Jpizzle

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

66,916 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Maybe. But her point was (and is) that the city can invest the $3 billion that Amazon demanded in other ways to make life better for NYC. Right now, they have the 1,500 jobs AND the $3 billion. The tweet above conveniently ignores the fact that by any standard, the city is 1,500 jobs ahead of where they were. Amazon essentially wanted New York to subsidize the jobs and they can always use that loot to lure businesses if they feel it to be necessary.

Thanks for the clarification.

So if Amazon's offer is still on the table, as you say, the net profit is 1500 jobs...

However, if it's not, the city got the 1500 jobs, but lost the possibility to get the 25'000 (/ 23'500) initial jobs...

Frankly, I have no clue what would be best for the city... It's obvious that it will depend on what will happen tothe $3B..., but even then, I bet that people will judge the situation only depending on whether they like AOC or not...

Just now, JayOzOne said:

She does have something to gloat about. The city saved $3 billion and gained 1,500 well-paying jobs. Her point was always that the money could be better invested elsewhere. The opportunity cost of that tax abatement was the inability to fix the subway, add street lights where needed and subsidize homeless shelters. Now, the city can use the money for those ends (if they choose) and still has the new jobs.

This is in no way a net loss for New York. She is right.

The space is supposed to handle 1.5k, but anyone who knows anything about tech companies knows they are already in NY. For all we know, they could already have 1.5k Amazon workers in the city meaning that it is a shuffling instead of new jobs. 

And the city isn't really saving 3 billion because a large chunk of the subsidies was in the form of refundable tax credits for creating 25k jobs. The city lost that 25k tax base. Think about how much tax money 25k high paid amazon office workers would bring in with NYs high sales and income taxes? 

6 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

if a town is dying and Amazon is the solution to bring it back... Just... No.

Amazon is going to exist either way. Minus whale allow my town to live. 

Honestly the idea that the gov should extend the richest company on the planet a 3 billion dollar subsidy is gross as sh*t. It's ****ed that so many of us want to act like that's a perfectly acceptable practice. 

That said in a city with the population of New York, 1.5k jobs doesn't even register. And come to think of it 25k isn't a whole lot either.

I'd certainly say the city comes out ahead on the current deal

Ofelia and mdrake34 like this

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

The space is supposed to handle 1.5k, but anyone who knows anything about tech companies knows they are already in NY. For all we know, they could already have 1.5k Amazon workers in the city meaning that it is a shuffling instead of new jobs. 

And the city isn't really saving 3 billion because a large chunk of the subsidies was in the form of refundable tax credits for creating 25k jobs. The city lost that 25k tax base. Think about how much tax money 25k high paid amazon office workers would bring in with NYs high sales and income taxes? 

Fair enough. In that case, who knows how many of the 25K jobs were new? They could just as easily be include jobs already in NYC. And those jobs are already paying taxes. You also fail to consider the infrastructure investment that the city would have to make to help the headquarters, which would not be abated taxes but actually would push other necessary projects on the back burner for years.

3 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Honestly the idea that the gov should extend the richest company on the planet a 3 billion dollar subsidy is gross as sh*t. It's ****ed that so many of us want to act like that's a perfectly acceptable practice. 

That said in a city with the population of New York, 1.5k jobs doesn't even register. And come to think of it 25k isn't a whole lot either.

It registers to the borough. That's a lot of loot locally, if not city-wide. But I agree that it's super gross to extend tax subsidies to a company with a $0 net tax liability on $200+ billion yearly revenue.

Just now, JayOzOne said:

Fair enough. In that case, who knows how many of the 25K jobs were new? They could just as easily be include jobs already in NYC. And those jobs are already paying taxes. You also fail to consider the infrastructure investment that the city would have to make to help the headquarters, which would not be abated taxes but actually would push other necessary projects on the back burner for years.

Given how much I see NY journalists complain about MTA. I think they don't need any help with that. 

5 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I posted a few tweets when it was actually news, but the subsidizing companies to come to your city isn't a win for cities. 

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/reports/2018/11/01/457771/realities-economic-development-subsidies/

HQ2 was Amazon trying to get cities to outbid each other in hope that the city they wanted all along would increase their bid. When HQ2 was announced someone on twitter predicted Amazon would pick a DMV location because it was close to their main AWS data center and Amazon's most profitable sector has been AWS as well as its fastest growing. 

And of course, VA was one of the HQ2 winners. and it only offered 800 million. 

Just now, JayOzOne said:

It registers to the borough. That's a lot of loot locally, if not city-wide. But I agree that it's super gross to extend tax subsidies to a company with a $0 net tax liability on $200+ billion yearly revenue.

It was split between NYC and NY state. the tax subsidies were from NY State. Relocation subsidies were also state based incentives. 

JayOzOne likes this

3 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

You said meanie head liberals are forcing you to vote for Trump, who was ::checks notes:: palling around with pedophiles. 

Of course you think there’s nothing wrong with Crowder. 

How dare crowder have a different opinion and views....of course you would dislike crowder.

8 hours ago, AF89 said:

Lane Kiffen going to Ole Miss

The mind boggles at all the entertaining ways this could backfire off the field

Really? People really don't learn, do they? Kiffin is a less accomplished, more obnoxious, low alcohol version of Jim Harbaugh.

52 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

I wanna say thanks to the "boomers" for storming the beaches and fighting in fields at only 18 years of age :golfclap:

Not Boomers, bro.  Either way, those dudes dealt with some ****.  Every time I watch the intro scene to Saving Private Ryan I **** my pants.  I couldn't imagine what that was like.

JayOzOne likes this

8 hours ago, Wokezone said:

How dare crowder have a different opinion and views....of course you would dislike crowder.

He uses homophobic slurs in his videos and engages in sustained homophobic harassment of them. So yeah, **** that guy. 

And, again, of course you would like him. 

Door Gunner likes this

1 hour ago, SpongeDad said:

I wanna say thanks to the "boomers" for storming the beaches and fighting in fields at only 18 years of age :golfclap:

Those dudes were definitely badasses, but what gets lost in history is that due to our ******** cultural norms at the time about the strong silent type, they came home and weren’t allowed to speak about the horrors they witnessed and were forced to bottle it up. And who knows how many of them turned into alcoholics and beat the **** out of their wife and kids as a result. 

This country has an ugly history of treating the young men it sends to fight its wars like garbage. 

3 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Those dudes were definitely badasses, but what gets lost in history is that due to our ******** cultural norms at the time about the strong silent type, they came home and weren’t allowed to speak about the horrors they witnessed and were forced to bottle it up. And who knows how many of them turned into alcoholics and beat the **** out of their wife and kids as a result. 

This country has an ugly history of treating the young men it sends to fight its wars like garbage. 

People should go read the history of "shell shock".  What some of those kids went through is nothing short of a nightmare.   That we have such a large homeless veteran population is a national disgrace.

mdrake34, SpongeDad and Door Gunner like this