Jpowors

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

43,066 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, The Legendary SB said:

Please play nice, I can't respond in kind since I'm on parole...  :ninja:

Another interesting tidbit is that the 3/5ths compromise actually came from the north not the south.  The south wanted to count slaves as whole people.  The 3/5ths compromise actually benefited the north as it took away power from the south.  

At least you avoided the dreaded "chewing out" way worse than being banned lol.

Edited by T-Falcon

5 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Please play nice, I can't respond in kind since I'm on parole...  :ninja:

Another interesting tidbit is that the 3/5ths compromise actually came from the north not the south.  The south wanted to count slaves as whole people.  The 3/5ths compromise actually benefited the north as it took away power from the south.  

It's not really an interesting tidbit. The Southern delegation wanted their slaves to fully count to balance out the population difference between Northern and Southern states. The Northern delegation countered that it was ridiculous to do that since the slaves couldn't vote for the representation they were being counted towards and since the Southern states didn't even consider them people to start with.

One Southern tantrum later and we got the 3/5 compromise.

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

It's not really an interesting tidbit. The Southern delegation wanted their slaves to fully count to balance out the population difference between Northern and Southern states. The Northern delegation countered that it was ridiculous to do that since the slaves couldn't vote for the representation they were being counted towards and since the Southern states didn't even consider them people.

One Southern tantrum later and we got the 3/5 compromise.

That's how you see it. That's not what happened

Just now, T-Falcon said:

That's how you see it. That's not what happened

I'm sure in your mind the non-racist ones in that scenario were the ones who owned other human beings.

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

I'm sure in your mind the non-racist ones in that scenario were the ones who owned other human beings.

I'm sure you are wrong. Both sides were very much racist in the 1700s and 1800s

6 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

and your position is that this didn't have any impact on immigration policies in the 1700s and 1800s?

Door Gunner and falconsd56 like this

Just now, T-Falcon said:

Oh, they were. Don't really need to look further than outright discounting natives for citizenship.

Doesn't change the fact that is how it went. It all came down to the South wanting to count slaves for representation that they could not actually participate with or receive as to 'balance' the House and the Northern delegation viewed that for the sham it was.

15 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

At least you avoided the dreaded "chewing out" way worse than being banned lol.

You keep whining about conservatives being banned. Can you give me the list? I figure it has to be extensive.

16 minutes ago, Carl Showalter said:

Except I've not said "he's stupid therefore...," despite you trying to frame it like that.  I've said he's acting exactly as he has for the past several decades, and that nothing about his behavior over the past several decades has suggested he has the kind of thoughtfulness you describe while everything about how he's acted the past several decades suggests that what he currently does is driven by narcissism and desperate need for attention.  Likewise, all of the evidence and reporting on him shows he frequently ignores and undermines those "people who have spent their adult lives trying to figure out how to upend perceived liberal bias in the media" because again, he doesn't have the patience, subtlety, humility, or intellectual curiosity to consistently stick with some sort of thoughtful plan of attack.

I just think it's reasonable to assume that when Trump says/does/tweets dumb ****, it's much more likely a result of the same tendencies that caused him to say/do/tweet stupid **** in the past than it is to assume it's because he's implementing a strategic plan.

I mean, I'd love it if I could find that old @Psychic Gibbon post and edit it:

Trump: *hits himself in the balls with a hammer* Owwww.

Us: "what the ****"

Serge, chuckling: "he's playing y'all like a fiddle."

If he's constantly changing the people around him and acting on his own whims, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume he's acting on strategy independent from any of the people he temporarily surrounds himself with to reach his ends? Or that, ****, maybe he gets something out of those relationships even if he doesn't let them last? Unless you don't think he has a strategy, he's just Trump being Trump, and he literally cannot internalize a strategy that would take 60 whole seconds to flesh out. It's just a coincidence that Russiagate worked out so well for him, and he was useful enough to the real elites to get elected in 2016 despite being Donald Trump.

17 minutes ago, Carl Showalter said:

Like, do you really think he does/says/tweets this **** because some strategic advisors are telling him: "Ok, so first, stay up crazy late watching Fox News.  In fact, watch Fox News 14 hours a day.  Then, tweet off firestorms literally anytime someone says anything about you, liberals, the media, products, football, or celebrities.  Get into twitter feuds with star athletes.  and definitely speak in long, often incoherent sentences that inevitably return to glorifying you in some way."

I mean, it's so much more probable that a bunch of ****** right-wingers saw the opportunity to exploit him to achieve their ends.  Sometimes it works, because his inane tweeting and speaking covers for the **** they're trying to do through him.  Sometimes it backfires because his inane tweeting and speaking exposes the **** they're trying to do through him.  

Why would he need a strategic adviser to tell him it ****s with liberals when he misspells words? It's outwardly hilarious.  He probably laughs and thinks about the next time he ****s with the grammar police.

Just now, Serge said:

Why would he need a strategic adviser to tell him it ****s with liberals when he misspells words? It's outwardly hilarious.  He probably laughs and thinks about the next time he ****s with the grammar police.

Why would you think he started misspelling words and tweeting out crazy tweets about haters and stuff just to **** with liberals when he's literally done that kind of **** for years and years before politics?  Again, I don't think he's too dumb to spell simple words.  I think he feels the desperate compulsion to **** out tweets at all hours about any dumb ******* topic and sometimes his fat ******* fingers can't keep up with the odd narcissistic thoughts trying to escape his head.

5 minutes ago, Serge said:

It's just a coincidence that Russiagate worked out so well for him, and he was useful enough to the real elites to get elected in 2016 despite being Donald Trump.

Yes to the first part and on the second, he won both because of and despite being Donald Trump and the elites had to simply adjust to him getting elected in one of the strangest elections ever in which he got almost three million less votes than the other person.

Just now, Carl Showalter said:

Why would you think he started misspelling words and tweeting out crazy tweets about haters and stuff just to **** with liberals when he's literally done that kind of **** for years and years before politics?  Again, I don't think he's too dumb to spell simple words.  I think he feels the desperate compulsion to **** out tweets at all hours about any dumb ******* topic and sometimes his fat ******* fingers can't keep up with the odd narcissistic thoughts trying to escape his head.

I don't see why that compulsion conflicts with anything I've said. I mean isn't that all of us at some point or another?

Just now, Carl Showalter said:

Yes to the first part and on the second, he won both because of and despite being Donald Trump and the elites had to simply adjust to him getting elected in one of the strangest elections ever in which he got almost three million less votes than the other person.

He's a racist game show host. He might have won because he told people what they wanted to hear and represented what they wanted him to represent, but he didn't win anything "because" he's Donald Trump. If anything he won "because" he showed the right-wing media he knows how to use Donald Trump as a way to make the left hurt itself.

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

some homeschooling material is extremely vile. 

What kind?

50 minutes ago, achilles return said:

Being afraid of JD is like being afraid of Ben Simmons at the 3pt line. 

@T-Falcon In your interpretation, undocumented people shouldn't be counted because they are not taxed. So does that mean you also think Citizens and legal residents shouldn't be counted if they are not taxed as well? Should children and the elderly be excluded?

falconsd56 likes this

1 minute ago, GEORGIAfan said:

@T-Falcon In your interpretation, undocumented people shouldn't be counted because they are not taxed. So does that mean you also think Citizens and legal residents shouldn't be counted if they are not taxed as well? Should children and the elderly be excluded?

They are citizens so it's an irrelevant question