Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

26,103 posts in this topic

    

16 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

I don't think Trump is an expert on everything but I think because of his executive experience he is an excellent delegator.  He puts the right people in the right places and holds them accountable for results.  

The “right people in the right places” so far includes...

Paul Manafort

Rick Gates

Michael Flynn

Michael Cohen

Steve Bannon

Rex Tillerson

Sebastia Gorka

Anthony Scaramuci

^^^That’s a partial list, and doesn’t even include people Trump nominated that had to withdraw because of things like domestic violence and corruption.  

That’s a funny definition of “the right people”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

The end result of his business history was turning $1 million into $3.5 billion. 

That's pretty friggin good!

 

1 minute ago, achilles return said:

lol

The $1 million is the number that's been quoted but even if it was $60 million that's still fantastic results getting to over $3 billion.

I agree that his net worth is currently $3.1 billion but my understanding is that it was $3.5 billion before he ran for the presidency.  Ie...when he was focused on his business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

The “made a book about it” part made me snort the Frap I am drinking out threw my nose! :lol:

The book whose ghost writer stated that it was mostly BS.

There is also a funny anecdote from the producers of The Apprentice where they had to add to their set expenses to clean Trump's office since he clearly hadn't used it for over a decade. Also said the only reason they brought him on was because they thought it was funny to make a notoriously bad/failed businessman the face of their business themed show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

He's also very good at negotiation and even made a book about it way back.

Co-author of Trump’s ‘Art of the Deal’ says the book should be reclassified as fiction

“If I had to rename 'The Art of the Deal' I would call it 'The Sociopath,'" Schwartz said. "He has no conscience. He has no guilt.... He does not experience the world in the way an ordinary human being would." 
 

 

Ezekiel 25:17 and Door Gunner like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Serge said:

See, I say that's intentional disinformation, he starts fights online to distract from what he's doing irl. 

This is what I'm talking about.  No he doesn't.  He has been starting fights online long before this, long before he'd be trying to distract from what he's doing irl.  He fights online because, like a lot of people, he likes fighting online.  Before online, he was doing it in print.  All the evidence from the people who have covered him deeply ascribe it to an impulsive, narcissistic personality who desperately craves attention, not as part of some thoughtful manipulation to distract from what he's doing.  That it distracts from what he's doing is a reflection of those covering it, not of his intent.  Indeed, sometimes his online presence has brought attention to things he's doing irl, which most of his support system wish he hadn't done.

And no, I'm not describing "evil magic present in our timeline that's empowered him specifically for no apparent reason."  There are many clear reasons.  Social media and the internet today allows the spread and cultivation of inanity and conspiracy in ways that weren't possible many years ago.  When someone who already has celebrity begins moving into those circles, they can get elevated more quickly, even if they are just spouting the same dumb ******** as other people.  He gained support of the weird right-wing conspiracy/hate sphere simply be being extremely online and extremely loud, and now he has some weird cult of personality support system as a result.

Likewise, we had a media system that is hellbent on the 24-hour headline cycle, which amplifies those who talk the loudest and most bombastically.  By being an aggressive, not-too-bright bully, he stumbled into a perfect storm.  He's not measured or thoughtful enough to self-edit in meaningful ways, and he desperately wants to be the most covered man in America, which means he impulsively and compulsively gives the media exactly what it likes.  

He also had significant monetary resources, which is of course useful, and decades of name recognition.  Many people already bought into his Art of the Deal / Apprentice persona, even though people who tracked him knew those were ********.  He wasn't some master-negotiator.  He was just a con who would refuse to pay, go to court, and bully people.  He lost tons of money for tons of people.  But for many people, he was the guy on the cover, and now he was saying out loud the hateful/conspiracy-laden **** that they had been saying/thinking privately. They liked it and voted for it.  

There are plenty of not-bright people (particularly rich, white men), who fail upward continually.  That he has failed the farthest upward doesn't mean you should ascribe to him some thoughtfulness and subtlety that is not supported by anything in his multi-decade public existence.

Edited by Carl Showalter
Jpowers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Carl Showalter said:

This is what I'm talking about.  No he doesn't.  He has been starting fights online long before this, long before he'd be trying to distract from what he's doing irl.  He fights online because, like a lot of people, he likes fighting online.  Before online, he was doing it in print.  All the evidence from the people who have covered him deeply ascribe it to an impulsive, narcissistic personality who desperately craves attention, not as part of some thoughtful manipulation to distract from what he's doing.  That it distracts from what he's doing is a reflection of those covering it, not of his intent.  Indeed, sometimes his online presence has brought attention to things he's doing irl, which most of his support system wish he hadn't done.

And no, I'm not describing "evil magic present in our timeline that's empowered him specifically for no apparent reason."  There are many clear reasons.  Social media and the internet today allows the spread and cultivation of inanity and conspiracy in ways that weren't possible many years ago.  When someone who already has celebrity begins moving into those circles, they can get elevated more quickly, even if they are just spouting the same dumb ******** as other people.  He gained support of the weird right-wing conspiracy/hate sphere simply be being extremely online and extremely loud, and now he has some weird cult of personality support system as a result.

Likewise, we had a media system that is hellbent on the 24-hour headline cycle, which amplifies those who talk the loudest and most bombastically.  By being an aggressive, not-too-bright bully, he stumbled into a perfect storm.  He's not measured or thoughtful enough to self-edit in meaningful ways, and he desperately wants to be the most covered man in America, which means he impulsively and compulsively gives the media exactly what it likes.  

He also had significant monetary resources, which is of course useful, and decades of name recognition.  Many people already bought into his Art of the Deal / Apprentice persona, even though people who tracked him knew those were ********.  He wasn't some master-negotiator.  He was just a con who would refuse to pay, go to court, and bully people.  He lost tons of money for tons of people.  But for many people, he was the guy on the cover, and now he was saying out loud the hateful/conspiracy-laden **** that they had been saying/thinking privately. They liked it and voted for it.  

There are plenty of not-bright people (particularly rich, white men), who fail upward continually.  That he has failed the farthest upward doesn't mean you should ascribe to him some thoughtfulness and subtlety that is not supported by anything in his multi-decade public existence.

 

10 hours ago, Serge said:

Why did y'all think so many media figures were so confident Trump was going down before the Mueller report came out? They obviously didn't know that the evidence was there; they were confident because their media friends were confident and because of what Trump did and how he acted during the investigation. And they said the whole time the reason he kept shouting "No Collusion!" at the CNN cameras was essentially impenetrable, because Trump's such an idiot he wouldn't know better than to do that just to do it.

And when he started acting the way he did towards Putin, they said it had to be a criminal conspiracy of some sort, because come on, why else would he act like that with Vladimir Putin of all people? It's blackmail, or a business relationship, or sexual? But it's something, because Trump wouldn't act that way if he wasn't hiding something. He doesn't think like a person, he doesn't have interiority or self-reflection, much less the capacity to deceive, so it's entirely linear, he must be acting that way because he's hiding something compromising in that specific relationship.

Welp, turns out he was actually doing all that because he wanted to frame the results of the investigation as total vindication, despite the potential obstruction, because there was "No Collusion!" with Putin or with Russian spies. He kept shouting that at the cameras, and kept acting like he was personally fond of Vladimir Putin, because he wanted the media to fixate on a potential criminal enterprise between him and Putin, and the public to think of that when they think of the Mueller investigation, so that the failure of that exciting narrative would diminish the public's interest in the investigation as a whole.

You'd think all the smart guys in the media woulda caught up to that and explained it, if not then, then certainly by now, seeing as how they probably need to be able to explain it to beat Trump in 2020, but since they can't allow for Trump to have thought as far ahead as the real end of the investigation, for them Trump's just as impenetrable and unpredictable as ever. I assume Stephen Colbert still laughs to himself thinking about Trump wanting to get it on with Putin. Bill Maher hates himself.

So it was essentially a coincidence that he knew to pick fights with CNN specifically and act like he's infatuated with Vladimir Putin. He's a total dumb*** that just happened to get most of his loudest detractors hooked on a conspiracy that would ultimately undermine their credibility and diminish the public's faith in the media and in investigations into Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

The book whose ghost writer stated that it was mostly BS.

There is also a funny anecdote from the producers of The Apprentice where they had to add to their set expenses to clean Trump's office since he clearly hadn't used it for over a decade. Also said the only reason they brought him on was because they thought it was funny to make a notoriously bad/failed businessman the face of their business themed show.

Yeah and we are just how funny it is now. :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

    

The “right people in the right places” so far includes...

Paul Manafort

Rick Gates

Michael Flynn

Michael Cohen

Steve Bannon

Rex Tillerson

Sebastia Gorka

Anthony Scaramuci

^^^That’s a partial list, and doesn’t even include people Trump nominated that had to withdraw because of things like domestic violence and corruption.  

That’s a funny definition of “the right people”.

Not to mention the countless positions that remain unfilled.

Big_Dog and Leon Troutsky like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

The book whose ghost writer stated that it was mostly BS.

Everybody loved Trump until he got political and had an R by his name.

Like most things with Trump, I suspect that the author's distaste for the book now is politically motivated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

Not to mention the countless positions that remain unfilled.

Yes he should fill those positions so that more great work can be done.

As for the people that were either fired or resigned, that's exactly what I'm talking about when I said he holds people accountable for results.  Something previous administrations weren't very good at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Everybody loved Trump until he got political and had an R by his name.

Like most things with Trump, I suspect that the author's distaste for the book now is politically motivated.

lol

mdrake34 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Everybody loved Trump until he got political and had an R by his name.

 

1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

Making up alternate realities yet again.

Example.  Could this happen today?
 

Do supporters of Donald Trump really support what Trump ...

WYSK: I Believe Jesse Jackson Won't Mind... - The Bronx ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Everybody loved Trump until he got political and had an R by his name.

Like most things with Trump, I suspect that the author's distaste for the book now is politically motivated.

He was our very worst celebrity. Worse than Vanilla Ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesse Jackson and the Clintons = EVERYONE!

Being in a picture at an event chatting = LOVING!

No idea why I even bother.

AF89 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, achilles return said:

lol

Not even accounting for the money that he inherited....which was in the millions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

    

The “right people in the right places” so far includes...

Paul Manafort

Rick Gates

Michael Flynn

Michael Cohen

Steve Bannon

Rex Tillerson

Sebastia Gorka

Anthony Scaramuci

^^^That’s a partial list, and doesn’t even include people Trump nominated that had to withdraw because of things like domestic violence and corruption.  

That’s a funny definition of “the right people”.

BOOM!  Rename him LedgendaryDumbass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now