Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

25,186 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Da fuq are you talking about???

Oh my bad.  I must have thought he was one of your alts for a moment, since he is MIA.  But any who, since you're here, is Bali safe enough to go to these days as a Westerner?  I've been to Phuket, Boracay, Tahiti, but never Indonesia and it has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  I'm not much for the night life, only the beach, snorkeling, and the resorts.

Edited by Red&Black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Red&Black said:

Oh my bad.  I must have thought he was one of your alts for a moment, since he is MIA.  But any who, since you're here, is Bali safe enough to go to these days as a Westerner?  I've been to Phuket, Boracay, Tahiti, but never Indonesia and it has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  I'm not much for the night life, only the beach, snorkeling, and the resorts.

Bali is always safe for foreigners...it’s where all the drunk Australians go for vacation.  I would recommend Lombok — the island just next Bali — which has great beaches to the south (Kuta), great surfing on the western coast (Senggigi especially), and world class snorkeling and diving to the northwest (Gigi Islands). 

If you want some place where a bunch of white people get drunk, stoned, and screw prostitutes, then Kuta in Bali is your place.  Ubud is away from all that, up in the mountains with waterfalls and monkey forests, but still very touristy.  

Bali’s great and everyone speaks English.  Rich cultural history and lots of great Hindu temples to explore.  But why not see the rich Javanese history with the shadow puppets and Buddhist temples in Central Java?  Or stand on top of Mount Bromo in East Java?  Or visit Padang, which has some of the best food in the region?  Or maybe you could visit the other side of the country, like Manado and experience an Indonesian Pentecostal church service?  And you could take a few days north of Manado in Bunakan, which has the most pristine coral reefs and best blue marlin fishing in the area?  Pay special attention to the giant Jesus statue that welcomes you to the city of Manado, and then perhaps take the 2 hour drive to the “extreme market” where you can buy dog, bats, rats, and all kinds of weird and crazy foods?

If you’re an experienced diver, then I’d suggest a trek out to Raja Ampat, which my friends have told me is absolutely the best diving in the world, much better than the Great Barrier Reefs.  

Or you could change things up completely and go to Flores.  Stay a night or two in Labuan Bajo and hire a boat to do a trip to Komodo Island and see the dragons?  You’ll find Flores to be kind of dry and desert-like, with a lot of horses on a relatively unpopulated island.  

I mean, asking about Indonesia is very similar to asking about America.  There is no “this is Indonesia” just like there’s no “this is America”.  It’s a massive country where the people, culture, and food are completely different every 700 miles you travel in either direction.  

And unlike Phuket, most places in Indonesia don’t smell like piss and vodka.  Except for Kuta, Bali...which most definitely smells like piss and beer (particularly Bintang, which is basically a watered down Foster’s).

Edit:  I forgot to add that if you visit Central Java, then a trip to Salatiga is a must, especially to Satya Wacana Christian University, where I studied Indonesian language for a few months.  And you’ll even have time left over to visit Sam Poo Kong, a Chinese temple in Semarang built in the early 1400’s that is still used for worship services by Buddhists, Confucians, Muslims, and occasionally Christians for their religious services.  There is also the little village in the mountains south of Manado (north Sulawesi) where they have a single place of worship for five different religions, the followers of each religion living in harmony and peace with each other in the same tiny little village.  

Carter likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, just because it popped in my head...I went to this little restaurant on the outer edge of Salatiga called “Koinonia” (an obviously Christian reference) and had some fairly authentic chicken and waffles.  Not something I ever expected to find in Central Java, Indonesia.  

Also, in Jakarta, they have a popular seafood restaurant called “Cut the Crab”.  

Also, in Senggigi, one of the only two bars in the entire town is called “Honky Tonk’s”, and the house band specializes in blues.  Their version of Buddy Guy’s “You **** Right I Got the Blues” is one of the best covers I’ve ever heard of that song.

Carter likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammit @Red&Black, now you’ve got me jacked up about my next visit to Indonesia, which won’t be until the summer of next year.  

The grilled pork (sate sapi) in Salatiga still haunts my soul.  So does the bakso in Solo and the Rawon Satan in Surabaya.  And the fried tempe in Central Java is the best in the world.  I can’t even stomach the crap they sell to liberal hippy vegans at Whole Foods.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't find joking about reparations or slavery funny.

For many years now, I've done thought experiments where think about a person or event and switch the races, switch the genders and see how I would interpret the scenario differently, mainly to see if there was some bias in myself that was unfair or unjust, or even just to "think about something in an explicitly different but analogous way."

I did that with Hillary Clinton early on when she was running for President in '16 and it's the main reason I prefer to call her Clinton because that's what we do with male nominees as well. Regardless of how she brands herself, in my view, calling her just "Hillary" is demeaning. The same can be said about "Bernie" or "Donald."

Back to the point...

A year or two ago I was thinking about my undisclosed, non-black heritage and how much my grandparents and their families "mean" to me. It's not so much that they shape my decisions now, but in the back of my mind, the "ancestors" are always there, and indisputable, they aren't like opinions that can change... they are my personal history...

well I was thinking about what it would be like if my nearest ancestors were enslaved by other white people in this country... how that would make me feel about those slavers, even now...

the grief I would feel for my ancestors that had to endure that hardship...

People like to joke and everything about slavery... it's just not funny IMO. It's callous. The same as people that joke about the holocaust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

I just don't find joking about reparations or slavery funny.

For many years now, I've done thought experiments where think about a person or event and switch the races, switch the genders and see how I would interpret the scenario differently, mainly to see if there was some bias in myself that was unfair or unjust, or even just to "think about something in an explicitly different but analogous way."

I did that with Hillary Clinton early on when she was running for President in '16 and it's the main reason I prefer to call her Clinton because that's what we do with male nominees as well. Regardless of how she brands herself, in my view, calling her just "Hillary" is demeaning. The same can be said about "Bernie" or "Donald."

Back to the point...

A year or two ago I was thinking about my undisclosed, non-black heritage and how much my grandparents and their families "mean" to me. It's not so much that they shape my decisions now, but in the back of my mind, the "ancestors" are always there, and indisputable, they aren't like opinions that can change... they are my personal history...

well I was thinking about what it would be like if my nearest ancestors were enslaved by other white people in this country... how that would make me feel about those slavers, even now...

the grief I would feel for my ancestors that had to endure that hardship...

People like to joke and everything about slavery... it's just not funny IMO. It's callous. The same as people that joke about the holocaust.

Regardless of your color you've likely had ancestors who were slaves of someone.

My Scottish ancestors were absolutely slaves of England for centuries.

Also in my dna test was a strange Norwegian decent from the Scottish side of the family. So you can imagine how that terrible circumstance worked out seeing as no one was of Norwegian decent in the marriage lineage.. 

There's Congolese in my dna. Not a ton but it's there. More than Warren is Native American.

There's German and French and Irish and other things all mixed in there.

But when you break it down The Persians, Babylonians, Greeks, Romans, Carthage, Mongols, enslaved tons of colors and cultures. There isn't a color or group of humans on this planet that have interacted with the rest of society that hasn't feel victim to it in the past. 

And yet I've never looked at a British person today and thought that low down monster's ancestors enslaved my ancestors and so I hate them or feel some sort of way about them. I chalk it up to a vicious world of the past where people did evil things to each other that we wouldn't do. So why hate them or think they owe me anything? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Leon Troutsky maaaan I discovered this ramen restaurant here in town that is just amazing. Authentic Japanese style. I took the kids and we all sat back after the first taste and looked at each other and all any of us could say was wow. One of the most delicious meals I’ve ever had. The kids were enjoying learning how to use chopsticks also, especially after I told them I had never used them until I was stationed in Korea and had to learn because they didn’t have any forks lol. My 6 year old son couldn’t believe they don’t just use forks. 

Reminded me of your mie story :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, T-Falcon said:

Regardless of your color you've likely had ancestors who were slaves of someone.

My Scottish ancestors were absolutely slaves of England for centuries.

Also in my dna test was a strange Norwegian decent from the Scottish side of the family. So you can imagine how that terrible circumstance worked out seeing as no one was of Norwegian decent in the marriage lineage.. 

There's Congolese in my dna. Not a ton but it's there. More than Warren is Native American.

There's German and French and Irish and other things all mixed in there.

But when you break it down The Persians, Babylonians, Greeks, Romans, Carthage, Mongols, enslaved tons of colors and cultures. There isn't a color or group of humans on this planet that have interacted with the rest of society that hasn't feel victim to it in the past. 

And yet I've never looked at a British person today and thought that low down monster's ancestors enslaved my ancestors and so I hate them or feel some sort of way about them. I chalk it up to a vicious world of the past where people did evil things to each other that we wouldn't do. So why hate them or think they owe me anything? 

 

Because it’s not that simple in America. So much of this country was built upon slavery and social issues have persisted through generations. There are a ton of people living today who lived through segregation. This isn’t some hundreds of years in the past issue. Redlining is a very real and still relevant thing to this day.

I really don’t know much about the issue of reparations, certainly not enough to comment on it. The fact that slaves have existed in this world for thousands of years though, or small groups of Irish people were also slaves in America, does nothing to address the systemic and institutional problems that need to be addressed by our country here and now. Telling black folks they should just get over it is unacceptable. Denying that it is an issue is one of the biggest problems we have in our society imo. It doesn’t cease to be a problem simply because you don’t experience it.

lostone likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

 

Yep. Easily one of the dumbest things I've seen posted all week. 

Just another guy that didn’t actually read the report, but is going on lack of knowledge to attempt to make fun of others. 

HolyMoses, JayOzOne and Big_Dog like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

 

I did that with Hillary Clinton early on when she was running for President in '16 and it's the main reason I prefer to call her Clinton because that's what we do with male nominees as well. Regardless of how she brands herself, in my view, calling her just "Hillary" is demeaning. The same can be said about "Bernie" or "Donald."

 

Don't feel bad; we've all written stuff while drunk too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

What's sad about the downed drone and the last minute recall of out retaliatory strike is Trump lies so much . . . . . what is the truth?  We need an honest transparent POTUS, not this jerkoff.

Pete 2020 - 2024 Repete

HolyMoses likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

Pete 2020 - 2024 Repete

Anyone, as long as we get numbnuts out of here. The debates will be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, achilles return said:

 

Anyone who is okay with this deserves to be put in the same conditions.  Also you are going to ****.  

Abortion will be mentioned instead of addressing the issue that we have concentration camps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lostone said:

Anyone who is okay with this deserves to be put in the same conditions.  Also you are going to ****.  

Abortion will be mentioned instead of addressing the issue that we have concentration camps.

i genuinely hope antifa targets these facilities for direct action. we need a modern-day john brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, achilles return said:

i genuinely hope antifa targets these facilities for direct action. we need a modern-day john brown.

On the night of May 24, 1856, John Brown and his company of Free State volunteers murdered five men settled along the Pottawatomie Creek in southeastern Kansas. The victims were prominently associated with the pro-slavery Law and Order Party, but were not themselves slave owners. This assault occurred three days after Border Ruffians from Missouri burned and pillaged the anti-slavery haven of Lawrence, and two days after Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner was severely beaten by Senator Preston Brooks of South Carolina. 

Returning to the days of "Bloody Kansas" hardly seems warranted.  Although vigilante justice is an unacknowledged pillar of the justice system, refighting a civil war that was already won is what you are asking for.  Individual acts of civil disobedience are a different matter.  

Remember those Oregon Republican legislators that  fled town to avoid voting and the governor ordered brought back by the state police?  One of them was interviewed and said he was armed and would not go quietly!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Red&Black said:

On the night of May 24, 1856, John Brown and his company of Free State volunteers murdered five men settled along the Pottawatomie Creek in southeastern Kansas. The victims were prominently associated with the pro-slavery Law and Order Party, but were not themselves slave owners. This assault occurred three days after Border Ruffians from Missouri burned and pillaged the anti-slavery haven of Lawrence, and two days after Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner was severely beaten by Senator Preston Brooks of South Carolina. 

Returning to the days of "Bloody Kansas" hardly seems warranted.  Although vigilante justice is an unacknowledged pillar of the justice system, refighting a civil war that was already won is what you are asking for.  Individual acts of civil disobedience are a different matter.  

Remember those Oregon Republican legislators that  fled town to avoid voting and the governor ordered brought back by the state police?  One of them was interviewed and said he was armed and would not go quietly!

 

For climate change legislation to not be voted on vs human rights abuses...

we really want to compare causes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

After this scene, Hasbro went into full must-sell next gen Transformers from there on in the movie. All the kids were like who the **** are these guys? It was just a nonsensical story after that. 

You got the touch...you got the POWUUUUHHHH!

falconsd56, SpongeDad, AF89 and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now