole number of free persons.”  Since undocumented immigrants are not slaves, they count.  Just like they’ve counted in every census since the beginning.  

Also, before you start with the “indians” nonsense...it says “excluding Indians not taxed”.  It does not say “excluding all people not taxed, which includes Indians”.  That clause only applies to Indians.  

Just now, achilles return said:

jesus dude.

it's like someone took the "us history" part of your education and just replaced it with the chronicles of narnia.

It's like someone took your education and wrote white devil's are the problem.

I mean, this is literally the exchange in quotes...

Achilles:  “yeah, we've been through this before. you cannot take "indians not taxed" and just pretend it says something else.”

T-Falcon: 

13 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

Yes you can. 

:lol:

Sn4tteRBoxXeR and Big_Dog like this

2 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

Want to give a public "Thanks" to @monarch for presenting the case against Serge's "Mastermind Trump" theory

It's the same case everyone else's made. He's stupid, therefore he couldn't have anticipated what a reasonably sharp political mind could have anticipated in his situation, even if he surrounded himself with people who have spent their adult lives trying to figure out how to upend perceived liberal bias in the media. But he's stupid, so even if someone in his circle in 2016 explained to him what he ought to do to get out from under the inevitable Russia investigation should he get elected, it's not part of his conscious thought process in 2019, therefore we shouldn't attribute motive where there is none beyond Trump being Trump. We learned nothing, again, but at least we know for sure there's nothing to learn about Trump.

Just now, achilles return said:

i just want to get back to complaining about liberals, y'all. 

I'm livin' the dream over here

4 minutes ago, Serge said:

It's the same case everyone else's made. He's stupid, therefore he couldn't have anticipated what a reasonably sharp political mind could have anticipated in his situation, even if he surrounded himself with people who have spent their adult lives trying to figure out how to upend perceived liberal bias in the media. But he's stupid, so even if someone in his circle in 2016 explained to him what he ought to do to get out from under the inevitable Russia investigation should he get elected, it's not part of his conscious thought process in 2019, therefore we shouldn't attribute motive where there is none beyond Trump being Trump. We learned nothing, again, but at least we know for sure there's nothing to learn about Trump.

flzceDH.png

35 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

I get what you're trying to do.  Call the EC "racist" so it can be removed.  Not gonna happen.

The founding fathers made this country a REPUBLIC by design and specifically did not want it to be mob rule.  

"The preservation of the sacred fire of liberty, and the destiny of the Republican model of government."
- George Washington

Woman: "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?"
"A republic, if you can keep it."
- Benjamin Franklin

Regarding calling it racist, allow me to boil down how this argument has gone:

Conservatives: The EC was instituted to protect small states from big states and for no other reason!

People who know what they're talking about: It was instituted at the behest of slave states. Here is evidence from what Founding Fathers said about it.

Conservatives: I see! You're trying to use the race card! Hurr durr!

Regarding the bolded quote:

On 5/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, Psychic Gibbon said:

Says a republic is a government that's ruled by law while a democracy is rule by the majority, which is a toddler's vision of politics.

The reality is that a republic is basically any form of government that isn't a monarchy. This is why they can include systems that range from dictatorships to democracies. The United States is a democratic republic... No monarchy and the people vote for the officials that will represent them in government.

Please try to be less dense and opposed to educating yourself.

3 minutes ago, Serge said:

Except I've not said "he's stupid therefore...," despite you trying to frame it like that.  I've said he's acting exactly as he has for the past several decades, and that nothing about his behavior over the past several decades has suggested he has the kind of thoughtfulness you describe while everything about how he's acted the past several decades suggests that what he currently does is driven by narcissism and desperate need for attention.  Likewise, all of the evidence and reporting on him shows he frequently ignores and undermines those "people who have spent their adult lives trying to figure out how to upend perceived liberal bias in the media" because again, he doesn't have the patience, subtlety, humility, or intellectual curiosity to consistently stick with some sort of thoughtful plan of attack.

I just think it's reasonable to assume that when Trump says/does/tweets dumb ****, it's much more likely a result of the same tendencies that caused him to say/do/tweet stupid **** in the past than it is to assume it's because he's implementing a strategic plan.

I mean, I'd love it if I could find that old @Psychic Gibbon post and edit it:

Trump: *hits himself in the balls with a hammer* Owwww.

Us: "what the ****"

Serge, chuckling: "he's playing y'all like a fiddle."

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Unfortunately i have to disagree.

Yes some on the right just have malice and are intentionally deceitful but there is just plain old fashioned ignorance.

Some of it is willful...some of it is not.

There are people who actually believe that if we allowed the presidency to go to popular vote that their bicycles will be taken by the mob.

No, but the country certainly would, by the leftists in the most populous sates, everybody else ( the majority of states would have no say)  By the way, the electoral College was the way the Founding Fathers wanted it, so stop whining about the popular vote.

The Legendary SB likes this