Jpizzle

Not the new Donald Trump Presidency thread

72,787 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kicker said:

Ive never understood the “voting against their self interests” mindset here.  It’s always applied to poor whites.  If college educated whites support a democrat, arguably voting against what would likely be lower personal taxes, they are considered enlightened.  

If it makes you feel better, a dude on a friend's FB page is making that argument about conservative blacks right now.

I think that dude's issue is not with "people in a certain demographic profile," though, but rather just people he thinks are beneath him.  Perhaps that's a common denominator in a lot of those comments, but I wouldn't apply it to present company.

kicker likes this

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If it makes you feel better, a dude on a friend's FB page is making that argument about conservative blacks right now.

I think that dude's issue is not with "people in a certain demographic profile," though, but rather just people he thinks are beneath him.  Perhaps that's a common denominator in a lot of those comments, but I wouldn't apply it to present company.

I understand his point. The phrase should always be "apparent self-interest" because it views the voters in the prism of the person (like me) who has the audacity to judge what they should find important. If being lathered up by the thought of a wall to keep invading hordes out of the country is your priority, then I can understand why you'd vote for it at the expense of healthcare, which happens to be one of my own. With that being said, the Democrats will never craft a message that will reach those voters, so why not try to reach out to those on the other side that will vote for you if you give them a crumb?

JDaveG likes this

50 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Bernie couldn’t beat Hillary Clinton in a primary and is getting even less support this year.  He’s not going to even be the nominee.  Time to move on.

Boomerophobe!

3 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I understand his point. The phrase should always be "apparent self-interest" because it views the voters in the prism of the person (like me) who has the audacity to judge what they should find important. If being lathered up by the thought of a wall to keep invading hordes out of the country is your priority, then I can understand why you'd vote for it at the expense of healthcare, which happens to be one of my own. With that being said, the Democrats will never craft a message that will reach those voters, so why not try to reach out to those on the other side that will vote for you if you give them a crumb?

Agree.  I've been saying for ages both parties have areas where they leave voters on the table.  The idea of writing off categories of voters strikes me as both undemocratic and stupid.  Undemocratic because you still have to represent those people, even if you don't share their policy preferences.  That doesn't mean you have to throw them a bone, even, but if you are my representative, I'd like to know you don't think I'm an enemy. A tip of the hat toward people you disagree with goes a long way.

I think we're well past that level of civility, and unlike most, I think we've been there for decades.

9 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Still the best show ever. Sopranos limped over the finish line and Game Of Thrones season 8ed. Every character on The Wire stayed real for all five seasons was 3D and had good aspects as well as horrible shortcomings. I liked almost everybody on it but felt bad about it because they all did things that I found horribly inappropriate. Every single one of them. Possible exceptions being Freamon and Cuddy. Need to cue it up again soon.

22 minutes ago, AF89 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I actually watched that stupidity when it happened.  Hadn’t thought about it in decades.  Hope it’ll be another several decades before I think about it again.

11 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeah, I actually watched that stupidity when it happened.  Hadn’t thought about it in decades.  Hope it’ll be another several decades before I think about it again.

Hey a big ball of cheese they may have been but at least they won

So I can’t find a complete list of people who testified to the House, but I do count three witnesses whose testimony hasn’t been released:

Morrison

Vindman

Taylor

^^^I’m guessing tomorrow will be Morrison and Taylor will be released tomorrow, unless there’s another witness that I’m forgetting.  

Breaking news.  Sondland realized since testimonies are being made public, that he perjured his original testimony to Congress so he came back before them again and said he had his memory refreshed and he wanted to correct some things he originally testified about. He has now spilled the beans on Trumps bribery involvement first handed. 

Oh oh Donnie Corleone the walls are getting closer.