Jpizzle

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

67,395 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, lostone said:

Well I finally tried the Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich... reminds me of the old kfc chicken sandwich but with a little heat.  Will eat again

When did Fast Food become popular? I thought millenials hate fast food.

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Boy, am I glad we're winning these meaningless games to make sure we have no chance at Chase Young.:rolleyes:

Bengals going 0-16 and getting him anyways

"Let me warn you, and let me warn the nation, against the smooth evasion that says: "Of course we believe these things. We believe in social security. We believe in work for the unemployed. We believe in saving homes. Cross our hearts and hope to die! We believe in all these things. But we do not like the way that the present administration is doing them. Just turn them over to us. We will do all of them, we will do more of them, we will do them better and, most important of all, the doing of them will not cost anybody anything!"" - FDR

19 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

FDR quote fits Bernie's position way closer than Kamala/etc. Warren is probably the only one closer. Bernie wants voters to help him take over our healthcare system and has promised it will be better and provide more. Only thing he hasn't said was that it wouldn't cost anything, but that is why Warren's stance is a better match. 

Just now, GEORGIAfan said:

FDR quote fits Bernie's position way closer than Kamala/etc. Warren is probably the only one closer. Bernie wants voters to help him take over our healthcare system and has promised it will be better and provide more. Only thing he hasn't said was that it wouldn't cost anything, but that is why Warren's stance is a better match. 

Don't twist yourself into too much of a pretzel.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Don't twist yourself into too much of a pretzel.

If your quotes made more sense in the context you are giving, I won't have to. 

5 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

If your quotes made more sense in the context you are giving, I won't have to. 

The context of the quote was FDR's opponents in the 1936 election were claiming that they actually supported the New Deal but they had their own plans that would accomplish the same thing but it would cost dramatically less. In essence, they weren't going to expand on what was already implemented and were going to gut what already existed but couldn't actually say as much since they were popular, hence why FDR was mocking them and warning the electorate.

Now, back in our time, the whole mantra of M4Am and other health insurance industry plans has been that they can implement M4A better than the original advocates and that they can somehow make it cover as much, if not more, than singlepayer while not raising taxes on most people. It's the smooth evasion FDR talked about.

4 minutes ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

FDR was born rich

Did you just look that up on wikipedia or something?

10 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

The context of the quote was FDR's opponents in the 1936 election were claiming that they actually supported the New Deal but they had their own plans that would accomplish the same thing but it would cost dramatically less. In essence, they weren't going to expand on what was already implemented and were going to gut what already existed but couldn't actually say as much since they were popular, hence why FDR was mocking them and warning the electorate.

Now, back in our time, the whole mantra of M4Am and other health insurance industry plans has been that they can implement M4A better than the original advocates and that they can somehow make it cover as much, if not more, than singlepayer while not raising taxes on most people. It's the smooth evasion FDR talked about.

Did you just look that up on wikipedia or something?

1st M4All isn't popular.

2nd Bernie's position still fits the quote better than your claim.

3rd. M4All wasn't built with efficiency in mind, so making it more efficient isn't actually controversial. 

4th They aren't claiming it will cost anybody anything. Their plans charge premiums or have an employer head tax, so technically middle class( income/payroll) taxes are not being raised. Bernie could make the same claim by changing his funding mechanism from taxes to premiums. 

15 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

1st M4All isn't popular.

2nd Bernie's position still fits the quote better than your claim.

3rd. M4All wasn't built with efficiency in mind, so making it more efficient isn't actually controversial. 

4th They aren't claiming it will cost anybody anything. Their plans charge premiums or have an employer head tax, so technically middle class( income/payroll) taxes are not being raised. Bernie could make the same claim by changing his funding mechanism from taxes to premiums. 

By your argument your plans also fit what FDR was talking about since they also aim to takeover large portions of the already existing market. Hence why you're twisting yourself into a pretzel to make the quote work for your position. It just doesn't work.

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

By your argument your plans also fit what FDR was talking about since they also aim to takeover large portions of the already existing market. Hence why you're twisting yourself into a pretzel to make the quote work for your position. It just doesn't work.

Now you are the one twisting yourself into a pretzel. My point had nothing to do with the plan I advocate for and I never considered my position.  FDR was talking about changes to the status quo. SS was the status quo at the time of the quote. I was pointing out from the status quo perspective Bernie's plan fits FDR's description.