Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

30,836 posts in this topic

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

Conservatives: The EC was in no way formed because of slavery.

James Madison: The EC was formed because of slavery.

Conservatives:

tenor.gif

Madison wanted popular vote, doesn't mean everyone else did. 

The Legendary SB likes this

3 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

You know, we should suggest that North Korea allow opposition parties to run in the election and that the regime should stop murdering and killing those who speak out against it.  The president should be chosen by the majority of North Koreans.

T-Falcon:  Why do you want to delegitimize an election????

The stupidity of this post is flabbergasting

2 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

When people seek ways to delegitimize an election by trying to manipulate around the Constitution they are going to meet resistance.

Yeah, resistance from 30% of the public, most of whom want it just because they think it helps their party win.  

I think the other 65-70% of us are okay with changing the rules to be more fair.

1 hour ago, Serge said:

So it was essentially a coincidence that he knew to pick fights with CNN specifically and act like he's infatuated with Vladimir Putin. He's a total dumb*** that just happened to get most of his loudest detractors hooked on a conspiracy that would ultimately undermine their credibility and diminish the public's faith in the media and in investigations into Trump.

First, I've been saying he's "not-too-bright" and the like, not that he's a "total dumb***."  To the extent I've said something like the latter before, I assure you it was hyperbole.

Second, it's not coincidence.  He picks fights in very public ways because that's what he's always done.  He's obsessive and impulsive, and craves attention and verification-of-his-genius above basically everything else..  And he fawns over dictators not as part of some scheme, but because he likes that they can do whatever the **** they want and sees himself similarly. 

And what I've just described also describes basically how he's always been and the people he's fawned over.  What you're describing would be completely out of character for him, as if at age 70 he just became this other person whose compulsive narcissistic rants for attention are something more than that, more than what they've always been.

Like I've said, the apparatus around him is basically exactly as you have described.  But there is little evidence that he has ever been capable of the kind of systemic, subtle, thoughtful actions that you're attributing to him, yet you seem to think everyone else has it wrong about him.  He's no more what you describe than he is what the right-ring describes (some crime fighting genius super man), he is exactly who he has always been.  Just now he's doing it from the White House.

Just now, The Legendary SB said:

I see a lot of ad hominem here which is a typical lefty tactic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

No, actually ad hominem is more typically a right-wing tactic, along with:

1. Ad ignorantiam, which is to claim something is true because it cannot be proven false. (Birtherism)

2. Si Conclusion (Assuming the conclusion) - A subcategory of “begging the question," which is also a subcategory of circular reasoning. (You hear this all the time on Fox News when a host says something has been "well-reported on this and other networks," when it fact they are just quoting each other.)

3. TU QUOQUE - when those on the right attempts to appeal to their own hypocrisy by focusing on the acts of the people or person making the argument, as opposed to addressing the merits of the actual argument. (ie. Fishermen can’t protest offshore drilling because their fishing poles were “trucked to the store.”)

4. Remota Causa - (Avoiding the issue) - *see Ad hominem* - Never addresses the facts someone presents to them, but brings up the number of undocumented immigrants in the nation or the city of Chicago as a case in point for, whatever.

5. Argumentum Ad Populum - calling a person you disagree with names (*see adhominem) or by saying that person you disagree with is a bad person because of (*ie. communism). It cast judgment on the person's argument by casting judgment upon the person making the argument.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeah, resistance from 30% of the public, most of whom want it just because they think it helps their party win.  

I think the other 65-70% of us are okay with changing the rules to be more fair.

Has nothing to do with party wins. We've had basically the same number of Democrats as republican presidents. This is a stupid argument. You keep making these terrible arguments.

4 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

Madison wanted popular vote, doesn't mean everyone else did. 

You're right: Southern slave owners didn't, just as he said.

3 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

When people seek ways to delegitimize an election by trying to manipulate around the Constitution they are going to meet resistance.

No one has suggested anything other than purely legal means to change the manner in which we elect a POTUS, Straw Mannerson.

You're right: Southern slave owners didn't, just as he said.

Madison. Was a filthy Federalists anyway

Just now, eatcorn said:

No one has suggested anything other than purely legal means to change the manner in which we elect a POTUS, Straw Mannerson.

Yes they have. It's literally a pact right now to undermine 2020 election

Just now, Statick said:

No, actually ad hominem is more typically a right-wing tactic, along with:

1. Ad ignorantiam, which is to claim something is true because it cannot be proven false. (Birtherism)

2. Si Conclusion (Assuming the conclusion) - A subcategory of “begging the question," which is also a subcategory of circular reasoning. (You hear this all the time on Fox News when a host says something has been "well-reported on this and other networks," when it fact they are just quoting each other.)

3. TU QUOQUE - when those on the right attempts to appeal to their own hypocrisy by focusing on the acts of the people or person making the argument, as opposed to addressing the merits of the actual argument. (ie. Fishermen can’t protest offshore drilling because their fishing poles were “trucked to the store.”)

4. Remota Causa - (Avoiding the issue) - *see Ad hominem* - Never addresses the facts someone presents to them, but brings up the number of undocumented immigrants in the nation or the city of Chicago as a case in point for, whatever.

5. Argumentum Ad Populum - calling a person you disagree with names (*see adhominem) or by saying that person you disagree with is a bad person because of (*ie. communism). It cast judgment on the person's argument by casting judgment upon the person making the argument.

You're talking to the buffoon that ranted and raved about Obama being a communist purely based on a guilt by association fallacy. He simply doesn't understand basic logic.

Just now, T-Falcon said:

:lol:

Madison was one of the authors of The Federalist Papers, yes.  

But he was opposed to Hamilton’s Federalist Party and helped form the opposition party with Jefferson.  

I think we should take a moment to appreciate the fact that conservatives, saying we must avoid mob rule at all costs, keep threatening an armed revolt if they don't get what they want.

No one is threatening am armed revolt

1 minute ago, T-Falcon said:

Ad hominem attacks against a Founding Father? Tsk, tsk.

Ad hominem attacks against a Founding Father? Tsk, tsk.

I thought you Leftist hated our founding fathers and documents and Constitution and all that jazz. I figured you would appreciate.

What they are doing is legal and constitutional.  You literally just quoted the 10th amendment.

1 minute ago, eatcorn said:

You're talking to the buffoon that ranted and raved about Obama being a communist purely based on a guilt by association fallacy. He simply doesn't understand basic logic.

I know, I know.

I figured some actual logic would pop his brainstem.

1 minute ago, Boner said:

Eatcorn finally lost his patience. 

I'm just kind of amazed, frankly. 

2 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

Well if you keep saying it, it MUST be true.

Leon Troutsky likes this

I thought you Leftist hated our founding fathers and documents and Constitution 

Yeah, we know. You think a lot of dumb stuff.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

He does it every. Single. Time.  Says, or strongly implies something, then retreats and denies saying or denying it.  At least he's transparent in his bad faith.

Psychic Gibbon likes this