Jpizzle

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

75,664 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I'm not saying it's a bad argument,  just pointing out (after last week) that the law is the law regardless of any moral standards was pretty much the battle cry of the crown loyalists 250+ years ago.

But beyond that,  actually getting a law changed thru congress and courts is more of a finishing line than a starting position

Also, and this is kind of important, SB is flat wrong about the asylum laws.  

AF89 and Gritzblitz 2.0 like this

When Buddhists turn to terrorism and violence, you know the world is out of whack...

‘Our Duty to Fight’: The Rise of Militant Buddhism

A call to arms for Sri Lankan monks. Ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya in Myanmar. A Buddhist faith known for pacifism is taking its place in a new age of nationalism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/world/asia/buddhism-militant-rise.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Incited by a politically powerful network of charismatic monks like Sumedhananda Thero, Buddhists have entered the era of militant tribalism, casting themselves as spiritual warriors who must defend their faith against an outside force.

33 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

If this country ever started really going communist then I will go somewhere else and leave you with the misery that you have created.

That's not saying I am leaving.  That's an IF...THEN statement.  Just so there's no confusion (again).  

You told the ENTIRE board that you were leaving the country TWICE.  The only person confused is you!!!

Leon Troutsky likes this

1 minute ago, Andrews_31 said:

You told the ENTIRE board that you were leaving the country TWICE.  The only person confused is you!!!

It's even more laughable.  He said he was looking to get transferred overseas because of the ACA.  But in fairness to SB, that was before he started looking at other advanced democracies and realized all of them had socialized health care.  So he shut up and left the boards for several months.

Andrews_31 likes this

1 hour ago, Jpowers said:

Vicious had to be the freakiest transformation I have ever seen.

It literally went from "I'm not that into politics really" to "The Marines have invaded Langley and the Clinton's are running a child trafficking ring through a pizzeria. The storm is coming" in less than a month.

That invasion story took the cake! lol 

11 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Evangelicals are the worst. Truly the scum of our country.

Wonder what these numbers would look like if they say European immigrants.

19 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

When Buddhists turn to terrorism and violence, you know the world is out of whack...

‘Our Duty to Fight’: The Rise of Militant Buddhism

A call to arms for Sri Lankan monks. Ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya in Myanmar. A Buddhist faith known for pacifism is taking its place in a new age of nationalism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/world/asia/buddhism-militant-rise.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Incited by a politically powerful network of charismatic monks like Sumedhananda Thero, Buddhists have entered the era of militant tribalism, casting themselves as spiritual warriors who must defend their faith against an outside force.

Also from the article...

Prevailing anti-Muslim sentiment worldwide has heightened prejudice, with social media playing a corrosive role. During the height of the junta’s power, unauthorized fax machines were illegal in Myanmar, and the media was censored. Today, much of the population is on Facebook, ill-equipped to sift hyperbole from fact.

“I’ve been interviewing so many monks, and it is clear that Facebook is what has been driving their hate,” said Ms. Khin Mar Mar Kyi of the University of Oxford. “Monks learned that Islamophobia existed in the West, and they felt like it justified their feelings.”

This really is an important article that everyone should read.  The Rohingnyan genocide is one of the most disgustingly underreported stories.  One of my students is now overseas interviewing Rohingnyan refugees living in Bangladesh and the abuses they suffered are horrific.  Only place that I can think of that's more effed up would be the Central African Congo, where a few years ago they were literally eating the enemies they killed.

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also from the article...

This really is an important article that everyone should read.  The Rohingnyan genocide is one of the most disgustingly underreported stories.  One of my students is now overseas interviewing Rohingnyan refugees living in Bangladesh and the abuses they suffered are horrific.  Only place that I can think of that's more effed up would be the Central African Congo, where a few years ago they were literally eating the enemies they killed.

Facebook ruins lives.

1 hour ago, HolyMoses said:

My older son came  by the office today for a workout at the gym downstairs.  We were both kind of doing our own thing and I was watching him thinking about how freaky it was that I could be old enough to have that guy be my son. I was also pretty proud of him.  

Stay in shape...life is good

Livin' the dream

11 minutes ago, Boner said:

Facebook ruins lives.

I'm not even exaggerating...I am slowly coming to the belief that social media might be the biggest threat to world peace we've ever seen.  One country after another, especially in developing countries without an established independent media, has seen social media used to spread lies and hatred against minority groups.  And it's resulted so far in hundreds of thousands of murders, rapes, and tortures around the globe.  

It's terrifying how dangerous and insidious it is.  

22 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also from the article...

Buddhists are turning to terrorism?

The writers are just ******* with us now.

Leon Troutsky likes this

Somebody, maybe JPowers, mentioned how quickly Vicious changed once he got sucked into the right wing rabbit hole.  It's shocking how quickly people can be radicalized through social media.  It's almost the same phenomenon that ISIS used to radicalized people around the globe.  Several people were radicalized within weeks.  That's only possible through social media.  And I see the exact same dynamic here in the US ("red pills") and around the world.  

Door Gunner and Sn4tteRBoxXeR like this

9 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

CNN Poll: Overwhelming Majority Wants Investigation into Obama DOJ Spying on Trump

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Leon Troutsky likes this

56 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also from the article...

Talking about Congo made me think of something. This guy is like my 3rd cousin or something. Anyways he lived in Africa for a years as a correspondent for the AP. It's not a fun read but man some of the **** he saw is insane. He was right in the middle of some of it in Congo.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Things-Must-Fight-Live/dp/1596913452/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=all+things+must+fight+to+live&qid=1562627094&s=gateway&sprefix=all+things+must+fi&sr=8-1

Leon Troutsky likes this

51 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Somebody, maybe JPowers, mentioned how quickly Vicious changed once he got sucked into the right wing rabbit hole.  It's shocking how quickly people can be radicalized through social media.  It's almost the same phenomenon that ISIS used to radicalized people around the globe.  Several people were radicalized within weeks.  That's only possible through social media.  And I see the exact same dynamic here in the US ("red pills") and around the world.  

the nazis get what is called "black pilled"

some in this thread are on that path

54 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Buddhists are turning to terrorism?

The writers are just ******* with us now.

I think Buddhists are the (or at least one of but I'm not an expert here) driving factors behind the genocide in Myamar currently as well

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this