Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

7,722 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

A lot of people playing really loose with the word treason the past decade or so.

Blame the Kochs and their T-Party

15 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

When you find out that AOC is an Indie wrestling fan.

When you find out that some dude that works for an independent wrestling company can speak on the issue more eloquently and with better understanding than 95% of our elected officials...:sadwave:

But then when you get to really thinkiny about it.....if common sense is hitting there it's just a matter of time. We just got to get these other folks out of office.

Wouldn't it be awesome that just once, the people of this nation would see us getting into another bullsh*t war and simply say, "No. Not this time", then actually hold people accountable?

But that never happens. At this point, pretty much both sides acknowledge that the Iraq war was a disaster but literally the same people responsible for that sh*tshow are going to be allowed to lead us into another catastrophic war.

AF89, mdrake34, Carter and 1 other like this

8 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Wouldn't it be awesome that just once, the people of this nation would see us getting into another bullsh*t war and simply say, "No. Not this time", then actually hold people accountable?

But that never happens. At this point, pretty much both sides acknowledge that the Iraq war was a disaster but literally the same people responsible for that sh*tshow are going to be allowed to lead us into another catastrophic war.

We’ve spent a billion dollars A DAY for the past 18 years on the “war on terror.” Can you even imagine the utopia this country could be if we spent that domestically? 

15 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I dunno. I'm only 29 but I'm feeling alot more general cynicism about all this nonsense than I remember 15ish years ago. It's kinda also the most anti war I can ever remember certain pockets of the rightwing media bubble ever publicly being, even if it's more or less just a by product of their cultural isolationism (but that's a low bar considering one of my earliest political memories is "freedom fries").

Probably just being optimist, but I really do think politicans might not be able to expect the same approval boosts thier predecessors always got...

then again I bet our parents said that same thing after Vietnam

Jpowers likes this

3 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

We’ve spent a billion dollars A DAY for the past 18 years on the “war on terror.” Can you even imagine the utopia this country could be if we spent that domestically? 

Which is why anyone who says, "HoW CaN wE aFfOrD tHaT?!" when talking about healthcare or education should immediately be hit over the head with a tack hammer.

Just now, AF89 said:

I dunno. I'm only 29 but I'm feeling alot more general cynicism about all this nonsense than I remember 15ish years ago. It's kinda also the most anti war I can ever remember certain pockets of the rightwing media bubble ever publicly being, even if it's more or less just a by product of their cultural isolationism (but that's a low bar considering one of my earliest political memories is "freedom fries").

Probably just being optimist, but I really do think politicans might not be able to expect the same approval boosts thier predecessors always got...

then again I bet our parents said that after Vietnam

Maybe.

But I'm older. I remember the "liberal" media being at the front of the line to bang the drums of war. CNN loves the ratings of a good war more than they hate a conservative president. The next time they oppose a foreign intervention will be the first time.

mdrake34, lostone and Carter like this

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Maybe.

But I'm older. I remember the "liberal" media being at the front of the line to bang the drums of war. CNN loves the ratings of a good war more than they hate a conservative president. The next time they oppose a foreign intervention will be the first time.

I think we have moved beyond that though.

Even the Ben Shapiro's of the world are against another war. At least right now they are. The Bill Kristols are far and few between. I can't think of a single big "media" personality who is for a war with Iran.

2 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

It's a utopia for the people who make money off it.

Carl Showalter and mdrake34 like this

Honestly it feels like to me that the generation who fought the useless wars is coming in to power. We're the voting block you want to pay attention to if you want to last. We are still fighting those wars actually.

Trump of all people is one who actually gets this. He ****s it all up but he actually gets that part.

Just now, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Maybe.

That's the thing. Used to be the small anti war voice was kind of the sole provence of the social far left with maybe some religious objectors sprinkled in.

Kind of seems like maybe the war hawks have  started shrinking back to the ideological center since the post 9/11 years. It's the closest thing to a reedeming quality I've ever been able to find in (some) of the tea party/alt right is at least they pay lip service to libertarian attitudes of foreign interventionlism. It's probably the only reason Trump keeps talking out of both sides of his mouth on this stuff.

Honestly we'll probably never know till all the boomers and foriegn policy think tank ivy league pupils have been replaced in Washington  (be they former Bush cronies or those kids from Pod Save America), but for the first time in my memory, I'm sorta somewhat confident in the public to start punishing this stuff

7 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

It’s only a matter of time. Always just a matter of time. As long as corporations run this country there will always be another conflict somewhere to exploit for their profits, while the taxpayers and common people pay the price. Send the poor to die so these multi national corporations can make more billions.

There was a whole other war in Laos coinciding with the Vietnam War that has never been taught in the United States to my knowledge. We lost both. It was possibly the turning point of the CIA from intelligence gathering into being a militaristic organization. We dropped so many bombs on Laos that it averages out to a planeload every 8 minutes, every day, for a decade. It was mostly over control of opium, which is a major part of the war in Afghanistan as well that they have managed to keep mostly quiet.

The people of this country don’t understand how badly we are manipulated. It’s insane.

32 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Which is why anyone who says, "HoW CaN wE aFfOrD tHaT?!" when talking about healthcare or education should immediately be hit over the head with a tack hammer.

Why are you weak on terror and Why do you hate our troops??

Barney's nut shack shade of purple btw

1 hour ago, Jpowers said:

As a side note

Holy ******* **** it's hot. My Memorial day plans are not dying while grilling. I am considering not using the fire to cook the meat. Let it suffer slowly like me.

I've been in the Smoky Mountains on vacation for the past week and just got back yesterday. It was 101 here today. Even with the pool it was miserable. I'm not grilling **** tomorrow.

Jpowers and Sn4tteRBoxXeR like this