Jpowers

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

26,419 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Serge said:

I never wanted to say this while Jdave was here but Babylon Bee kinda sucks sometimes

FIFY.  They have their hits. . . and their misses.

I've been a fan of his writing for years so I'm pleasantly surprised that Coates is just as good of a speaker. 

I used to equate the two but ESPN's Bill Simmons experiment a few years back showed me that good writing does not translate to good speaking.

Carter likes this

45 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

To @Gritzblitz 2.0's prior point, the final couple of sentences, cut off at the end in this tweet, read as follows:

"But JUSTICE ALITO supplies the fifth vote for today’s judgment and he does not join either the plurality’s constitutional or statutory analysis, indicating instead that he remains willing, in a future case with a full Court, to revisit these matters. Respectfully, I would not wait."

Law and order authoritarians are the worst of all justices, because they subvert the law to reach the desired result.  That is true whether their names are Rehnquist and Alito, or Garland and Kagan.

mdrake34 and Gritzblitz 2.0 like this

For what it's worth, I think Kagan and Alito are good justices (Rehnquist too, and Garland), in that they are reasoned and consistent.  I just vehemently disagree with their approach to such matters.  The Constitution binds the government.  They view their job as cutting the bonds so that "justice" (in their eyes) may be done.  That they often disagree on what "justice" looks like is precisely the reason I disagree so vehemently with that approach.

2 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

Have to give Trump credit where credit is due.  He stopped the airstrike against Iran (for now), which is a good thing.

Leon Troutsky likes this

17 hours ago, Jpowers said:

The fact that you think this is a hate Trump thing is so telling. I'd say he's the one keeping us from escalating the situation right now actually. Your responses about Pompeo and Bolton tell me you know jack**** about them and their previous statements on Iran because it hasn't been force fed to you by whatever it is you read in your right wing bubble. 

"Right wing bubble" ???   Let's just do a simple comparison of CNN and FOX News.   FOX News is hosting several Town Hall meetings for Democrat presidential hopefuls, with a mixed audience of Dems and Reps, while CNN turn the telecast of the President of the United States announcement of his intent to run for re election.  In the Town Halls , the candidates and the audience were allowed  to spew the usual inanities, half truths and LIES about Trump.  Now who lives in a bubble.  ??

6 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

"Right wing bubble" ???   Let's just do a simple comparison of CNN and FOX News.   FOX News is hosting several Town Hall meetings for Democrat presidential hopefuls, with a mixed audience of Dems and Reps, while CNN turn the telecast of the President of the United States announcement of his intent to run for re election.  In the Town Halls , the candidates and the audience were allowed  to spew the usual inanities, half truths and LIES about Trump.  Now who lives in a bubble.  ??

The guy who says you're acting like John Bolton wants a war without being sarcastic.

HolyMoses likes this

12 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

So he gets bashed even when he does the right thing?  Typical.

From what I have seen Trump is *not* a war monger.  

He was against the Iraq war even back when most Democrats were voting for it in congress.  

But that was strategic opposition, not moral objection. And he thought we should have taken Iraq's oil while we were there, so he wasn't any kinda genius on the strategic front, either.

mdrake34 likes this

15 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

So he gets bashed even when he does the right thing?  Typical.

From what I have seen Trump is *not* a war monger.  

He was against the Iraq war even back when most Democrats were voting for it in congress.  

I've yet to see concrete evidence the drone was in international airspace when it was shot down.  It's our military's word vs. Iran's, and I don't trust either one of them.  So excuse me for not praising him for calling off an attack of which we have zero evidence was even justified in the first place.  This is Trump's favorite game, set something on fire, put out the fire, and then take credit for putting out the fire. 

Re: Gundy, it's interesting to me that Ginsberg joined Scalia's dissent in Reynolds, but joined Kagan in this case.  I'd like to hear her reasoning, but she did not render an opinion, so one can only speculate.

6 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I've yet to see concrete evidence the drone was in international airspace when it was shot down.  It's our military's word vs. Iran's, and I don't trust either one of them.  So excuse me for not praising him for calling off an attack of which we have zero evidence was even justified in the first place.  This is Trump's favorite game, set something on fire, put out the fire, and then take credit for putting out the fire. 

I mean, why else would he say that he almost attacked Iran? He wants all the alt-right types that voted for him to think he's resisting the call to war...that he surrounded himself with knowing the time to start a war with Iran would be the later half of his first term.

mdrake34 likes this

7 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

But the Defense Dept put a dot on a map!  Isn’t that enough evidence?

mdrake34 and Door Gunner like this

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

Makes sense. Also, totally ******* insane and majorly ******* sad. Racism in America will always be the thorn that keeps this country from being truly great.

Trevor Noah has said that he prefers the overt racism he experienced as a kid growing up in South Africa as compared to the covert racism in America. He compares it to hot sauce: "There's some hot sauce in where they tell you its hot, but you can't really tell. You put it on your tongue and nothing happens, you can't tell. But maybe tomorrow, you go to use the bathroom and then you're like, "Oh. That WAS hot sauce." I don't like that. I want to know when its happening that its hot sauce."

Just now, The Legendary SB said:

I had no issue with that opinion.  At the time it was the Iraqi people that stood to gain from ousting Saddam and we paid a big price to do that.  The oil would have been to cover the cost of liberation.  That said, I didn't feel strongly about that either way.  In the end I guess they didn't want those nice things we offered anyway (you know...freedom...democracy...etc...).  

You're certainly his target audience when he pats himself on the back for almost starting a war that'd kill a few hundred thousand people.

9 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I trust the military before I trust the our government relaying it to the people.

The majority of the time a military man on the ground is going to do his duty and tell the truth. It's the higher ups that will lie and stretch truths in order to keep from looking bad.

Carter likes this

2 minutes ago, Statick said:

It's the higher ups that will lie and stretch truths in order to keep from looking bad.

Those are the ones I'm worried about in this.  The drone pilot knows exactly where that drone was when it was shot down.  What his superiors then report . . .

53 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

The fake/scm/Dems/lemmings are all disappointed Trump called off the strike because that would've been a week's worth of news ratings and negative Trump ratings.

Trump won the day. He thwarted the press, proved he can go on the attack or not go on the attack.

Well done, sir.

SacFalcFan likes this

2 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The fake/scm/Dems/lemmings are all disappointed Trump called of the strike because that would've been a week's worth of news ratings and negative Trump ratings.

Trump won the day. He thwarted the press, proved he can go on the attack or not go on the attack.

Well done, sir.

The **** does this even mean?

Statick, mdrake34 and Serge like this

5 minutes ago, Serge said:

You're certainly his target audience when he pats himself on the back for almost starting a war that'd kill a few hundred thousand people.

I remember you saying this exact thing when Obama was bombing Libya for 8 straight months. You want a step ladder for that high horse?